TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    same happened to me as well. they delivered it yesterday morning which was a week later than they initially told me it would be delivered, but luckily still within my warranty period. Will keep you guys updated once I hear anything back from OP.

ChiFlipNurd312 and Op25705994 like this.
  2. ChiFlipNurd312

ChiFlipNurd312 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Glad everything worked out. I hate shipping things that are fragile, like these laptops. At least they take care of the cost back.
    Welcome to the club! I feel like there are going to be a lot of angry Overpowered owners after everyones warranty expires and either they didn't know or just started to experience problems. Mine got there a couple weeks ago and just got off the phone with support.

So... Support (literally the same dude I initially spoke to haha) told me that they received it and that they could not repair it... Umm. So they are going to try and send me a replacement. Oh man. lol. I am scared that if they send me a laptop with the same flaw.. in two years, I'll just be in the same boat.
    I was reading on that thread that the problem is the chipset that Tongfang used for the 8750H board. If they send another one, it will still have the same chipset...

He told me in about a week that I would receive an e-mail with a status update. Wish you guys luck. lol

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  3. Op25705994

Op25705994 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wonder how many spare laptops they have to issue it to people who have this problem. I mean when I spoke with the support person, I was no. 40 in line and it did take me 4 hours to reach an individual. Part of me thought atleast half of the people waiting in line ahead of me were having either this or some random issue ... right before their warranty expires in December... because you know.. they ran out if I am remembering correctly(idk if it was ever restocked after that.) I was going to contact them again tommorow by email and see if they got started on it... but seems like maybe I should wait till early next week to fo so.

ChiFlipNurd312 likes this.
  4. ChiFlipNurd312

ChiFlipNurd312 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You two and I think a random guy who made a comment to the Overpowered FB page are all that I know of who have reached out. So our outcomes will be the only ones I know. The other thread is about the same chassis/model but through another seller (Eluktronics) and they swapped the motherboards to 9750H boards. I would love that, but I don't think we will get so lucky.

I am mainly worried about getting a replacement laptop that is just going to have the same issue. I know Overpowered never released any other updated models, but Walmart does sell another line of laptops called Evoo that look almost as if they were Overpowered laptops. It would be nice if we were issued ones that aren't susceptible to the backlight issue, because none of us will be under warranty if it happens again in two years. lol. When I spoke to them, it sounded like they didn't have back-stock to just ship out but was looking for "inventory". They have mad mine for almost two weeks now and this is the first I heard that it was "unfixable". Hopefully it's inventory that doesn't have the same defect...

Ugh. Literally right before the warranty expires. Really... lol

Guess we will just have to see. I'll update if I hear anything else, hopefully in a couple weeks. (I hope)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Op25705994 likes this.
  5. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They just emailed me to confirm they received my laptop and that a tech is working on it now, but if the problem is the chipset, then likely most of the 8th gen i7 laptops will have the same issue eventually... hoping that isn't the case, but I wouldn't be surprised. Did they happen to mention the warranty situation on the laptops they send back? Wonder if getting one of those units will extend our warranty out a bit since we are already at the end of our warranty on the original units.

Edit: Also, others in this thread prior to the 3 of us had the same issue. Not sure what happened with them specifically, bec I didn't want to read 500 pages, but they said it was the same chipset issue. Not sure if any of them had the issue a 2nd time on the 2nd laptops though,

6. Op25705994

Op25705994 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Called OP today. They said the unit could not be fixed so they are replacing it. As far as when I will recieve it or if it will be genuinely new.. I have no idea. No idea about the warranty either.

7. onionring

onionring Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the 8750H with the 1060 6GB and the fans have been going absolutely wild lately. It actually turned itself off once due to thermals while I was just browsing through discord. Anyone else having heat issues with this laptop? Thinking about repasting to help things...

8. Juan Pablo

Juan Pablo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, i have an Overpowered laptop, the i7/1060 variant, i dont live in the US (rather, i live in argentina with its importing issues and such) and i have been having thermal issues since forever. About a year and a half ago i repasted with MasterGel and as many others i had severe thermal performance degradation with time. I repasted again but stopped there beacause of a screw that was close to stripping (basically i wanted to "save it" so i could get a replacement or something).
    Ive used the laptop anyways and i have taken as much care of lowering temps as i could. I have it undervolted both on cpu and gpu for as long as i remember and as much as it can handle.

Right now, the 1060 is limited to the lowest speed msi afterburner allows at the lowest voltage that was stable, and the cpu is limited to a tdp of 45w.
    Still, temperatures are insane. When a combined load is applied, both cpu/gpu get to 90c in a few minutes and stay there regardless of fan speed.

I think, because of the use ive given to this laptop at such temps (maybe im wrong tho, hopefully) that the gpu is starting to fail. I have frequent crashes and blue screens when gaming at high temps and it has gotten to a point where i cant use the laptop entirely because it will eventually crash.

Have there been cases of the gpu needing a reballing? I am aware of the possibility of needing to do this as ive done it on my grandpas laptop once (old hp amd apu+gpu laptop, you know how they get..) and as much as i would feel very uncomfortable having to do that on mine, at least i understand the procedure i guess.

Maybe it could be something else? ssd/windows install problems are not likely because i ran the laptop off a usb-to-sata cable hooked to an ssd for a couple days with a spare to test exactly that and the issues remained, and in the middle of this struggle i had to format and reinstall windows on my main drive because of a virus my father installed triying to pirate 3d-max.

Im getting kinda desperate. If it takes getting+appliying liquid metal im all up for it. I will take as much care as needed so that it doesnt eventually fry the laptop. At this point im up for whatever it takes to get my precious laptop back, seriously.

Thanks in advance to anyone reading this!

9. Felis_Beiti

Felis_Beiti Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I've got a GK5CN6Z from Walmart. I have a few issues, all of which seem to be related. Firstly, and most annoyingly, booting from either hibernation or power off on battery takes three tries. Each time the laptop seems to get slightly further into the process, before failing.
    - The first time the power LED turns on, then blinks off
    - The second time the power LED turns on, then the keyboard light turns on (blue), then the fans activate, then they all fail again
    - The third time the laptop finally turns on, though it takes longer than it does when working properly on wall power.
    The second issue is that occasionally, the keyboard backlight will revert to solid blue when starting up (hibernation only). This seems to be a hit-or-miss.
    The third issue is that the keyboard will occasionally stop working. The backslash (\) key returns a return key, the right alt, shift, and control keys all fail. This can happen while actively using the machine.
    Finally, the keyboard will occasionally start to drop inputs. I think this is a problem with power, as the problem ceases if I lower the keyboard backlight brightness to 50%. The keys most affected are shift, d, 8, and m.
    None of these issues happen often enough to be seriously harmful, but they are a huge pain. I have tried many troubleshooting steps:
    - Reset BIOS (Modded N.1.05)
    - Change/Uninstall/Reinstall Control Center - I have tried all major variants of the control center, including third-party tools like Revcenter and MyApp. These issues occur regardless
    - Update/Roll Back Windows - I have yet to perform a total reinstall, because its a pain.
    - Change/Reset power plans - Nothing seems to work. The issue (particularly the sleeping problems) happen whether or not Fast Boot and Fast Startup are enabled.
    - Reseat battery/CMOS - I am considering ordering a replacement CMOS battery, and possibly a keyboard ribbon cable.
    Things I have yet to try:
    - Removing undervolt - The 8750h has been able to handle a really aggressive undervolt (-250), so I might tone that down, even if thermals go up.
    - Reinstall windows
    - Change RAM
    - Change boot drive

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Edit: I've also run OEMSevtool multiple times, with and without all the control centers, which I make sure to completely remove.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  10. Felis_Beiti

Felis_Beiti Newbie

Reputations:
    This doesn't sound right. I'd check that you have proper mounting pressure, that both fans are spinning at full speed, and that there's not too much dust built up in your ducts.
    What control center version are you using?
    I completely removed the power limit on my identical model and it runs fine, barely cracking 85 degrees while pulling at least 65 watts on CPU.
    I hope the GPU's not dead. Then reballing would be your only hope before getting a new model.