TONGFANG GK7CN6S / GK7CP0S / GK7CP7S

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Bauble

Bauble Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    All those scores are out of the box. I did some investigating to see if it is undervolted out of the box, and this is what I found with HWMonitor.

The IA Offset is -0.051.
    The LLC/Ring Offset is -0.051.

Everything else is sitting at +0.000. So, it does look like it is slightly undervolted out of the box.

I'm waiting for Bob's review of the Eluktroboosted Eluktronics laptops. I'll also be reading up on undervolting and tweaking over the next couple days so that I'm up to date on the whole scene. (Any suggestions for what to read would be appreciated!) After that I may try some undervolting myself to see how it impacts various benchmarks. I'll post the results when I do.

2. Riktar

Riktar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've tried undervolting over the 50mv undervolt that came directly from Eluktronics and i've seen very little performance increase (have a few back to back tests a few page back). Even temps during benchmarks were negligible. I'd assume the big difference would be during longer gaming sessions where temps would stay lower for longer but honestly i've pushed it for 2+ hours and have never seen this break past 78 and that was a spike on auto fans. GPU overclock did return some decent results.

Installed64 likes this.
  3. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you using the 17 inch model?

4. Riktar

Reputations:
    Yes, 8th gen i7 +2070

5. Xiranhi

Xiranhi Newbie

Reputations:
    So, I've been using my GK7CP7S now for abit over a month. I bought the i7 8750h / RTX 2070 setup and upgraded to 16gb RAM.

I have not many complaints so far, but one keeps bugging me... maybe you guys can give me some insights/tips.

I have the system hooked up to a Dell Alienware AW3418HW monitor running 2560x1080 @ 144Hz (did not overclock) using a good mini-DP to DP cable.

With some games I have to do some tricks to make the game run great. Example: when I start Overwatch on the external display with the laptop screen on, the game feels laggy - under 60 fps performance I would say. When I first close the laptop lid and then start the game I get better performance but for my feeling not over 100 Hz. From this situation, when I open the lid and turn the laptop screen on it goes to 144 Hz, super smooth no problem.

For most steam games I just get good performance on the external display when I launch the game with the laptop open and screen on.

I think the laptop goes into a low power mode or something similar when I close the lid. Windows settings should avoid this (I selected do nothing when closing the lid), but it seems the laptop overrides this. I cannot find any settings in the bios.

I am using throttlestop (-50 mV undervolt), could this be the issue?

Xir

6. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Xiranhi

If you run the games on both screen, the iGPU of the CPU is involved (always, due to lack on G-Sync). This ptobably can’t process the data fast enough for both screens.

When you close the lid (turn off screen), the iGPU is not needed for the laptop screen. If (and it looks like that from your post) the DP/HDMI port is directly connected to the discrete GPU, the iGPU is passed by and you will have buttersmooth performance.

Best way tot test.
    Run a gaming benchmark in 1080p on laptopscreen.
    Do it with mirrores view and with laptop closed and look at the results.
    If closed lid is better that only laptop screen, the port is connected directly.

Xiranhi likes this.
  7. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Xiranhi Congrats for a great laptop purchase. Have you monitored FPS in-game to know for sure what your framerates are? I recommend MSI Afterburner for this.

I have also had issues with low framerates while connected to an external display (HDMI to 1080p 60hz TV). I have not been able to isolate the cause which could be drivers, unstable GPU overclock, background processes, drivers, or game instability; but I'm thinking it could have to do with the secondary screen and/or the HDMI connection. When monitoring system stats with MSI Afterburner (Rivatuner OSD) sometimes it will drop to low framerates yet the CPU and GPU are well under full utilization. I keep the laptop lid closed it is running at full power.

It may have been discussed before, but does anyone know if the HDMI and DP on this chassis are wired directly to the GPU or if they have to pass through the iGPU?

I purchased some good mini-DP to DP cables with the computer, but decided not to use it with my dual monitor setup, so I'm just using HDMI with a TV. If someone wants to buy one or two of these VESA certified DP cables off me, make an offer.

@B0B Looking forward to your review of the Eluktronics Mechs + Eluktroboost.

Xiranhi likes this.
  8. Riktar

Reputations:
    That’s interesting, sorry to hear you’re running into issues. I’ve been using my laptop with dual monitor outputs and I haven’t noticed any issues. I did have an instance when i had only 1 plugged and the laptop open as well where it felt like it was competing for resources... but that with an hdmi input and haven’t been able to replicate it since I started using dp.

I have both plugged into the display ports and run fully at 144hz. Make sure that when you unplug it and plug it back in you’re actually back at 144hz. Mine tend to default back to 60hz for some weird reason. Simply go into Nvidia control panel and set it there.

Xiranhi likes this.
  9. Master Stewie

Master Stewie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe he has 15" models. Those are cooling wise not representative for the 17"as the cooling is very different. The added heatpipes and bigger fans are a huge difference.

10. Xiranhi

Xiranhi Newbie

Reputations:
    @Master Stewie @Riktar @Installed64

Will try some, but I do really find it strange ... I think it might be related to the games. I found this on blizzard forums:
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/fps-drop-when-connected-to-external-monitor/323736/5
    They cant seem to figure it out neither.

In steam I can launch games normally with both laptop and external screen on. Runs fine. But when I close the lid and then start games I choppy performance, even in a low demanding title like rocket league.

I think the laptop does not like to output the full GPU when the lid is closed. But I cannot find the reason for it... hmm well ill leave the laptop open I guess.