TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. RealBACONATOR2

RealBACONATOR2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    While you may be able to temporarily increase your screen to max brightness, assuming we have the same issue it will come back. Sorry.

2. Jared_T

Jared_T Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. genexis_x

genexis_x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Owenhehe

Owenhehe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    True, they are very similar but still different laptop. Apart from smaller battery and large keyboard area, this one really look like XMG fusion 15.

5. mat89

mat89 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I got myself a small GK5CP6Z (9570H + 1660Ti) as an emergency backup since my MSI 16L3 requires some time and it's good to have second machine there.

First impressions (day 2)
    Positive:
    1. Build quality. It's feels really tough, no creaking, no flex. Really sturdy thing, this is something I was looking for.
    2. Weight and size. It's really light for it's performance
    3. Cooling. It can handle 2.5Ghz on passive
    4. Storage. NVME, M2 Sata and 2.5 Sata is good enough for me!
    5. Small and light power brick. I have 180W version which is quite light, a little over 0.4kg
    6. Performance. Also, for it's size, this thing is fast

Negative/concerns:
    1. Fan noise when doing web/office. It looks like fans can have 5 different speeds only in Gaming Center and even level 1 is quite loud for office/web, it annoys people I'm speaking with. I don't mind it getting loud under load, but I miss some kind low-RPM profile for office/web. Much more thermally-challenged Dell Inspiron will remain really quiet in such scenario. The best thing I achieved is disabling fans totally in the Gaming Center and limiting CPU to 2.5Ghz. Temperature hovers around 65 on passive cooling most of the time while performance is good enough for office/web. Sometimes, once temperature will reach 80 fans will eventually kick all of sudden in on level 2-3 and remain active until temp goes back to ~55.
    2. Highly uneven temperatures on CPU cores under heavy load. Differences are as high as 95 vs 75. Paste is still stock, but I wonder if heatsink is uneven/badly shaped. I have only Kryonaut right now so I'm not repasting since it would get pumped out rather quickly.
    3. External display stuttering unless Intel iGPU disabled in device manager. I know it's a common thing for Optimus notebooks
    4. One port is USB 2.0, such a pity.. but I can live with it, since it has at least one USB-C, but..
    5. ..No Thunderbolt 3 :(

I wonder if MAG-15 / QC5 would be even better choice, but it's unavailable in my country unfortunately

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. genexis_x

genexis_x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Most Tongfangs have uneven core temp, but not until 20c. Consider repaste

mat89 likes this.
  7. mat89

mat89 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I re-applied stock paste and difference on cores is reduced from 20c to 5c-10c!

Mr. Fox and genexis_x like this.
  8. TheWrightDev

TheWrightDev Newbie

Reputations:
    So I have a GK5CN6Z I picked up last holiday season, did a memory swap and repaste and it's been great.

But this past month the keyboard has started sporadically triggering random keys (F11, capslock, wifi, sleep) after which the keyboard shuts off rgb and stops taking input so I have to power off the laptop and hope it comes back up.
    Sometimes it takes a few times and just boots to the bios with the keyboard still black and unresponsive, but then randomly it'll boot all lit up and function for a couple hours. Gave it a fresh windows install and it's doing the same thing.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Does anyone have pictures / video of popping out the mobo so I can get at the keyboard connector?

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Here is a video from Brother @B0B's YouTube channel. You've probably already seen it. I think that is the most teardown I have seen on video for this product. I don't find one with motherboard removal. Although, there's hardly anything left to the imagination since everything is easily accessible. Since you have already repasted, you have a few ribbon cables, screws, etc. But not a lot of work past the heat sink removal.

I've been curious about how to remove the keyboard. One of these days I am going to do it just out of curiosity. When I do I will make a video, but that doesn't help you much at the moment.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    mat89 likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Hey guys, not sure how many of you have been less than thrilled with the audio. I have had a ton of crackling and popping nonsense with the Realtek drivers provided for this system, as well as the UWP crap drivers from Windoze Update Catalog. Well, guess what. Used DDU and removed all of the audio driver crap for Windoze 10 UWP feces and the audio is much better. (No, I do not have a surprised look on my face about that because UWP software and drivers are always trash.)

You can use this generic Realtek HD Audio driver from the ASROCK web site. (Works with any onboard audio from Realtek.)

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Drivers/All/Audio/Realtek_Audio(v8619_FF00).zip

This will also give you the legacy Realtek "Sound Manager" control panel in your system tray, which is FAR SUPERIOR to the broken and buggy Windoze Store trash. The legacy control panel gives you more granular control, and easy access to audio devices by simply right-clicking the tray icon.

upload_2019-12-22_13-36-45.png

Remember to "Disable all sound effects" (sometimes called "audio enhancements" depending on the driver version) for the cleanest audio. The "enhancements" degrade the audio quality and cause audio artifacts. And, it still supports "Spatial sound" plugins if you use those.

upload_2019-12-22_13-42-24.png upload_2019-12-22_13-48-26.png

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Blebleuh, AyoMayo, genexis_x and 2 others like this.