TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. ezradharma

ezradharma Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would just rename to GK7CX(letter)#S since that's whats still in common rn.

2. Zill

Zill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ok so it was a totally different system with different motherboard etc... not the thin chassis of the previous and current RTX laptop we have at the moment, right?

Why is the current 17 chassis offerening a rtx 2070 full tdp when the last gen didnt go above the gtx 1060 for both the 15 and 17...?

I'm trying to find out if they made the power delivery stronger on the current gen RTX 17 inch chassis

3. ezradharma

Reputations:
    Pretty much that's not related to any of the 15" thin and light models, I think we're really looking for the power chips to be the same as the RTX 2070 version, if the MAX-Q RTX power bus is not the same as the RTX MAX-P, very questionable what is a reasonable about of TDP would be able to handle.

4. ezradharma

Reputations:
  5. Zill

Zill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If the 115W vbios flash works I don't plan on running it at that level of power draw but somewhere in the middle of the stock 80W and the 115W so 90-95W.

I successfully flashed it at 90W and it was running very cool and if I hadn't lost use of my mini dp I would've been very happy to leave it at that. This was because I used the razer 15 vbios that has different mini dp setup. This 115W vbios I have should cause no problem with the mini dp its from the 17 2070 chassis.

I could only see it being a problem if I was overclocking the card and pushing the 115W constantly which would be a very bad idea, if anything I will running the card under the base and boost clocks it has when using the 115W bios. MSI Afterburner to the rescue!

I'm still hesistant tho, I wonder if it wouldnt be best to just return my laptop and just get a beefier setup but I love the form factor of the 15 inch chassis i have right now...

6. ezradharma

Reputations:
    I had the 15 before, upgrading to a 17 model to me was a good idea, since the 17 does have bigger vents, sub+ 2 speaker set sounds not bad, can run 15" CC and most drivers, still fits in my backpack, size is around a full size 15", has slightly thinner bezels, matte finish on the keyboard desk, larger touchpad, somewhat curved keycaps, better hinge, windows hello via IR Camera, it's just above 2.5 kg (5lb). I might do a weight reduction by removing speakers, one sub board, any cable I don't need removed, better quality screws, might even remove the number pad and custom print a over over it.

If you still wanted a 15" but a full RTX 2070 without being the one at risk, could try to asking some companies to try taking the 17" motherboard (unless really they are both the same) and putting it in the 15", replace all the thermal compound with liquid metal, add better thermal pads, panel mod the bottom increase the vent openings, add more mesh or replace the pattern mesh with flat mesh, maybe connect the heat sink to the keyboard backplate (unless it's really unsafe, could allow some passive cooling) and the modded panel. (I highly bet there would be one company willing to do this but they are going to charge you 100% extra) This would be the best possible way to cool the RTX 2070 at a desktop level if it was possible on the current power bus it uses.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  7. Zill

Zill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes the 17 was on my list but even though its only slightly smaller the 15 would still be the perfect laptop for me if I get to boost the gpu performance. I'm still struggling a bit with the keyboard but might be able to get used to it

8. ezradharma

Reputations:
    @Bruno@INPHTECH @XMG Do you guys happen to know if the 15" and the 17" shares BIOSes? Also does you happen to have the latest copies of the 15" GTX and RTX BIOS as well as the 17" GTX and RTX BIOS from either modified yourselves or tongfang directly?

Zill likes this.
  9. Jdoe84

Jdoe84 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am a bit scared of the fan noise reported in various reviews of the 15" model, is the 17" one better to use in a living room environment? Also, how ugly is the keyboard in reality? The hexogonal keys look a bit weird on a lot of pictures. Thanks a lot for your input!

10. ezradharma

Reputations:
    Fan noise is controllable (unless your Control Center doesn't work properly), I can run full passive runing 60 fps 1080 video while coding/dev, if your temps aren't great, the thermal paste might just be bad factory quality, most of the factory thermal paste has been reported to be really good, Keyboard doesn't look bad to me, the hexagonal doesn't affect my typing vs the 15" keycaps.

Do note selecting what mode you want will effect performance and fan speed.