TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I now have the Cyberpower Tracer III in hand!

I think it is an all around great laptop and the benchmarks and thermals have been good so far. Keep in mind I am not a laptop expert, though I have played around with my fair share of hardware. There are a lot of good things I could say about this laptop, and maybe I'll take the time to do so at a later date, but there are a couple things I want to make the prospective buyer aware of that may not have been self-evident.

1. While the lid is metallic, the rest of the machine is entirely plastic. The palm rest is made of that softish rubber/plastic material. Given the construction of the GK5CN6Z, I sort of had anticipated a better finish.

2. The keyboard is awesome. The keyboard is also horrendous! Will it matter to you? It depends.

I like the key travel distance, the keycap feel and style, the lighting (though it's basic), even the font, but THE SPACING IS NARROW. Yes, they must have taken the same substandard-sized keyboard from the Tongfang GK5CN6Z. To me, typing comfort and accuracy is way down, even after several hours of use.​

On 10Fastfingers.com I scored only a 131wpm average over three 60 second tests, 13wpm lower than my last 50 test average (taken on a variety of keyboards). On Typeracer.com I was at best getting 30wpm slower than my fastest speeds on identical texts (175wpm vs. 205wpm), but typing at an average pace is much less affected.​

So would this keyboard work for the average user? Most likely! I just don't know if my muscle memory will allow me to change to this smaller footprint keyboard. Also consider we are talking about just a 3% difference horizontally as measured, and the vertical distance is still standard.​

3. Fan behavior is... unpredictable. The OEM Tongfang Gaming Center seems to be functional, but not fluid. On one stress test I noticed my fans were still barely running while the cpu was climbing up to the high 80's celcius! I will do more testing.

4. And yes, everything is black. A pro for some, and con for others.

The only dealbreaker for me could potentially be the keyboard, as much as it hurts me to say. Overall the action and feel is superior to other laptop keyboards, if only my fingers didn't feel so daggone cramped...

p.s. Battery life.... ouch, I've got only 15 mins left after using it in office mode to browse the web for less than 90 minutes.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Arondel likes this.
  2. Alexandru Duna

Alexandru Duna Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @silverwolf0 Could you tell me what settings (brightness, undervolting) you used to get 5 hours of battery life? :) Also, how did you miscalculate the battery times at first?

@Installed64 Did you use the battery saver mode? :) (reduce brightness) Also, did you try undervolting the CPU for better battery times?

3. Installed64

Reputations:
    @Alexandru Duna Brightness was set to 80% but power saver was not properly engaged. Also, I did not change the power setting in Windows. Let me do a more accurate test with power saver mode engaged when I'm able.

4. Alexandru Duna

Alexandru Duna Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Installed64 I'd love that, thanks a lot! 80% brightness seems quite a lot (I remember watching some reviews which were mentioning battery life for 40% brightness) :) Maybe this could be of help (it's a review of the Mech 15 G2, the 15 inch brother of your laptop, by @B0B ):
    It gives some points about fan settings, undervolting (points to another one of his videos).

Installed64 likes this.
  5. Installed64

Reputations:
    Ok I will probably do the battery test tomorrow.

By the way this is probably the same computer as the 15". The mobo looks the same.

The memory used by Cyberpowerpc is ADATA ad4s266638G19-B.

https://imgur.com/JWad1A6

Alexandru Duna likes this.
  6. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Edge was acting up with Netflix and I used some old numbers. It did run only two and a half hours on my first go around with default drivers but after I installed a new ssd with fresh windows and used fresh new drivers and newer game center it went up to 5 hours .

Forgot to mention it is at least 75% brightness. The screen doesn't get that bright. Also -125mV undervolt.

7. silverwolf0

Reputations:
    I read in the other thread you were having 35w power limit issues? I can get over 45w if I really drop the resolution in some games ,increasing the framerate and cpu load. My turbo is 65w and short turbo is 80w. These were default values. Never touched them I am also using the 1.16 game center from the eluktronics site. Gaming mode for fans and the balanced power profile. If I encode something in handbrake , it will start off 80w for a minute with very loud fans but then drop fanspeed quickly and stay 65w for the entire encode which is 30 minutes.

Also want to see what bios you have. Mine is N.1.01 EC version 1.01.09

8. Installed64

Reputations:
    Only hit power limit throttling doing one of the benchmarks, can’t remember which one. I haven’t had much time to do further testing but will try some games today and see.

9. Installed64

Reputations:
    @silverwolf0 @Alexandru Duna

So the battery on my CyberpowerPC Tracer III 17 lasted 3 hours and 53 minutes until the failsafe shutdown. Better than expected, but I'll tell you how I tested it and you can adjust the result accordingly!

- Power Saving Mode engaged in Control Center
    - MyPowerSaving Windows power mode (as set by Control Center)
    - 30-40% brightness as set by Window Battery saver
    - Keyboard backlighting off
    - Bluetooth disabled
    - Three Chrome tabs open
    - Playing a Youtube music playlist at 100% player volume and 40% system volume, streaming in 1080p

This simulated streaming movies at a listenable volume, but with an absolute minimum of interaction such as loading pages or typing. So this is nearly a best-case scenario for battery life, as if you were to sit back and watch a feature-length movie.

Since, as I stated before, the internals of this computer appear identical to the GK5CN6Z, the only difference here in practice is the increased amount of power needed to run the larger screen. So, as B0b said in his Mech G2 review, you should probably expect no more than two hours of usage with light web browsing and multitasking.

Also worth noting that the Power Saving Mode lowers CPU clock speed to 800MHz, so it definitely feels slow, as would any laptop set on a low power mode.

Extra thoughts: if you don't mind the 15.6" screen, right now the OP 15+ laptop from Walmart is a hugely better value, at $400 less than I paid for a near identical system (plus better chassis quality).

10. silverwolf0

Reputations:
    That's too extreme for me. I have it set to balanced in game center and have the slider on the battery meter icon set to the left which is battery saver. It stays low chocked but boosts when it needs to. With that I got five hours in edge streaming Netflix 75% brightness. I know it's some weird software issue as my initial results like I mentioned before was only half that.