TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. elgreco14

elgreco14 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    SKIKK already has it. https://www.skikk.eu/laptops/15gk0y

Ghengis likes this.
  2. clone1008

clone1008 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Haven't been on for a bit but it seems like the keyboard issues are starting to become more of a problem. My keyboard RGB lights stopped working months ago and then I would get certain keys that would stop working until finally the whole keyboard quit. I then purchased a bluetooth keyboard but that got old traveling with it. I tried exhaustively to find a replacement keyboard but had no luck. I recently gave up and purchased a different laptop. I have never had a laptop break like this in a year...real shame.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2020
  3. Khovic

Khovic Newbie

Reputations:
    Update regarding the 94wh battery situation, yesterday I got mine and got to play around with it for a bit.

It is possible to fit it inside the case with some modifications:
    1.(not recommended and dangerous) Remove the cells and controller board from the plastic battery casing and (preferably) wrap it kapton \ electric tape to give it at least some rigidity.
    2.Remove (break) the hook that routes the left speaker cable
    3.Since the cells are outside their plastic shell and its impossible to screw them, you need to somehow secure the entire mess to the laptop meaning - glue this entire mess to the laptop.

Due to the reasons mentions above and the fact I made a pretty big spark when removing the cells from their plastic case I will not be using this battery in my laptop and I don't recommend this to anyone. Unless you absolutely need the extra battery life and very confident in your ability to not blow things (Also willing to glue what looks and feels like a suicide belt to your laptop permanently)

It was a fun experiment but now i got 5 3.7v cells I need to find use for.

On another note, I seen people here mention that the MAG-15 control center is superior to the default one. How did you install it? when I try to install it on my machine (GK5CP6Z) it just shuts down the installation immediately.
    Also, does the custom bios worth the hassle? I just need and option to control the KB lighting and fan speed without the control center software.

Prerana, AyoMayo and Jared_T like this.
  4. Jared_T

Jared_T Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good stuff. Which chassis did you attempt this in?

5. AyoMayo

AyoMayo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Nice to have this confirmed. I'm wondering if the gigabyte aero battery would work on this chassis. It's thinner than the battery you got but battery controller compatibility issues may arise.

6. Khovic

Khovic Newbie

Reputations:
    GK5CP6Z which is pretty much identical to the rest here.

I know it's soldering cells to different boards is possible with phone batteries, it may be possible to do something similar here.

7. mat89

mat89 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Update: I wasn't able to get stable results with both Kryonaut and MX-4, while initially good (86-90*C max), after few days started throttling (>95*C) even in Cinebnech R20 with -150mV undervolt. So I repasted my Tongfang GK5CP6Z with LM (Conductonaut) with sponge dam + nail polish. Temps in Cinebench R20 dropped to 75*C max, score over 3000. Fans still get quite loud, but I can live with it. Now I hope my sponge dam will manage to keep stray LM droplets aways from the mobo.. :rolleyes: It was quite difficult to get right thickness. I cut a bit with a razor blade, then tested with regular paste to see how much pressure it gets, repeated until I got quite the same splat as without sponges.

8. 2no1self

2no1self Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    maybe its further back in this thread but I cant find it.
    overpowered lp2 l aptop
    intel support assistant says there is a intel video driver update available
    but when I try to install it windows says I cant because of the board manufacture something show can bypass this and install latest drivers?
    According to intel support assistant

Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers
    Latest version: x.x.x.7584
    Installed Version: x.x.x.6911

result is
    the driver being install is not validated for this computer
    please obtain from the putters manufacture

win update says I already have the latest

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      799.4 KB
      Views:
  9. yprime

yprime Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Delete the old one with ddu. Then install new dch driver.

10. 2no1self

2no1self Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    works thank you!
    just the on board card but the idea annoyed me that there was an update