TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This page shows a heatsink, but I don't know if it's the actual one. Doesn't look different to me.
    https://www.illegear.com/laptops/onyx-pro-selenite-pro/

2. ezradharma

ezradharma Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the keyboard is not good. I believe the issue is with the layout, i keep having typing errors, missed press or wrong activation. the travel is good, but key caps are wobbly. overall it's a poorly executed keyboard despite it being mechanical or optical

4. RainbowRunner

RainbowRunner Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This review has some photos for the internal.
    https://www.tech-critter.com/review-illegear-selenite-pro/
    Note the top heatpipe on gpu is not connected to the gpu side heat sink. And only one heatpipe goes to each of the two side heatsinks.
    [​IMG]
    A comparison photo of GK7. Note all three heatpipe on gpu are connected to the heatsink, and two heat pipes each goes to the side heatsinks.
    Essentially they are taking the cooling module of the 15 inch model, and pair it with a 115w (125w?) 2070... Not sure if that is a good idea.

Jared_T likes this.
  5. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The layout of the keys you mean? I don't see anything wrong there. I just think that a mechanical keyboard that needs to fit it a laptop isn't a good idea.
    I initially also choose a cevo P970 because it was typing better, but it had other issues where the TF is better. Oh wel, I use it mainly as a movable desktop with an extra screen these days...

6. Jared_T

Jared_T Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its a shame that they didn't follow what they did with the GK7. Aside from the actual size and thickness difference between the older 15 and 17in, the fact that they actually put a bigger cooling system in the GK7 made a ton of difference. I understand if the motherboard is the same between them but bringing the same cooling system just screams of cost cutting

7. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not sure, but it looks like the space is the same so maybe the old cooler could be used on this one. If so maybe cooling could be enhanced?

I'm also wondering if the battery could be swapped to the older model.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  8. ezradharma

ezradharma Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    So the newer one is using lesser copper than the original, kind of disappointing that they are doing this. I'm guessing it's to save on cost and weight.
    On the other hand,
    upload_2020-1-9_10-59-34.png
    I would really like a battery upgrade if they would just give us a new sub-board and a stock basic speaker,[​IMG]
    What is the reasoning for not just making the battery bigger to the left when there is space and would give us a chance for a bigger battery without heavy modifications. (15" mounting?, seems like that moves the weight to one side, they could just have custom mounting points for the 17")

EDIT: If the next-gen 15" has basically the same cooling system and specs as the 17" but TB3 removed to force people to pay more, what is the worth of the 17" then, just TB3?

Might want to contract a vendor rep to try to explain the reasoning of the cooling, honestly thing it makes no sense when the cheaper model has visually better cooling than the newer model.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  9. RainbowRunner

RainbowRunner Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The top left screw on gpu heat spreader block the third heatpipe from reaching the heatsink. Don’t think it is an easy fix. The review also shows the gpu reach 87 degree redline in some games, although other factors might also play a role here.

Still, wish they have use the cooling system of GK7 on 17 inch model.

10. Alexandru Duna

Alexandru Duna Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I have an OP 17+ (GTX 1060). Has anyone managed / is it possible to get the dGPU to work with Hackintosh (High Sierra)? I have an unlocked BIOS which allows me to disable the integrated GPU (I am, however, scared to try it :D). Has anyone done this?

Also, has anyone managed to get the sound working at full capacity (like it does on Windows with SoundBlaster Connect) on Hackintosh?