TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    English review on Youtube:

Update from Eluktronics, they now have brown mechanical switches on this and the MECH-15 in “very limited availability until the end of the year” according to a sales rep. The switch type is an option on their website.

According to the same Eluktronics sales rep, thermal performance is on par with or better than the MECH-15 (i.e. Tongfang GK5CN5Z/GK5CN6Z).

In other news, the Walmart “OP” version is sold out.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. GTRagnarok

GTRagnarok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Really liking that keyboard. I think this chassis should get a 1070 Max-Q variant.

3. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's something up to nVidia something about it fulfilling certain specs.

I've heard it being discussed possibly.

4. Installed64

Reputations:
    S̶i̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶1̶5̶"̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶8̶7̶5̶0̶H̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶u̶l̶l̶ ̶1̶0̶7̶0̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶1̶7̶"̶.̶ ̶P̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶.̶

Only wishful thinking! I see that it's not offered in the 1070... several of these models have run together in my mind.

The MSI GS73 Stealth for example is .77" thick, and contains a 8750H and 1070 Max-Q. The Tongfang GK7 is just over 1" thick so it should be able to handle it. I realize the GS73 runs hot, understandably so.

Display 17.3 "
    395.7 x 260.8 x 26.75 mm
    (W x D x H)

I took the dimensions from here. Eluktronics dimensions are incorrect since the MECH-15 and MECH-17 have the same measurements! I do not know if these figures include the sizeable rear rubber feet. Something curious about this notebook also is that the back is thicker than the front, causing it to sit at a slight angle. I suspect this will enhance the typing experience.

I think the 1060 6GB w/ 8th generation i7 hits that sweet spot of price to performance for a "primarily workstation plus gaming on the side" laptop. To add a 1070 Max-Q would likely spike the price $200-300 and you would only get ~5% to 11% better performance in games. (source)

~26% average gain of the 1070 Max-Q vs. the 1060 6GB in a variety of benchmarks is not insignificant, but in real-world application the gains are diminishing.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  5. Boj27

Boj27 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone know if this model can have a bigger battery like the 15 inch counterpart?

I’m deliberating between this and the clevo pa71ES.

The clevo unit doesn’t have the bezel-less display but it does have a full 1070 in it, and the price difference is only £100 for me.

I’m just scared of going for a clevo or tongfang laptop and getting nothing for it when I come to sell it as it isn’t really branded like dell or hp, MSI, asus etc...

6. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a cyberpower tracer III 17 if anyone has questions. For the low $1189 USD I got as well as 5% coupon it's good for the price. Surprised that it wasn't cheaply built despite it being a no name tongfang. Since I got basically the base model, cyberpower didn't really touch the laptop. There were no thermal paste options or vrm pad upgrades either.

The main negative is you lose out on support as there are zero drivers on the cyberpower website. It also comes with an outdated gamecenter for controlling the fans and rgb. Everything is easily downloaded or updated to from windows or the internet though, as they are all common components anyway like the intel wifi, nvidia gpu, etc. You can go to eluktronics website and under support you will find the mech 17 which is the same laptop and can download all the drivers there, including the newer gamecenter.

The only thing i really want is a bios update that fixes the fan behavior. It can boot dead silent and never turn on or it can boot and have the fans going at a medium spin and take ten minutes to turn off, then randomly turn back on five minutes later. These are with 35c temps on idle to 45c just browsing the internet. Really low for a laptop. The fan settings in the gamecenter do work somewhat, but I cannot tell if the lowest setting is for off or not because the thing still has a mind of its own. There's some conflicting fan curve, probably in the BIOS, that fights with the gamecenter. Usually no matter what settings you set, the system will override them at around 80c and turn the fans on at full blast. However, there was this one time I was messing with the settings and set it to the lowest continuous speed. The fan was low throughout but after 20 minutes of the witcher 3 the temps climbed to 83c and the fans just shut off completely. Then it kept climbing a degree every 15 seconds and hit 90c with the fans still completely off. I turned the game off to prevent it from going further.

The gaming mode, which is the default automatic fan setting, hasn't given me any cooling or fan shut off issues. But it's sporadic during light loads and overzealous for high loads. Basically loud and temps that never exceed 70c. The laptop would be even better if these fan issues were resolved. The hardware is all there.

Display : it's the same panel as the high end asus g7xx or the hp omen x 17. Really good viewing angles for an ips. Low ips glow. Zero backlight bleed. Good colors. 144hz looks smooth.

Speakers: they are full sounding but sometimes voices get distorted. Not the clearest speakers. They are about average for gaming laptop speakers. Better than the msi gs63/gs73 and gigabyte laptops but slightly worse than asus gl series.

Keyboard: I don't really like it but it works. There is zero resistance or activation force and no cushion on the bottom. It's so easy to press keys and so little feedback I tend to mash keys or type them out of order. They are better than some of the really low travel ultrabook keyboards though. The spacing is cramped and I mistype if I try to go fast. There is no click when typing. I assume these are the brown switches some people want. They still clatter when the caps hit the bottom though. It doesn't feel like a mechanical keyboard. The omen x 17 was way better.

Touchpad: surprisingly has some of the lowest input lag around. I'm not talking about the 144hz screen either although that does help. It tracks well and feels 1:1 and instant. The problem is for subtle movements, the drag from the touchpad surface can make it jerky. It is getting better though the more greasy it gets. Another issue is it will occasionally stop responding for some reason. Nothing new for windows laptops.

Build quality: pretty decent actually. It looks really bland and the soft touch finish on the palm rest feels rather cheap, but otherwise it is surprisingly rigid with no flex or creaks. Much better than msi laptops and a little better than asus gl series for rigidity.

Battery: the laptop has a small 46wh battery but has optimus. I was expecting around 4hrs of light use but one 2hr Netflix movie kills 70% already on battery saver. So less than 3. That's like g-sync on dedicated gpu numbers with integrated disabled. It was also rather slow and non responsive. Slower than an ulttabook on battery saver. I think gamecenter might be the culprit as it applies its own power plans.

Performance: don't know what comparable numbers would be to other gtx 1060 laptops but around 60fps on ultra 1080p in witcher 3. I can even do 4k at 30fps on medium.

Installed64 and Arondel like this.
  7. Installed64

Reputations:
    Great review! @silverwolf0

+1 for non-clicky keys, I wonder how soft they are in grams of actuation force - do they compare to MX-Cherry Red switches? Lighter or heavier than say a standard Mac chiclet keyboard? I get tired of low-travel laptop keyboards quickly and I had high hopes for this one.

Without the clicking action, I wonder what really differentiates these from regular scissor switches. I am disappointed to hear that the keyboard spacing is closer than standard, as the tight spacing on the 15-inch models was a negative for me (or did you mean the keycaps just sit closely to eachother?). Surely there was no good reason to cramp the keyboard on a 17” chassis.

It’s nice that Eluktronics has newer Gamecenter drivers available. Hopefully the fan abnormalities will get worked out... please keep us updated.

8. silverwolf0

Reputations:
    These don't feel mechanical to me. They feel cheap with no cushion. Really no force at all. Hollow feeling when the key clacks down onto the bottom. It's like an hp spectre or dell xps keyboard but with more travel, zero cushion zero resistance, wiggly keys, and annoying clack when it bottoms. I wouldn't game on these as just leaving your fingers on the caps might cause inadvertent depressions. I have no experience with buying specific key switches so can't comment. I'm making it sound worse than it is. The keyboard is usable if underwhelming and cheap feeling. At least the keys are not bendy like on really budget laptops. It is a bit cramped but since I'm more used to chiclet keys that have a defined bezel space in between, maybe I just need to get used to the layout.

edit: forgot to mention in the initial impressions that I was surprised the laptop came with windows hello IR camera and offered to scan my face during setup. The actual webcam is probably the worst I've seen on a laptop, but the face login from the IR sensor seems to work decently. These larger gaming laptops usually have zero forms of authentication.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Installed64 likes this.
  9. silverwolf0

Reputations:
    Miscalculated the battery numbers. Can get about 5 hours on battery saver watching Netflix. Pretty decent considering the 46wh size and 17" screen. Would be tempted to find and place the bigger battery in, which seems to be pretty plug and play, if I was actually more mobile with the laptop.

10. Alexandru Duna

Alexandru Duna Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    May I ask how you miscalculated the battery numbers :)? Also, what settings (britghtness, underclocking etc) did you use to get 5 hours of battery life? Thanks a lot!