TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. 1iwilly1

1iwilly1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I bought the GK5CN6Z (i7-8750H, 1060) from Walmart last December and ran into an issue with the keyboard recently. It started off where the keyboard lights would turn off and the keys wouldnt register, also this would cause windows to think all the keys are pressed (bringing up discord/steam overlays). This would last a few minutes then the keyboard would reset itself and it would be functioning as normal. This problem occurred for a day or so until one time when the keyboard didn't reset itself and is now dead. I tried uninstalling all the keyboard drivers in the device manager (this requires a restart), flashing new BIOS, and downloading new control centers. All of these didn't work.

Other this I was thinking of trying: Opening it up and cheacking out the keyboard connection, restore windows, try a different BIOS/EC

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. methcat

methcat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Was considering just giving the German place a shot, but knowing they're not making them means 1x battery use in this configuration. Not sure if it's worth it to pull the drive just to have to give the extra capacity up in a few years...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  3. Big Mack

Big Mack Newbie

Reputations:
    Do you carry the laptop around, or does it get jostled around a bit? if so then yes, I'd definitely recommend opening it up and checking the connections.

4. methcat

methcat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    FYI, I gave the German place a try, and got an out-of stock/refund notice already.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  5. JeanBean

JeanBean Newbie

Reputations:
    Anybody know where to buy a bottom cover for this laptop? The link in the first post brings me to a totally different computer's cover.

6. LeoniePhiline

LeoniePhiline Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    did anyone running linux manage to switch the dGPU off on a Tongfang GK5CP0Z (XMG Neo 15 (2019) = XNE15M19)?

I tried all kinds of stuff (https://forums.opensuse.org/showthr...ver-nvidia-refusing-OFF?p=2906706#post2906706) and still fail to power down the NVIDIA dGPU card.

Earlier in this thread someone suggested kernel parameters "acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2009'", but that does not do it for me.

Any other hints?

I would really need the Wh of that small battery for coding in the park... ;-)

7. terrorific

terrorific Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I am not able to use the mic when I plug in the mic input port? I have checked and there is only one input option and that is the onboard mic. as soon as I plug in a mic, the onboard mic just shuts off and there is no input anymore. How do I check whats wrong?

8. stesteste

stesteste Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm trying to find an optimal undervolt for my GTX 1060, do you have a graph from Afterburner or the parameters to use as a starting point?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  9. WimadS

WimadS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I bought a tongfang gk5cp6z, which I received today. First of all a big thanks to you folks for this thread, it was definitely what convinced be to go for this laptop!
    Mine is specced with an i7-9750H, GTX1660ti, 2x 8GB ram and 500gb ssd, ordered from laptopparts4less. First impression is quite good! Am amazed by the keyboard (brown switch version), which feels amazing for a laptop keyboard. Construction seems quite solid as well, which is a huge pro for me, since my previous laptop was very disappointing in that department. For the price, this was definitely the best specced laptop at this compact size I could find. There is two things I am unsure about though:

First of all, I notice that the laptop is getting quite hot. I was aware that it would get hot above the keyboard due to the heat sinks being located there, but actually below the keyboard where I rest my hands its also getting quite warm. It isn't untouchable, but its definitely uncomfortable when typing, especially in today's 30 degrees weather here. Is this to be expected while doing no serious work on the laptop yet? So far I have not done any demanding work or games, just been setting up the laptop and installing some programs. CPU is around 70 degrees celcius now at around 5% usage. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this, so don't know if this is normal temperatures, but was just wondering since the chassis is getting so warm. I would expect the chassis to get hot while running 3D-Cad software or other demanding programs, but not while simply browsing with CPU at 5%.
    [edit] I just turned the fan boost on and off once with the button, and it seems now the fan is more adaptive than before that. Meaning the fans turns on every now and then instead of being at idle speed constantly. CPU temperature has improved to around 55 degrees at same 5% usage. So that seems a lot better. Chassis is still quite warm though at the palms... guess that is a normal thing then and I'll need to get used to sweaty palms.. [/edit]

Secondly I was wondering what steps to take to optimise the performance for my machine. I am a designer, but no heavy gamer, so probably things like undervolting I hear about is a bit overkill for me, but obviously I do want to get optimal performance out of my machine to be able to use my design software as smoothly as possible. I am however a bit confused by the control center and could use some help (its called "ControlCenterU" version 1.0.0.23, as stock by laptopparts4less). I saw people recommending to use "equilibrium mode", but I cannot find anything like that in my control center. I also heard that cpu is cut at 35% in "office mode", which I also cannot find in my control center, so I am not sure if that is a problem that needs solving in my case, or if that is something that laptopparts4less already addressed in their version of the control center.
    I can set it to eco and to standard mode. And then there is an automatic option or advanced option where I can select 3 fan speeds (i'm guessing from the icons, there is no text description). I am guessing I should be good with Standard + automatic fan speed when running my design software, and maybe at eco when just doing some basic browsing like right now. But I have no idea how this truly affects my machine.

I did come across the Rev.Center 2.0 in this thread. Is that adviseable to install, or would I be just fine with the stock control center from laptopparts4less?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  10. WimadS

WimadS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    On another note, is there some way to do something more with the lighbar and keyboard lighting? I thought it would be cool if I could make it respond to the battery level of my laptop when unplugged or things like that.