TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Jared_T

Jared_T Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    SIgh unfortunately it seems to have come to that. I'll have a chat with them and see what they can do. They offered to do a remote diagnosis first and to send it in after that.

Thanks a ton for you help

AyoMayo likes this.
  2. BlkKnight

BlkKnight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone with a GK5CN6Z tried upgrading the wifi to an Intel AX201 or an AX200?

I tried the AX201 and the laptop would not post. I'd like to know if anyone has has success with the AX200.

Ta

3. stephanm74

stephanm74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey, i finally upgraded everything: battery and dual channel ram work fine but im stuck at setting up the ssd upgrade. i already read that both slots supports nvme but only one m.2 sata, so am i right that i will have to leave the stock ssd in the slot it already is? welp, i tried that but then my 970 evo does not get recognized (doesnt show up in windows). on the other hand if i switch slots the laptop automatically boots to bios. ahhhh i thought by buying samsung and using their migration tool i could save a lot of work.. do i really need to do a fresh install :(

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If the stock SSD is SATA, it has to stay in the slot it is already in or it will not work in the other slot. Only one M.2 slot is SATA compatible. If they are both NVMe then it doesn't matter which slot you use, as both slots support NVMe.

See if the NVMe is visible in Windows Disk Management utility or in the BIOS. If it is visible in either place, open an elevated command prompt and run a diskpart clean command on it if you have not already done so. Sometimes a new SSD will not be initialized properly by Windows until you do that.

stephanm74 likes this.
  5. Frdmjstc

Frdmjstc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone have an uptodate source for the 4 cell battery? I have the Walmart OP2 and missed out when it came back in stock a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stephanm74 likes this.
  6. stephanm74

Reputations:
    on it right now, thank you very much for the fast response! i formated it via disk management utility and it shows up now. if you dont mind me asking: would you recommend using the new faster drive also as primary/system drive? not sure if windows needs extreme read/write speeds at all.

regards and good day

edit: @Frdmjstc where are you from? i might have a spare one.

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Eluktronics should have it. It was in stock the last time I checked their web site. Their brand is the MECH-15, but you can call them if there is any question about fit or compatibility.

Awesome. Glad that worked.

I would use the faster drive as the boot disk if they are the same capacity. Otherwise, I would use the SSD with the greatest capacity for storage and the smaller SSD for the OS. You will not have a remarkable difference in seat of the pants performance experience using the NVMe for the OS. NVMe is super nice for benchmark scores and snappy movement of files, but the impact is essentially negligible for day to day use of the OS.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    stephanm74 likes this.
  8. stephanm74

Reputations:
    the new drive is far bigger but also faster than the stock ssd, thats why i conflicted. should feel weird to have 256 gigs just as a storage backup lol.

also: can any of you confirm what @AyoMayo mentioned about some thermal pastes being too thin for this particular cooling solution? i just bought some fresh thermal grizzly >___>.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  9. Jared_T

Jared_T Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have the 17in version but my point should still be valid for the 15in one.

Yep my unit's application of Kryonaut was pumping out after just a couple of weeks. I've replaced it with Master Maker Gel from Cooler Master

stephanm74 likes this.
  10. BlkKnight

BlkKnight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's odd, my GK5CN6Z came with a Samsung PM961 OEM M.2 NVMe drive, not a SATA M.2