TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. john2john

john2john Newbie

Reputations:
    Mine seems locked down with or without secure boot. How did you do it ?

2. imglidinhere

imglidinhere Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well... I gave up on those specific problems regarding random shutdowns. Best I can assume is that it's a problem with the Unity game engine causing some problem as it never happens in any other game.

As a side note, I was hit with a brown out and it zapped my display so now it's just flickering madly and that only stops at a display brightness under 10%.

Does anyone know how to replace the display in this thing? Any videos?

3. stephanm74

stephanm74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    edit: nvm

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Here is my review of the MECH-15 G2Rx...

Those who have known me for a while surely found it out of character that I purchased a MECH-15 G2Rx. With my strong opinions against thin and light BGA "turdbooks" and my passion for competitive overclocking, I am sure some folks even found it hypocritical. And, that would be understandable if they did. My contempt for anemic BGA notebook trash is great, but I am almost equally (or more) fed up with severely overpriced DTR laptops with desktop CPUs and MXM graphics that overheat, have been emasculated by cancer firmware and cannot be upgraded due to the manufacturer intentionally changing things to make upgrades extremely difficult. For that very reason I abandoned notebooks a couple of years ago.

Well, things change. My opinions haven't, but my needs have. When I found myself needing a good notebook for business travel that I could play some games on in my hotel room after work (and use for work during the day) I landed on this baby. After doing my homework, which included the awesome YouTube reviews from @B0B of All Trades and @OWNORDISOWN (both good friends), the choice was clear. Nothing in my $1500 price range can compare to the specs, performance, build quality and aesthetics.

While I do wish that it had a "K" processor, overall I am very pleased with this product. It looks fantastic, runs great and it is built extremely well. It is super easy to work on. Taking its form factor into account, thermal management is good as well. I have no regrets and highly recommend this product for anyone that wants something that ticks all of the boxes except for overclocking.

This purchase was also my first experience with Eluktronics. It would be unjust for me to not mention that my experience with them has also been outstanding. They shipped the product swiftly and communicated with me in a friendly and timely manner. I had a minor technical issue and it was resolved immediately, and to my complete satisfaction. Good folks, so I can whole-heartedly recommend them with the same high respect as I can this product.

I haven't had much time for a lot of gaming yet, but did notice that with all of the settings maxed out I was seeing consistently north of 100 FPS in Gears of War 4.

Here are my specs:
    • MECH-15 G2Rx Slim & Light RTS Laptop
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-9750H (2.6-4.5GHz 12MB Cache)
    • Graphics Card: 6GB GDDR6 NVIDIA® GeForce RTX 2060 w/EluktroBoost
    • Display: 15.6" Narrow Bezel 144Hz FHD IPS Anti-Glare (1920 x 1080)
    • Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Generic DDR4-2666
    • Storage: 512GB Eluktronics NVMe SSD*
    • Battery: 4 Cell 62.32WHr (takes up HDD Bay)
    • Operating System: Windows 10 Home*
    • Warranty Options: 1 Year Eluktronics Warranty
    • Thermal Cooling Solution: Standard Thermal Compound**
    Here is how I am rating things on a 1 to 5 scale with 1 being unacceptable, 3 average and 5 superior:
    • Price: 5
    • Specs: 4
    • Performance: 4
    • Build Quality: 5
    • Aesthetics: 5
    • Thermals: 4**
    • Display: 5
    • Keyboard: 5
    • Audio: 3
    • Overall: 4.5

**You'll either need to do it yourself or pay Eluktronics for better thermal paste. The temps are not good with the standard thermal compound. I didn't expect it to be and the 4 rating is with better thermal compound applied. My rating Would be 3 with the standard thermal paste included at no cost. I gave it a 4 because I am rating the product and not the thermal paste.

*I've upgraded the drives to dual M.2 1TB SSDs and the OS to Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019.

Final verdict: Solid win for me and for Eluktronics. Highly recommend this one. Don't expect it to be something it's not. It is a great little gaming notebook that is also suitable for business use. It is NOT a high end overclocking notebook. It is an amazing value as currently priced and I am completely satisfied with my purchase.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The generic DDR4-2666 stock memory has been programmed with an XMP-3000 profile using Thaiphoon Burner.
    [​IMG]
    @Prema

Papusan, B0B, faiz23 and 3 others like this.
  5. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the video. I left a comment to it, but in case you won't read - I noticed that there are 6 inductors above CPU but only 4 thermal pads on heatsink plate above those inductors, leaving 2 inductors uncovered. Is that how you received it or was it you who removed them? Do they heat up differently so only 4 of them get really hot and other 2 do not need thermal pads? Also, there is one extra thermal pad for non-existing video RAM chip. Is it the type of quality control TongFang does? ;-)

Here is what I'm talking about:
    eluktronics.jpg

Mr. Fox and alexnvidia like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Good catch on the thermal pads. I will take a closer look at that for the inductors and make any changes that are necessary. I am assuming the factory has a generic thermal pad layout that applies to different models with the 8th-gen CPU and all Pascal and Turing GPUs available. The unused thermal pad is probably for a 2070MQ.

I am assuming you are the same person that asked about the backlight bleeding. There is nothing to see as far as backlight bleeding. Had there been I would have commented about it. The display is probably the best 1080P notebook display I have had.

I replied on the video comment as well.

Felix_Argyle likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Here is a photo I took in case you were curious. As you can see, backlight bleeding is not an issue. I set black as the desktop wallpaper background color. You can tell the backlight is working, but there are no areas where it is remarkably brighter around the edges.
    [​IMG]

8. imglidinhere

imglidinhere Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox Would you happen to know the best way to replace the display on this laptop? I've found the screen I need, the one I have is kinda borked due to a brown-out zapping the screen (strobes/flickers violently above 10% brightness). Any ideas? I just can't find a teardown for this machine. No one has had to do it/needed to. >~<

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Hi. I've not done it on this model. After examining it and based on appearance, I suspect the bezel is snapped in place with tabs and probably has double-sided tape like most do. You should be able to replace the LCD without removing any parts other than the bezel and the screws that attach the screen to the lid. You should not have to open anything on the bottom part of the chassis.

Not sure if @B0B has done one before or not, but I have seen nothing to indicate that it would be more difficult than normal.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    B0B likes this.
  10. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    LGD05C0? Good panel and should be super easy to find. The sides and top will have plastic clips and the chin will have bounce sided adhesive. Some clips could break so don’t panic. It’ll go back nicely most of the time and if not you can get a new bezel worse case scenario.

If you need a new display I’d do the work on the thin bezel laptops outside in direct sunlight on a hot day to loosen up the adhesive on the chin area. Hair dryers heat works but is too condensed so be careful and patient. I’ve let it sit in my back deck for a few hours before doing this on an HP Omen.

Start on the sides as the plastic is firm here.