TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. ezradharma

ezradharma Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did anyone ever found out the difference on Equilibrium Mode (w/ Windows battery slider set to power saving) vs Power Saving Mode?

@hodgeMN I think it'll depend on the power adapter they ship it with (stock would be 180w, they could give you a 230w).

2. LamsonMusic

LamsonMusic Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So I had to do a clean install of windows in order to update to version 1903. And also used that as an excuse to get a new 970 EVO Plus boot drive to replace the cheaper Samsung nvme that came installed.

My only issue is after the reinstall I cant seem to get Sound Blaster Connect to recognize my laptop as a valid piece of hardware. The bottom of the app just states that "your audio device cannot be detected. Please check connection".

Has anyone experienced this after doing a clean install?

3. badmod

badmod Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have Mech 17 with 2070 and I noticed in Nvidia control panel some options are missing like videos. Anyone have these options? Some people say these options are not available in Optimus enabled laptops and I don't know if this laptop has Optimus.

4. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't believe there's optimus on these machines. @Eluktronics mentioned they would if they could find a way.

5. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They are optimus enabled (using the iGPU).

6. undervolter0x0309

Reputations:
    I thought optimus is when you enable nvidia gfx only. Meaning the intel integrated graphics card is disabled by default.

7. ezradharma

ezradharma Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think Tongfang is really using Optimus since the way it does it isn't like how other laptops to behave. A lot of other laptops can switch off the iGPU but Tongfang is wonky and will keep both of them on even with a unlocked BIOS

that happens almost always when doing a clean install. the process to get SBC back is to download and install all the correct drivers in order. It takes some trial and error.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2019
  8. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi i saw that you have reviewed the GK7CQ8S (illegear selenite i7 9750H + RTX 2080 Max Q) model which i believe does feature GPU boost as well. a couple of questions

1. How many watts does the GPU pull when in normal mode and when in GPU boost mode?

2. what's the average GPU frequency when running in GPU boost mode?

3. Is the 230W power supply enough to power the laptop with 2080MQ in GPU boost mode? does the battery drain when under load?

4. I understand the laptop is optimus capable. is there a mux switch to disable the iGPU and run on dGPU full time?

5. which model would you go for? 2060 with GPU boost, 2070 with no GPU boost or 2080MQ with GPU boost?

9. undervolter0x0309

Reputations:
    I'd go with the highest gpu I can afford and the $/performance is good. Having a good gpu has been the most important factor in keeping my laptop beefy and having a high resell value.

10. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    normally i would agree with you, but we are talking about Max Q crap here. a max performance 2070 can easily be as fast or faster than a typical 2080 Max Q, and you are forced to pay a lot more for little to no performance gain.

case in point, the 2060 max performance with GPU boost / elektroboost is way faster than 2070 Max Q crap and just slightly behind a poorly executed 2080 max q

undervolter0x0309 likes this.