TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. TezeeMezz

TezeeMezz Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone got a fix for the CPU power consumption issue when running the laptop on battery?

Currently, when my laptop is on battery, the uncore seems to hover around 11.5W. I've tried various Intel graphics drivers, have the latest Nvidia drivers and have fully updated Windows.

I have the GK5CP0Z with the N1.53 BIOS.

2. lykedoctor

lykedoctor Newbie

Reputations:
    So i have a ribbon cable/adapter that separated from the motherboard, I think it's gotta do with the keyboard as it no longer works LOL: https://i.imgur.com/BmVprji.jpg

This is the Walmart 15+ version... Anyway to fix this or do I have to send this in for warranty or repair?

3. Gramthug

Gramthug Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you broke just the cable you can replace it. but if you broke the port, you have to RMA it.

4. lykedoctor

lykedoctor Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the help. I figured it was toast as it looks like microscopic solder connections beyond my talent.

5. lykedoctor

lykedoctor Newbie

Reputations:
    Damn, my connector broke and now I got other problems. The female adapter came off the mobo. So freaking fragile. Now working no keyboard.

6. clone1008

clone1008 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  7. DisastrousForce3

DisastrousForce3 Newbie

Reputations:
    The CPU package power on these laptops appear to go up to 11-12W whenever the NVidia GPU is awake, regardless of drivers. I’m guessing you’re monitoring your package power with HWmonitor, which wakes up the GPU. You can use HWinfo instead to monitor your package power without waking up the GPU. Keep in mind that other apps like Afterburner also keep your GPU awake, so you’ll need to close those too. Using the display outputs (HDMI, miniDP) also keeps the GPU awake because those ports are wired directly to the GPU.

I found a solution for the next generation Walmart laptop (the EVOO laptop) that I suspect would work on the OP and other Tongfang laptops too, but it requires modding the BIOS, which is inherently risky. I would only recommend doing it if you have a backup computer you can use and need this fix because you use external monitors (all the other cases where the dGPU wakes up can be worked around).

I’ve written up how to fix it on Reddit, but the TLDR is to mod your BIOS, then toggle the PEG Port ASPM feature.
    https://reddit.com/r/EVOOGaming/comments/gw9gv6/yet_another_guide_for_lp5_heat_battery_and_power/

8. Felis_Beiti

Felis_Beiti Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a stand to use with a GK5CN6Z? Preferably an ergonomic one, so that I don't have to buy and adjust to another keyboard, but also portable?

9. stesteste

stesteste Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's the type of fix I was searchig for a while. I already had the unlocked BIOS and I've tried a lot of settings in the last months but never found the correct one. It's working perfectly on my GK5CN6Z.

As I suspected it also fixes the CPU stuck at 800MHz when on battery under a certain percentage (around 40%). In my opinion it is caused by the TDP Limit that lowers to 10W when under 40% battery (verified using HWInfo) so having the dGPU that is already consuming 12W prevents the CPU to reach higher frequencies and consequently higher wattages.

Thank you very much for sharing this fix, I searched on many forums also of other laptops and never found something useful.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    peterSpoon likes this.
  10. DisastrousForce3

DisastrousForce3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Nice, glad it worked for you. I actually wasn't aware of the issue where the CPU gets locked at 800MHz, but your explanation definitely makes sense.

I'm really surprised more people weren't upset and complaining about this issue everywhere - it seems like a huge problem for battery life.
    I had assumed it was only an issue with the EVOO laptops since I didn't hear too many complaints on other threads, but it seems like it might apply to a lot of Tongfang laptops...

As far as I know, the only downside of the PEG Port ASPM setting is that it increases the latency when the GPU wakes up, but that seems like a pretty tiny compromise for improving CPU performance, battery life, and thermals.