TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Steerty

Steerty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also to put it in charts just how much of a difference it makes since I tend to log everything:
    2020-07-14 22_11_09-HWiNFO64 v6.24-4120 Sensor Status [1 value hidden].png

Green line is after a fresh repaste of kryonaut. As you can see temp doesn't exceed 73 degrees during a 5 minute prime stress test.
    Red line is after 2 weeks of applying kryonaut. This is the point where if you remove the heatsink, you can see all the thermal paste has been squished to the sides of the CPU.
    Blue line is using the carbonaut pad. There's barely any difference.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  2. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thermal cycle it for a few days and see if the temps improve. The expansion and contraction of the die and heatsink squeezes the paste/pad. The thinner the pad gets the better it will perform.

If that doesn't do anything you'll need to get a more viscous paste. New mastergel maker, IC diamond, phobya nanogrease and Kingpin KPX are all quite viscous.

Steerty likes this.
  3. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i think your temps are in line with bob's findings. his max were about 90C+. important part is, the temps across all cores are very uniform.

Steerty likes this.
  4. Steerty

Reputations:
    I'll try this and report back in a few days. Thanks for your help so far.

If it was 90c max across the line I would simply be annoyed but this is after only 5 mins of prime95 blend test. If I let it run longer it gets hotter and starts thermal throttling. In game after just 15 minutes of playing it goes up to 95 degrees and therefor throttles using the thermal pad. Yeah I have uniformity across all cores but if I thermal throttle anyway what's the point? After a fresh repaste of kryonaut CPU doesn't go above 75. This also means fans don't spin as hard. It's just extremely annoying to me the laptop is designed this way. Seeing perfect temps after applying thermal paste but it only getting worse every single day to the point of thermal throttling and fans full blast...

5. Steerty

Reputations:
    Sadly thermal performance didn't get any better at all. I ordered some IC diamond as it seems the most viscous while still remaining a high performer. I'll report back in a few days.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  6. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bummer :(

Hopefully IC diamond works for you.

7. Steerty

Reputations:
    The IC diamond arrived already and I did some testing.
    To start things off, when I removed the heatsink the carbonaut pad was kinda stuck to the heatsink. It was still in the perfect spot so it didn't move, also when I tried to remove it it instantly tore as well. It also left a spot where it was placed. Is this normal behavior?
    Applying the IC diamond was really hard, you weren't kidding about the viscosity. Let's hope it means it will stick.

Here are the CPU stress test charts for a 5 minute prime95 blend test:
    cpu.png

As you can see, IC diamond seems to perform around 2-3 degrees worse than kryonaut but still over 10 degrees better than the carbonaut pad. Also my fans never went full blast unlike with the pad.

Here are CPU + GPU stress tests:

cpu gpu.png

Performance here seems to be about 5-6 degrees worse than kryonaut but still better than the thermal pad while keeping up a higher overall performance. GPU in this chart does need a repaste though, so maybe we can subtract a few degrees here.

Lets hope performance doesn't degrade over the next few days with IC Diamond. So far I'm satisfied.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    seanwee likes this.
  8. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That means that you had good pressure on the carbonaut pad. Looks like lapping the heatsink to a mirror finish is a must before using carbonaut even with good mounting pressure.

9. Steerty

Reputations:
    So far temperature has degraded by about 3 degrees. Still under 90 though so lets hope it doesn't get any worse.

On a side note, I'm still on bios 1.03. Is there an updated version I can use somewhere? My exact model is GK7CP6S with 9750h and 1660ti. Over on this forum https://www.win-raid.com/t4232f16-S...ns-of-rebranded-TONGFANG-chassis-systems.html
    My model isn't listed, closest one is GK7CP7S with bios 1.53. Is this compatible? It doesn't have to be unlocked, stock bios is fine.

10. Mr.Jones

Mr.Jones Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I didn't follow the thread completely, but I've got my Clevo P970 running great. If I remember they are very similar, although I have the RTX 2070 Max-Q, but do have the i7-9750H. From what I read the TONGFANG version has even better fans/cooling.
    I never hit 90C anymore during gaming, although stock I did have similar issues (getting so hot left hand side of keyboard above CPU would burn my finger holding down keys).
    I'm using Thermal Gizzly Liquid-Metal, imo the biggest thing you can do is CPU repaste, GPU undervolt using MSI Afterburner (20F Drop and running Core clocks +400 Mhz faster), CPU undervolt (I use ThrottleStop ,much more reliable than Intel XTU, -0.125 mV) & unrelated to temp issues Disable & Lock Turbo Power limits. I did update to the latest BIOS so that may have had an effect, but the former things made the biggest difference.
    GPU doesn't go over 76C under max load 100% (90W)
    CPU can sustain max load 100% without exceeding 90C (although this is usually at +55W)

During gaming, 90C temps remain to be seen although with stock setup quite normal under max load. A cooling pad dropped temps 10-15 degrees Fahrenheit, and I also added one of the coolers that is on the side CPU exhaust vent. With these additional items I can maintain +70W CPU load without exceeding 85C although this is during benchmarks with the added heat from the GPU (rather worth noting the CPU & GPU on my model share one heat pipe) which can have its pro's and cons.

I know I dont have the same model laptop as you but I know these things can help you so hopefully these will be helpful. My liquid metal was dried up (for lack of a better term) after a year and I had 25C lower temps during gaming after repasting.

Steerty and Mr. Fox like this.