TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. xantrk

xantrk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just an FYI, windows update regularly, and with worst timing when you are in the middle of something, replaces latest DCH intel drivers with older WU drivers. I had to block installation of drivers for Intel Graphics via group policies. You may google this if you need.

And 10-12W idle consumption looks a bit high for me, it is the case for me when MSI Afterburner is running (just idle, monitoring keeps GPU awake I believe), closing it lowers consumption to ~1W without anything runnning. So maybe HWInfo may also triggering GPU to check its temps etc. I check it with ThrottleStop.

BTW still havent found what triggers my screen going off right after login, it happens once a day, weirdly.

2. shtooka

shtooka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine too.
    You seeing CPU wattage, i speaking of consumption in general, with display, keyboard illumination etc. HWinfo puts all that together in discharge rate.
    Yeah, i know about updating.

3. imglidinhere

imglidinhere Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This has been immensely helpful. The issues returned when I plugged the battery back in. Above 70% brightness it seems unstable when the battery is plugged into the motherboard. I'm looking to upgrade the battery anyway, so hopefully that's the issue!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. eyek

eyek Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone able to point me in the right direction for flashing my Tongfang gk5cp0z RTX 2060 to a bios that is 90w instead of capped at 80w which is currently is?
    I modified my original BIOS using Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker is it possible to just now flash the 90w adapted bios over my original?

Or do I need to actually just find a BIOS from another manufacturer that has the 90w version and flash that? Kinda confused and any help would be great. Thanks!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The only way you can flash a modded vBIOS on Turing and Pascal is using an SPI programmer. Software flashing of unsigned firmware (including modded stock firmware) is blocked. I tried tweaking my 2060 vBIOS using the Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker and the GPU gets disabled (code 43) in Device Manager. I am not aware of a stock 2060 vBIOS with a TGP high enough to be meaningful or useful. They're all totally gimped, and 90W isn't much better than 80W. We would need at least 125W for it to be meaningful and worth bothering with. IMHO gaining 10W is a waste of time that won't really provide a decent-enough bump in performance. Ideally, there would be no power limits whatsoever. GPU performance limitations would stem from voltage and temperature limitations only. Power limitations are a form of artificial gimping to manipulate customers and meter performance.

The other thing to bear in mind is the data we see is wrong. For example, GPU-Z shows PerfCap reason of "Power Limit" on my shunt-modded 2080 Ti with a 2000W power limit. It's not even hitting 50% of the power limit, but the vBIOS is telling GPU-Z something to the contrary. Got to love all of these cancer algorithms in modern firmware.

TL;DR - a 90W 2060 vBIOS won't fix that PerfCap reason in GPU-Z.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  6. eyek

eyek Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Hey thank you so much for this lengthy reply!
    I just did a flash to an ASUS 90W version for my 2060. It worked but unfortunately my external monitor stopped being detected after that(Connected via miniDP). So I just reverted back to my original which has now restored my monitor.... Strange.

Anyway - any ideas are always welcome. Thanks again.

7. eyek

eyek Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is there anyone who has successfully flashed their RTX 2060 to another brand of vbios?
    Currently I have tried the ASUS 90W but that resulted in the miniDisplayPorts not working anymore.

Now I have found a Razor vbios for the RTX 2060 which is 90W....

Any thoughts and ideas are most welcome. Cheers!

8. 2no1self

2no1self Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    question
    overpowered lp2 1060 version
    this started about a wk ago

system will not boot while under battery power
    it gets to the password screen then shuts off abruptly
    system will boot while plugged in and can then be unplugged and used on battery.
    battery shows full charge and i can run it down for hours.

it is a repeatable occurrence.

and i am baffled as to why.

any ideas? suggestions?

9. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone using Oculus Link on this laptop? I've been having trouble getting it to work on my OP-LP2, but on my Evoo 17" it works fine. IF someone has it working on this laptop, could you share the USB drivers you are currently using?

yayo685 likes this.
  10. idoit

idoit Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone
    I have a 15 inch Overpowered OP-LP2 Core i7 laptop (more details below). I would like to change the boot logo that shows 'Overpowered'. Can you guide me what steps I should take? Thanks!

Boot details:
    BIOS version N.1.05
    EC version 1.33.09
    Build date 11/01/2018
    Serial OP-LP2BK18J01233
    Me info 12.0.6.1120

Do I need to be on BIOS version N.1.08 ?
    https://www.win-raid.com/t4386f16-O...vo-MACHENIKE-Unlocked-BIOS-Guide-W-Files.html

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020