TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. yayo685

yayo685 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to give an update to anyone out there who is having issues with Ubuntu not detecing external displays. Make sure you disable secure boot, this was what kept me from being able to go to an external monitor.

2. yayo685

yayo685 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes I had the same issue, not sure what the problem is but I am assuming it is hardware related. I just ended up disabling the light bar because it bothered me. Is there a firmware fix for it out there somewhere?

3. ChiFlipNurd312

ChiFlipNurd312 Newbie

Reputations:
    Based on your post, It looks like the email address is a no go for support.
    (my bad - according to "PhatPharaoh", they just take awhile...)

On the Overpowered website the support number is 1-800-379-3820. 9AM-4PM M-F Pacific Standard Time. The wait times can be pretty bad. The first time I called the wait was 50 min. and the last time was 25 min. Otherwise, the CSR was North American English based and very helpful. The call took me 10 minutes tops. Have your serial number and date of purchase ready. Apparently, we are responsible for the shipping and cost to the service center in Huntington Beach, CA and they cover shipping to return it.

If you have the box you got it in, I would absolutely use that as, per the pdf instruction sheet they sent me, you must also send the accessories that it came with. (power adaptor, cables etc...) with customer info note and proof of purchase receipt (maybe invoice or order page printed online from Walmart?).

Once I explained that I reinstalled drivers, rebooted and all the pc things, they confirmed a hardware failure and generated a service transaction code.

Be warned, on the Overpowered FB, a couple users have stated they have waited months for their laptop to be sent back, but I have no personal or corroborated experience to back it up otherwise. They state two to four weeks, but I have been fooled before.

Good Luck fellow crappy laptop owner!

(P.S. Your post was the only Walmart Overpowered post I encountered confirming my problem and had to expand my search with Tongfang to see if it was the chassis and not just Overpowered. My warranty also expires soon and I hope I don't see any more problems once I get my device back. I will update so there are some data points not just for OP but for all Tongfang peoples.)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  4. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    so the email did work, it just took them a long time to respond. they just sent me the same instruction sheet that you mentioned. they say 2-4 weeks so hopefully that is all it takes, but due to covid and them not being a big brand, I doubt they will meet that time frame. I am going to start to backup all my files and restore everything to factory settings and remove the extra 16gb stick of ram I added before shipping it back. I hope removing the actual sticker wont really void the warranty since all I did was add the RAM to it lol

ChiFlipNurd312 likes this.
  5. ChiFlipNurd312

ChiFlipNurd312 Newbie

Reputations:
    Glad you got ahold of them. Haha, you reminded me that I also added a stick of ram! I will have to remove it as well just in case. I'm doing the same as you with the backup and system wipe to factory settings. I am hoping shipping won't be too bad cause it sucks we have to pay to send it but, Walmart meh. I had set my warranty sticker aside for the moment but can't find it now...

On another thread, they said Eluktronics replaced their mainboard with a 9750H. Too bad I bought an Overpowered. lol

Theres a US law that prohibits manufactures from voiding warranties based on those stickers (If they give us crap, mention the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act fo 1975) but, I guess we will see. I'll keep ya updated. I hope this story ends well. lol

Good luck bro!

Source:
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ftc-warranty-stickers-illegal/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilear...arranty_void_stickers_have_no_legal_standing/

PhatPharaoh likes this.
  6. PhatPharaoh

Reputations:
    My sticker got damaged when I removed it to put the RAM in, so I don't even have one anymore, but hopefully they wont care. I heard of that law before, but it's good to see it so I can mention it in case they don't want to fix it. I would love if they upgraded us to a 9750h too haha

I am going to go buy an external drive (hopefully this weekend) and then send it out early this coming week. I'll keep you updated too, good luck to us both!

ChiFlipNurd312 likes this.
  7. SanMa

SanMa Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello! I'm about to reset my OP LP2 (GK5CN6Z), I have the 1.05 BIOS and I was wondering what is the most recommended BIOS for this laptop? Should I stay with the one i have, or would I get better performance with another one. I would like to add that I use the computer mostly for audio related things, I do a lot of music livestreaming (audio interface connected with 2 condenser microphones), I need my USBs to work properly, I've been having some issues with them lately, they turn off for a second sometimes even though I have all the power saving options off. Thank you to everyone that has helped on this thread, I've learned a lot reading it!

8. low0915

low0915 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I was wondering is it possible to mix ram size on GK5CN6Z model (i7 gtx1060)?
    Currently my system is running on single stick 16GB 2666mhz ram, and planning to add another 8gb 2666mhz to make it dual channel. Is it possible?

9. Tweak155

Tweak155 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Years later I know, however I cannot get this to work either. Driving me crazy :)

10. PhatPharaoh

Reputations:
    It is possible, but you will only have duel channel for the first 8 gb ram and the rest will be single channel. I would recommend getting a 16gb stick instead of 8gb they are relatively cheap ~$50 or so if you can.