TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. SlickDragon

SlickDragon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeh sorry i spaced, missed that it said 17" model in the specs, assumed after you saw Bob's review that you went for the 15". And yeh i guess u can't get Eluktronics to send it to you if you are out of the States, which is a bummer. Still i'm sure it will be a beast of a machine! And yeh when you get it let us know how the Graphite pads do on it relative to stock thermal paste.

2. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have tested the Clevo P970EF (i7-8750h with RTX2070mq) completly before sending it back and it performed very well. If the screen wasn't bend and the keyboard very hot to touch, I would have kept that one.
    I will test this one in the same manner. I expect a bit higher temps because of full RTX2070 instead of RTX2070mq, or the Tongfang has a much better cooling solution. That is also possible.

I hope it can run with the same low FAN noise (Clevo was running on 53-55%) and the keyboard is not to hot.

3. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Many, I’m sure, would like to see a comparison review of the Tongfang and similar Clevo. When I compared my current system with the Clevo PA71 in person, the Tongfang was the winner for me based on screen quality, keyboard, and thermals.

4. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I will do my best to perform a one to one comparison to have a clear view between both.

I think I will recieve it next week or the week after. We will see.

5. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm or deny that there exists a GSYNC version of this chassis? Cause so far, I've only heard of this laptop being in optimus mode only and now someones telling me a reseller in the UK has a GSYNC version.

6. ezradharma

ezradharma Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's possible to soft-mod G-Sync if someone has the level of programming to do it. Otherwise Tongfang would be the ones able to add it hardware wise. G-SYNC results in the display forced on dGPU and iGPU being pretty much rarely used.

7. hawk1410

hawk1410 Bird of Prey

Reputations:
    Hey guys been almost 10yrs since I last visited this forum cause that's when I bought my last laptop, but now that I'm looking for a new one I'm back for some advice, been going through this thread and it looks to me that this is a solid laptop. Ive been considering the eleuktronics mech 15 and the Alienware m15. I know alienwares/dells suck but it's that 4k IPSscreen that makes me want to go with that, I will be using the laptop for some gaming and mostly media consumption. 4k is a bit overkill but I'd have loved it if they offered a 1440p screen for this laptop. Anyway moving on to my questions,

1. What's the battery life like on this with the 62whr battery, I'm not talking about gaming but web browsing, Netflix/YouTube in office mode

2. Is it worth the extra cost to spring for the 9750h version? I've been reading about performance benefits through eleuktroboost and was wondering if a 1660ti with the boost tech would outperform the 2060 8750h in modern AAA titles. The 8750h + 2070 max q costs only 100$ more than the 9750h + 1660ti. I'd probably opt for the 8750h + 2060 version though. Or is it worth it to spring for the 9750h + 2060 model for eleuktroboost and the speaker improvements(I also wanna know how major these speaker improvements are, like I said media consumption is a top priority and I don't wanna have tinny speakers, although I'm coming from a 2011 MacBook air, so as long they're not too bad ill be fine)

3. What's eluktronics return policy like? If I'm not satisfied with my purchase is it easy to return? What kind of restocking fees and processing times am I looking at?

4. What's do y'all think of the keyboard? I don't mind a loud keyboard as long as it's comfortable.

5. Does eluktronics.com not charge a sales tax for California, I've done the checkout right until I have to click place order but never saw any sales tax applied to my total.

6. Any other issues with the chassis I should know about and keep a lookout for? I know the Dell/Alienware has tons of reported common issues but don't see anything on this thread for this chassis.

Edit : forgot one - 7. What's the performance like on the stock 500gb electronics nvme drive. Any idea what kind of nand and controller it uses? While customizing I see one option for the 500gb eluktro pro SSD and another one for the 512gb adata one. I'm most likely going to order on of the models which don't offer SSD customization and come with the "512GB (500GB Over-Provisioned) Ultra Performance NVMe PCIe SSD", is that the in house SSD or the a data model?

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  8. SlickDragon

Reputations:
    1) Battery life isn't great from my experience. Maybe 3 hours if u have settings on low. I run with max settings and only get a couple hours of youtube stuff in office mode.

2) Worth getting the 9750. Eluktroboost 1660ti is better than standard 80 watt 2060. Cheaper too.

4) Keyboard is pretty awesome. First time using a mechanical keyboard, but its a joy. Not too loud either, and the Rgb is nice.

5) Sales tax is only for Delaware where Eluktronics is located

6) Best chassis ive ever used. Sturdy, not hard to access internals, temps are great.

7) I got the 512 adata one. Can read reviews for it and find its specs- https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-ssd,5955.html.
    Over provisioned just means that if they are out of the 512 adata one, they will use their 500gb elulktronics one.

Here is mine nearly half full, temps normally at about 37, during benchmark mid 40's- Speeds would be higher if not as full, but generally it is solid- [​IMG]

hawk1410 likes this.
  9. hawk1410

hawk1410 Bird of Prey

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. I've been in touch with the Eluktronics sales dept about the return policy and it looks like they offer a 72hr return period where they don't charge a restocking fee. Its a little short but manageable, 3 days is enough to tell if you like a laptop or not. Now the only thing preventing me from placing the order right this minute is the screen. I like having a high res screen even though its mostly useless for gaming but I still prefer the higher DPI for web browsing, I'm one of the few gamers willing to sacrifice 144hz and low response times for a higher resolution. Is it possible to manually perform a screen upgrade for this chassis to a 4k or 1440p screen? There is a Bobofalltrades video on youtube for upgrading the screen and it looks fairly manageable(EDIT : Nevermind, looks like that one is for an older gen of the mech15) but I have no idea if it is just as simple as getting the right panel that'll fit and swapping out the old one. This uses the same screen as the Gigabyte Aero 15 and Razer Blade 15 both of which offer a 4k option. So a thin bezel 4k screen that could possibly fit in the chassis does exist but I have no idea if such a swap is possible. The model for the 4k display that the Gigabyte uses is AU Optronics B156ZAN03.1 (AUO31EB), a quick search revealed that its available on ebay for 150$ or so, but not sure this screen will fit the Tongfang chassis even though it fits other laptops that use the same 1080p screen as the Tongfang. There could also be possible bios/driver issues, again not entirely sure. Anyone have any info regarding this? Also does anybody know if Eluktronics is going to offer a higher resolution display upgrade in the near future.

I'm currently using a Dell XPS 15 9570 since my macbook air died on me a month ago, and this display has literally spoiled me, along with the build quality its the only saving grace of this laptop and also what has me interested in the Alienware cause that has the same screen. I'm going to return this Dell when I receive my new laptop, it is a display model from Costco that I got a great price on that I picked up solely to see how Dell was doing these days and to tide me over till I can decide on what laptop to actually buy.

10. SlickDragon

Reputations:
    Eluktronics sales dept and customer support is fantastic. 3 days return w/no fee isn't ideal, but i doubt it will take you more than a day to realize it's great value for the money.
    I have had no issues with the 144hz screen. High refresh rate is ideal for gaming, that is in fact the main draw. I haven't heard anyone successfully "upgrade" the screen to 4k or 1440p. If u are dead set on those options (i would only consider 1440p to be semi-relevant, 4k is not ideal in laptop form factor, even for 17", and to hope to get 60 fps at that resolution you would need a Rtx 2080 with alienware 51m levels of performance on their 200 watt V-bios) you should probably look elsewhere, and expect to pay hundreds more.

I doubt that Eluktronics is planning on offering higher resolution display for this chassis anytime soon, albeit you can ask them via email.

I'd be wary of getting most Dell or Alienware laptops if you care about thermals. They have been rather poor in that department, with the exception of the Alienware 51m. If you do go for one of those, might be worth getting it from a Reseller like Hidevolution to get upgraded thermal options like Liquid Metal and Fujipoly Thermal pads. Expect to pay much more though.

If i were you and went for the Eluktronics Mech, i'd go for the 17. It's thermals and graphic performance is better than the 15", and it is surprisingly compact and sleek. Jarrod'sTech told me he will have a review of my model, with the 9750h and 1660ti, in the coming days, so you can see for yourself how well it does. I haven't even reached the limits of my machine yet, and im at over 17,100 graphic score with EluktroBoost on Turbo mode with a radical undervolt down to .868 volts (relative to the standard 1.038) at 1980mhz core clock and +800 memory overclock. I expect to reach a whopping 17.5k graphics score once i finish with my undervolt/overclock curve, a score that overclocked 80 watt rtx 2060 does not reach. Cpu has hit 17k plus before as well (can see that on an earlier page), but need to just find the best voltage for that- https://www.3dmark.com/fs/19403141

undervolter0x0309 likes this.