TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Riktar

Riktar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don’t think it has to do with the output of the laptop. I game with it closed and two external monitor outputs and I have no issue with it pushing out performance. I even ran hwinfo to ensure it’s drawing the proper amount of power.

2. ezradharma

ezradharma Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. scope92

scope92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Quick question: Would I be able to use 2 nvme drive at the same time? I switched the factory drive to a larger one. So the new larger drive is in the lower slot and the factory drive is in the top slot. The bios recognize the larger, but not the factory drive. Says the other slot is empty. Secondly, I am able to boot into the new drive just fine. There should be no issues with either drive as I am still able to boot into the factory drive by itself.

4. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's here!!!!!!!!!!! @B0B's awesome review is here!

TrogloLite and SlickDragon like this.
  5. SlickDragon

SlickDragon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeh been watching it as i eat dinner, a fabulous review, as expected! Only bummer is that he only had the two 15" versions, and not our 17", but he prefers the smaller size. The temps and in the case of the rtx 2070 the performance will be better with the 17", but otherwise its a very helpful and informative review as usual.

He also has an unlisted video in the description discussing EluktroBoost, things we shouldn't discuss much publicly lest we risk our Amazing Feature. Took me a while to figure out exactly what was going on, but after heavy testing and benchmarks, i have a solid grasp of things. Tldr the Hype is real, a truly game changing feature.

I've been able to get things to the point where i don't even power limit throttle much more than half the time in Unigine Heaven with a massive undervolt on my 1660ti from the stock 1.05 volts to just .925 volts, and with an overclock to 2070 Graphics Core ( +135 over max base of 1935, +240 in Msi afterburner voltage curve relative to stock) as well +800 memory overclock-
    [​IMG]
    Here is with it power limit throttling here and there a few seconds later, but maintaining about 2055 clocks permanently (slightly lower than 2070 max due to the "high" temps of mid 50's lol) - [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    B0B, TrogloLite and undervolter0x0309 like this.
  6. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My preference for 15 inch laptops is irrelevant and this is what the company sent me. They outsell 17 inch laptops by a landslide.

Personal preference in this situation if I were to buy one of these it would be the 17 inch model with the 1660 TI with some liquid metal and I would call it a day.

If they brought the sale back on that model for 1250 I would consider picking it up myself.

7. LamsonMusic

LamsonMusic Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes and no. You can use two M.2 drives however only one will work at nvme speed. The location that the factory drive was installed is the 4 lane slot that will support nvme. The second slot will support most M.2 drives that use the SATA protocol, and should work with nvme drives as well with one caveat. It will only use 2 lanes and be limited to SATA speeds, so if you've bought a second nvme drive for that slot you likely overpaid and would get the same performance from a cheaper SATA protocol drive like a crucial mx500.

A big thing to understand if you don't already is that NVMe isn't an interface, it's a protocol like SATA. M.2 is the interface that can support a wide variety of hardware.

With all thay said and understanding that the factory drive will now run at lower speeds in that second slot, you could probably get the drive to show up after it's reformatted. Is it discoverable in disk management? It likely needs to have that reformat done or there is a conflict of the drive path.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    SlickDragon likes this.
  8. SlickDragon

Reputations:
    Oh i just thought that maybe you had requested the 15" inch models, since I've heard you in other videos discuss how you like them. As i wrote in a comment on your review, no doubt the 15" inch models in general sell more than 17", hence they are the default size for laptops/gaming laptops.

Interesting that you would opt for the 17" with 1660 ti. I can say that its been a real pleasure, and temps and performance have been fantastic for the $1250 deal pricepoint (+25 for Master Gel). Often times 17" cost more for the same specs, and 15" also can be found on sale more often, so it's not surprising that the 17" newegg deal i posted ( https://slickdeals.net/f/13053229-e...ue-1660-ti-and-i7-9750h-gaming-laptop-1249-99 ) blew up alot more than the 15" newegg deal - https://slickdeals.net/f/13061746-e...60ti-i7-9750h-512gb-ssd-144hz-ips-f-s-1249-99. 39k views versus 15k views, +97 Deal Score versus + 19. I am pretty certain that in that case the 17" sold more, even-though 15" would win in a landslide generally.

Sadly i don't think the sale for $1250 will be back soon, because as is Newegg was subsidizing it in order to make the sale happen in the first place. Best bet if one has spare stuff such as Ram/Ssd's, or wants to get their own, is to just go with the base upgraded model at $1200 - https://www.eluktronics.com/MECH-17 . The $50 more for a 512 gb adata s8200 pro nvme, 16 gb of ram, windows 10 , and the Luminosa mouse and mouse pad (thing is too massive) was quite worthwhile though.

Only slight bummer i've had is that after "upgrading" my Ram to these 2 16gb sticks i had for a couple years (where i bought- https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232189 , official page- https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2800c18s-16grs ), that are supposed to be 2800 mhz, are only running at 2400, and not the 2666 max that the laptop should handle (and that the base ram sticks were running at, albeit at c19 timings). I guess only if there was XMP support in the bios would i be able to run them at 2666 (or ideally even 2800), so that is what i'd have on my wishlish for the laptop. Bob noted that the Bios is pretty good for the Eluktronics Chassis, and it is, but the one way it could be improved Imo is having those Memory options.

Installed64, B0B and LamsonMusic like this.
  9. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Crap I forgot to state XMP! It was in my notes too lol.

I wonder how difficult that is to implement? Making sure higher frequency memory is compatible I’m sure can be a finicky process.

An i9 and a 1660 ti with a 144hz FHD screen would suit me perfectly.

I want the stronger CPU for video editing and a 1660 ti is more than enough for how I personally play my games.

They ditched the i9 as it didn’t sell and cost them $$$ more on their end vs the i7.

10. SlickDragon

Reputations:
    Ha, good that i mentioned it then, even if was a bit too late to make it in the review. Still it seems pretty rare for laptops to have memory options/XMP in Bios these days.
    I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement. I do know that with the Area 51m, it has been stuck at a sad 2400mhz limit, eventhough the sticks that come with it are 2666. Alienware has been "working on it" for months now to get it to normal speeds.. Next time i speak to Eluktronics Ceo, i'll bring up the Memory/Xmp thing. It's more of a Dream type thing, but if somehow they were able to implement it, would make this an even more compelling buy.

If there is any chassis at this size/weight point that can handle the new i9 8 core mobile processors, it would be this. I could use the extra clock speeds as well for Emulation, since it's super demanding on the Cpu. The 1660 ti on the 17" is truly the best option though in terms of value if one isn't interested in using Ray Tracing. However the rtx 2060 here really gets the most impressive uplift from EluktroBoost, and finally makes it resemble (somewhat) an actual Desktop 2060. The "normal" 80 watt tdp of Rtx 2060 laptop's should really be called Max-Q relative to reference Desktop 2060 at 160 watts. This EluktroBoost 2060 finally acts like a Max-P version should.