TongFang GK7 vs Clevo PB51?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by TheUberMedic, May 4, 2019.

?

Which laptop to get?

1. TongFang GK7 / PCS Recoil III RTX 17

66.7%
  2. Clevo PB51 / XMG Pro 15

33.3%
  1. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi! So near the end of this month (May), I'll finally order a new laptop to replace my Clevo P670RS-G and I'm choosing between these two chassis' for both portability and power. The exact models are the PCS Recoil III 17 and the XMG Pro 15. Looking for thoughts on thermals and looks in general. I currently am a CS uni student and use my laptop for note taking, codeing and LAN parties so no "just get a desktop meh" comments.

Common specs between them:
    • i7 9750H
    • RTX 2070 (not MaxQ, thankfully)
    • 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz
    • 512GB ADATA SX8200 Pro (current OS drive in P670)
    • Repasted with Conductonaut / Kryonaut
    • Both weigh around the same
    • Plan on multi screen gaming with 3 x 1080p screens when at home away from uni so having display options is kinda important. Rather save the HDMI for VR.
    Here's my current thoughts on them so far from what I've read and their initial specs:

GK7 / Recoil III 17
    • Only a small 40HWr so I'd be getting the larger 64WHr battery
    • Would need to replace the 2.5" SSD one in my P670 with an M.2 one. Upside is that it'd be replaced with an ADATA SX6200 Pro 1TB
    • Can replace battery + SSD later if needed or outright not do it if 40WHr battery is sufficient
    • With the bigger battery + replacement SSD, it still ends up £6 cheaper than the PB51. Without the battery, it's a massive £76 cheaper
    • Has Windows Hello (I think?)
    • No GSYNC. Means a longer battery life but might be an issue cause current P670 has it
    • Is a 17" so only slightly smaller than current laptop but thinner than PB51
    • Could sell current 2.5" SSD with P670
    • Potential upgrade to 1440p 120HZ screen
    PB51 / Pro 15
    • 15" laptop so MUCH smaller than current P670
    • Has more ports: thunderbolt 3, more USBs etc.
    • Glass trackpad w/ fingerprint reader
    • Thicker than GK7 and not much thinner than current P670
    • Has to be bought from Germany (for GSYNC + per key RGB, I'm paying alot, I want that per key!), potential Brexit issues :|
    • Get to keep 2.5" but slower than potential NVMe replacement from GK7
    • Potential upgrade to 240hz 1080p screen

The keyboard has to be good as I actually have to use it not just for gaming but for coding as well. I've heard mixed reviews about the GK7s keyboard but would like some more info on them. Are they so loud as to annoy the people around me or are they decently quiet? And which keyboard is the brightest? And what's the power bricks between them? Are they big and chunky or thinner and lighter than most?

2. TrashMcPhail

TrashMcPhail Newbie

Reputations:
    I love PCS, but Chillblast sell a Phantom 17", same chassis as Recoil RTX, which has the option of G-Sync on the panel. Such a shame PCS don't have a 17" laptop with G-Sync other than their Octane tank model.

They are reputable, looking at their site www.chillblast.com

3. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Only problem with them is that it costs £165 more and with stuff I don't want and can't remove (the hard drive)