TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @genexis_x , maybe you can shed some light to a situation im having now. The selenite i'm using now, runs great and all, but 3 of the CPU cores tend to overheat and thermal throttle (over 10-15C difference between hottest and coolest core) while the other 3 cores temps are good. I've tried to repaste it, balance the heatsink and i'm using CM master gel maker paste. The temps were really good after that, quite balanced, probably around 5-6C difference between hottest and coolest core. however, the temperature difference will gradually increase over time, a period of probably a week or more, 3 of those cores will be back to overheating and thermal throttling state when pushed.

when that happened, i did a repaste again, and temps will go back to be good only to last about a week or so and it's back to thermal throttle. I've repeated this more than 3 times. At first i suspected the paste is not good, degrading over time, but then i tried recycling the paste (collecting the used paste from the heatsink and reapplying it back to the CPU die). Guess what? the temps were great even with a week old used paste.

At this point, i'm a bit at lost here, which is why i need your input or anyone who has experienced this or fixed this issue before. The heatsink is not balanced for sure which is why i tried to balance it and make it as flat as possible on the die contact area. what i can't comprehend is why are the temps good and reasonably balanced after the repaste and only after around a week it will start to have over 10C temp difference really quickly? and this happens regardless of new paste or recycled paste. Any thoughts?

2. AyoMayo

AyoMayo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's because of the triple mount heatsink design. 3 of the cores on the bottom half (double side screws side) of the heatsink will inevitably have the thermal paste pump out as there isn't enough pressure on the top side of the heatsink (single screw side) to keep the paste over the bottom cores. I'm personally never going to buy another high powered CPU laptop with this type of heatsink again. Even using thicker paste I still have to repaste every few months.

genexis_x and alexnvidia like this.
  3. alexnvidia

Reputations:
    so you are suggesting that the issue is at the area with very good heatsink cpu contact? i would think it's the opposite because right after a repaste, the cores that are still slightly hotter than the rest are the cores that became worse over time, not the cores that are cooler. logically, the cores that are cooler are the ones with the best cpu and heatsink contact.

but yes i agree with u, tripod cpu heatsink design is the worst!

4. genexis_x

genexis_x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Probably due to a poor fitting (caused by either uneven heatsink surface or uneven CPU die surface), causing thermal paste to dry out. Like what happened with my own laptop. I couldn't think of other solution except for heatsink lapping. This issue is common among tripod heatsinks unfortunately.

Edit: If you use TG Kryonaut for this kind of heatsink it will dry out even quicker. 1-2 days from my experience.

alexnvidia likes this.
  5. alexnvidia

Reputations:
    I was hoping CM master gel maker to be less prone to drying up due to thicker paste and that's pretty much the best paste you can source in KL that is an alternative to kryonaut.

Looks like we need to live with this handicap. sigh....

6. genexis_x

Reputations:
    It's less prone to dry up actually. It just that almost any paste will dry out without a good fitting. I've repasted my laptop for 10+times. Probably reaching 20.

alexnvidia likes this.
  7. alexnvidia

Reputations:
    i'm not far behind. probably around that figure too. so did you manage to fianlly resolve your laptop cpu core temperature difference?

8. genexis_x

Reputations:
    Unfortunately no. And Lenovo refused to change the heatsink (they say 95c is normal...)

9. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have no thermal paste on CPU and GPU but graphic pads. It is normally not the best solution but my temps with a 50mV undervolt never goes above 80-85 degrees celcius on both CPU and GPU.
    With an undervolt of 100mV on CPU I have 75-80 as max.
    Usualy I limt the CPU till 3.2GHz and GPU @1440MHz and than I reach only 70 on CPU and GPU in GTA V, Fra Cry 5 etc with good framerates (100+).

Maybe you should give it a shot.

10. ezradharma

ezradharma Notebook Consultant

Reputations: