Tongfang GK5CN5Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  2. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes! But there are companies which already have stock, so please add the others to the OP like Dream Machines in Poland and Illegear who have stock already

As mentioned, our version has a different keyboard and sandblast aluminium finish...i can't say more until we release our version, but this will be in a couple of weeks.

Vasudev and sicily428 like this.
  3. eiraku

eiraku Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm probably getting one of these soon, will post more details when I do.

That said, I have spent some time with a sample unit though so these are my initial thoughts.

PROS:

1) Runs quite cool for a 1060 "thin-and-light", even at full loads - bottom part gets around 45 degrees at the hottest point, after 20-ish minutes of Furmark (tested with an IR Thermometer). Fan curves seems not bad too, plus there's always the "panic-button" (the full fan override button) if things ever get too hot.

2) Sturdy build (A and B panels are metal, lid cover considerably sturdier then the MSI GS series or the Clevo P950 series).

3) 60hz screen is the same panel used on the Aero 15/15X Mk 1 (at least on the unit I tested). Not a bad panel (though not the best either).

4) The thin bazels are deceptively sturdy, feels better then what the GS65 has (but probably worse the Aero 15's full laminated, Macbook-style screen, even if those are a PITA for maintenance).

5) Very easy to get into for maintenance / upgrades (a few bottom screws and you're in). Also none of that upside down motherboard silliness that the equivalent MSIs have.

6) Possibly external G-Sync capable (as the HDMI at least runs off the Nvidia rather then off the iGPU).

7) 2x M2 NVMe slots + 2.5 SATA bay for a whole host of storage possibilities.

8) Runs at about 40-ish dba at full (Furmark) load (tested with a phone app with my phone mic put 5cm from the right / left vents). Also, adjustable fan curves FTW.

9) "Mechanical" KBB feels awesome to type on, but IS considerably "clicky-er" than the KBB on the GS65 (which feels mushy in comparison). However, it's an Alienware type aka "old-style" type KBB (NOT an island or chiclet type like on most other similar notebooks) so it might take a while to get used to for touch-typing.

10) Lots of ports (3x USB 3, 1x Type-C, 2x MiniDP, 1x HDMI, 1x Ethernet, seperate Mic/Audio Jack's), BUT...

CONS:

1) ... no TB3 (yep, unfortunately).

2) Card reader is of the "half-in" type and only runs at USB2.0 speeds.

3) 3-4 hour battery life (with the current battery config, supposedly an optional config is coming that sacrifices the 2.5 bay for an extended battery).

4) Point above is made worse by the fact that the Nvidia (rather than the iGPU) runs the HDMI connection so if you plug a HDMI screen / projector in, there WILL be higher than expected battery drain (but hey, if you're plugging it into a monitor / projector you should have a plug close right?). You do get the possibility of External Gsync out of this compromise though (see Pro #6).

5) No Clevo-style "Flexi-Charge" (user configurable battery charge limits). At least not yet.

6) TBH, its sliiiiiightly thicker then the Aero 15 / GS series / P950, by a few CMs (due to the rubber feet at the bottom of the case)... if that's important to you.

7) Also, C panel is NOT metal, though the bottom fan vents are (it's like some hybrid build). I do like the plastics used though (more the GE63's textured, durable feeling material then the smooth, flimsy-ish stuff on the GS43).

So yeah, initial thoughts. Will go even deeper once I get my unit for a full review.

And what's an "initial thoughts" post without some teaser pics (of the sample unit, not mine):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bubuch

bubuch Newbie

Reputations:
    XMG likes this.
  5. eiraku

Reputations:
    Ooooh!

@XMG send a unit to NBC to be reviewed, STAT!

I mean, I will run my own in depth review on my "version" once I get mine, but I'm thinking that this little thing deserves all the coverage (and hype) it can get, under whatever name.

Also, nice smooth finishing and concave key caps! Gives a nice touch of character to the XMG unit to be honest, a shame you guys are half-way across the world from me.

Finally...
    ... oh yeah some confirmation at last re: External G-Sync.

Yep, quite possibly the same AUO 144hz IPS/AVHA panel used by the Asus Strix and the GS65 (and hopefully not the LGP one on the Aero v8). The big battery option is nice too - though being the media black hole that I am I've opted for the 2.5 bay + smaller battery combo for my own unit.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Arondel, XMG and bubuch like this.
  6. Legion343

Legion343 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm looks interesting. I also bet this is AUO panel and as i suspected the 2.5 bay is sacrificed in favor to bigger battery.

The KB is little strange though. It feels like mechanical but there is extra spring there which looks like it is supposed to make only clicking sound (it can be seen when you remove keycap). The KB isn't like any other laptop mechanical switches i had experienced (for example MSI GT75 or HP Omen X feel better). It might be some membrane/mechanical hybrid (i would have to destroy KB and this i can't do).

I agree with most points made by eiraku. For more well i'm waiting for retail laptop.

7. bubuch

bubuch Newbie

Reputations:
    I think buy this laptop but I would like to know if a 144hz screen is really useful with a 1060 graphics card and also if the additional capacity of the battery is really interesting in terms of autonomy.Thank you

8. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Look forward to seeing your review!

We will have one with nbc as soon as we've finished our tweeking!!!!

9. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
  10. eiraku

Reputations:
    There's a pretty in depth review of the 1060 version out as well, albeit in a striking shade of silver (ugh):

https://goo.gl/aRrHnf (direct link untranslated)

But yeah, TongFang's web presence is pretty iffy. It took me the LONGEST time to get ANY info about them at all while searching for details on this particular laptop and the previous TongFang barebones my local folks brought in.

@Legion343 Yeah, they don't really feel like other "mech keyboard" types but I'm chalking that up to the in-house tech they're using, which doesn't look like Cherry or Kailh or whatever - because they don't feel like membrane (or even a mech/membrane hybrid) to me either, at least in consistency of travel and response.

Maybe it's a scissors type mech switch, I know Kaihua was working on those since last year (though it was subtly different in form)... maybe TongFang got... ehem... "inspired" by those. Or, maybe it's just something else entirely.

@bubuch Unfortunately, no, a 1060 (and maybe not even a 1070) is probably not enough to max out a 144hz screen, except maybe for some older (and "eSport") titles. But AFAIK you CAN set the screen to refresh to 60hz if you wanted to, or you can simply go get the 60hz screen instead, which isn't too bad.

Also, the extended battery should be good for an additional 1-2 hours minimal over the basic version, which is a decent trade off IMHO if you need the battery life.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  11. bubuch

bubuch Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you Eiraku, I had forgotten that we could switch to 60hz...
    I read the test and if it’s right temperatures are very correct!
    3 hours battery life, 4h expected with the modification. Pretty nice