TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. stephanm74

stephanm74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    what cooling pad do you recommend?

i got this one: https://www.amazon.de/HAVIT-Cooling-Kühlmatte-Notebook-Ventilatoren/dp/B00NNMB3KS?th=1

it doesnt really do anything for temperatures

2. Fawkon

Fawkon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I have recently puchased an XMG Neo 15, GK5CP0Z with an RTX 2060, i7 9750H.

I'm just wondering if there is any changes/updates you all would recommend implementing from the very start?

There is a whole lot of pages in this thread and a lot to get through so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!.

3. yayo685

yayo685 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you read the OP you'll find a great summary of this but so far personally I have done the following:

I have the Walmart OP 15+
    1. 4 cell battery and removed the SATA Port
    2. Re-paste with Arctic Silver MX-4
    3. Added 1 TB NVMe Drive for WIndows 10
    4. Installed Ubuntu Linux on 256 GB SSD
    5. Carbon Fiber skin
    6. Reinstalled Windows 10 on the new SSD

@stephanm74

I have the old version of this with a bigger fan, still use it today. I didn't benchmark it completely but I did notice slightly lower temps when I have this thing on the cooling fan during games. I wouldn't say that it made the world of difference but a few degrees probably.
    https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/notebook-cooler/ergostand-iv/

stephanm74 likes this.
  4. Jared_T

Jared_T Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just did a full clean install with all OEM drivers and clean gpu driver. Still the same thing. Hitting about 15w pkg power on idle when unplugged with all battery saving stuff enabled.

Barely getting 2 hours of battery life

5. AyoMayo

AyoMayo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is pretty strange. 15 W is about what I get at idle if the GPU is activated via something like MSI Afterburner. You don't have that running do you? Additionally, do you have Illegear's gaming center software installed and used it to set the PC to the balanced/equilibrium mode?

Open up Task Manager to take a look at the idle CPU and power usage trends; end the tasks that are using too much and check the package power again. Attach a picture of your ThrottleStop FIVR and TPL windows if you can.

6. Jared_T

Reputations:
    Nope no afterburner or any gpu monitoring software open. PC is set to office mode is should be the balanced mode you're talking about. PL1 and PL2 are 45w on battery and 35w plugged in strangely enough :/

Dont mind the PL limits in TS. Its reported as 45w in hwinfo

https://imgur.com/a/lO7Uqrs

7. Blebleuh

Blebleuh Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, long time no see there...

I just wanted to let you know that I just updated the MEGAPOST of this thread, adding many information and links from the last months (last update was in march...). It's more and more cluttered on every update but I've no time to reorganize everything... I hope some of you will still find it useful !

As usual, feel free to point me any mistake or thing I forgot !

Poke @sicily428 to update the first page ;)

sicily428 likes this.
  8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    When using ThrottleStop, you need to also use the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature. There are multiple sets of turbo power limits. This feature takes care of the secondary set and allows ThrottleStop to control your CPU.

The CPU power consumption data reported by ThrottleStop and all software does not represent measured power consumption. It is actually a number calculated by the CPU to manage the turbo boost feature so it may not be accurate when a CPU is lightly loaded.

Your idle power consumption number looks high compared to many other CPUs but it does not look high when compared to other laptops using the 9750H. Head back a few pages to a screenshot from @Mr. Fox

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...gk5cq7z-gk5cp0z.815943/page-446#post-10957529

His 9750H is idle and it is reporting 15.1 Watts.

What I did notice when researching this is that if you run CPUID HWMonitor, it will show power consumption broken down into various components within the CPU. It seems to be the Uncore that accounts for the majority of the power consumption. Not sure why this is. It might have something to do with whether you boot up or resume from sleep or hibernate mode. Here is an old discussion about this problem on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocki...rvolting_question_cpu_uncore_using_much_more/

Keep an eye on C state activity and look for any changes when resuming. Individual cores should be spending up to 99% of their time in core C7. There might be a bug in the bios or in the CPU itself.

stephanm74 and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Jared_T

Reputations:
    Noted on the disable and lock. I've enabled it

My current problem is that the power draw remains the same on battery. I've done a few tweaks and the most i can get now is just 2:30hrs on battery.

Currently only hitting C3 at most.

10. AyoMayo

AyoMayo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    None of the values look out of the ordinary when compared to my own laptop. I can't think of anything else that's causing the problem other than that it might be a BIOS issue, which is outta my league. You should go to talk to Illegear and ask for a replacement, as you aren't getting what you paid for right now.