TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Steerty

Steerty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Hey, thanks for posting your experience.
    Both my CPU and GPU are already undervolted to their absolute limits. Also your temps seem similar to mine.
    The real issue is that on a fresh repaste, no matter what kind of paste I use temps are always amazing, with the CPU not going over 80 degrees and fans staying relatively quiet. After a few days or a few weeks however, performance degrades to the point it's not sustainable. Depending on the type of paste used, this could mean 95+ degrees on the CPU with thermal throttling and fans on max.
    I came to realize that this is just because of a very badly designed heatsink on this laptop. The only thing I haven't tried so far is liquid metal, something I won't have access to for the next 3-4 months. I have already spent over 50 euro purely on cooling supplies however and I don't have high hopes.
    The only thing I don't have is an external cooler but I also don't want that, I bought a laptop specifically to be portable/non bulky.
    I had hoped a bios update would bring some kind of improvement but it seems impossible to track down a correct version, my laptop model seems to be very niche with its 1660ti.

2. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i had the exact same problem as you. no matter what kind of paste i used, the temps would be great (75-80C) under full load CPU for the first few days then it slowly creep up to over 90-95C after a week or two. i've tried kryonaut, mastergel maker. they all behaved the same. the tripod heatsink design is really bad

Steerty likes this.
  3. KORD_12.7

KORD_12.7 Newbie

Reputations:
    What about Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut pad? Someone tried this?

4. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need a very even heatsink to use carbonaut to its full potential. I lapped my heatsink to a mirror finish and in that case it performs as well as Liquid Metal without all the downsides.

KORD_12.7 likes this.
  5. Pabbeni

Pabbeni Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a problem. My laptop screen won't stop flickering when the brightness is too high. It is unusable at higher brightness. But when I lower the brightness to the lowest possible setting on battery, the flickering stops. When plugged in, I can up the brightness by one notch. The cause of all this is that while I was playing a game, suddenly, a power outage occurred in my area. Anybody know a possible fix for this?

Other details that might help: I'm currently using Throttlestop. I had it set to an "overlock" setting while playing the game. In the settings, I setup a battery profile that automatically changes it to my "low power" profile for battery mode when the laptop isn't plugged in. Is it possible that the sudden shift in throttlestop from the overclock setting to the low power mode when the outage occurred caused the flickering? My laptop was also hot while playing the game (about 75-80 C). Also, I plugged the laptop to an external monitor and it is normal on the monitor (laptop is still flickering though).

The laptop is Eluktronics Mech-17 G1R, i7-8750h, RTX 2060, 1080p 144hz, bought last March 2019.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  6. Steerty

Steerty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have tried it in a previous post but sadly, for me temps are even worse than paste. I included some comparison benchmarks in that post too.

7. KORD_12.7

KORD_12.7 Newbie

Reputations:
    Do you tried to lap heatsink to a mirror?

8. edwar

edwar Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently bought a overpowered 17+ on ebay, used but practically new. it was an amazing deal, but i have the famous rgb backlight not working. I've been researching and trying fixes: updating BIOS, changing control center for the one from other vendors, reseting windows, disabling/enabling rgb in the bios, I even opened it up and clean & reconect the ribbon cables for the keyboard and lightbar. all without luck.

the only thing is that when i updated the bios from N.0.08 (stock) to N.1.08. the Lightbar started working again. i tought this was a hardware problem but what happened to the lightbar gave me some hope.

I think this problem happens mostly with the overpowered version of the chassis, so.. does anybody knows if i can flash a bios from another vendor without making the laptop a brick.
    or maybe someone already knows a fix for this specific machine.
    by the way the model is GK7CN6S.

I will really appreciate some help, im happy with the machine but i really miss having a backlight keyboard laptop.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020