TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. boidsonly

boidsonly Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Overpowered has updated their support page and it looks like some new drivers are available. I haven't compared any versions to see which, if any, are new. Look here:

https://www.opowered.com/support.html

em0ney14 and undervolter0x0309 like this.
  2. stesteste

stesteste Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've found on Mechrevo's site under Z2R's driver the new version of gaming center showed in @B0B 's video.
    It's called GamingCenterU and as version 2 of GC works also on older models (I'm testing it on my GK5CN6Z).
    Functions are almost the same as always with a redesigned interface (@B0B 's video shows them well), the only minus I've found is the keyboard backlight menu is a little bit buggy when trying to create multiple profiles. It's also missing the division between battery mode and plugged in mode so I still need to figure out if it's possible to have this types of profiles.
    In terms of performance it seems lighter and a little bit less RAM consuming, it's also much quicker to auto boot after powering on the pc. CB scores are almost the same as previous versions.
    It's possible as always to customize the installation to have a non-branded version, as I did, changing icons with the standard GC2 icons and modifying the setup file. In orther to have a full STD version you have also to modify the language file (json), same method as for the setup file. In case needed if you provide me a drive I can upload my already modified version.
    Hope other vendors will publish their version of GCU to find out if there is one with a less buggy backlight menu.

Installed64 likes this.
  3. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mechrevo is Tongfang's direct seller I believe. It could be that the "buggyness" is related to the differing hardware involved. I noticed this when comparing the old software MyApp with Control Center: the color reproduction was different between the two, sometimes quite inaccurate with the older software.

I will try out the new Gaming Center on my laptop when I get a chance. If you want to upload your modified version to Google Drive or something similar, I would be interested in trying it. @stesteste

stesteste likes this.
  4. stesteste

stesteste Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If I'm not wrong the myApp software was designed for another chassis and it works also on ours while this GCU is for the same chassis, just with a newer CPU and GPU, so the keyboard and the rest of the hardware should be the same and in my opinion should work good. Could be useful if @B0B or anyone with the newer config could give us a feedback.

Here it is https://drive.google.com/open?id=144sDfC-NGVyx9S6vIG1tXiqxzZIlNYQz @Installed64
    If @sicily428 want to add it to his MEGA and add it to the first post it's ready to use.

Installed64 and sicily428 like this.
  5. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The original Mech 15 (different design completely) used myapp and works with the 8th gen. Not sure on 9th. My review units have been wiped clean and packed up ready to be sent back otherwise I’d have a go.

The Eluktroboost is tied to the Turbo profile and what use to be the dedicated fan button now cycles through all three power profiles.

The previous Mech 15 G2 had that button strictly for max fan. But another vendor had their setup similar to what I reviewed so who knows.

stesteste likes this.
  6. Trevayne10

Trevayne10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    All:

Frustrated by the utter lack of tone / equalizer controls in the standard RealTek audio driver for my Overpowered OP-LP2 laptop, I went here:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds029024

- and downloaded and installed the 2013-vintage Lenovo Thinkpad RealTek HD Audio driver (the very first one, at the top >> gga109ww.exe << ) for Windows 7/8/10 64 bit, and it works perfectly. Not only does the 10-band equalizer (31Hz - 16 KHz) work perfectly, but all sound effects/enhancements/Environments (Auditorium, Studio, Hallway, Theater, etc.) work as well. Loudness compensation works. Headphone / Speaker auto-detect works. Also, Windows Sonic (Spatial Sound) for Windows 10 (which shipped standard with my OP-LP2) works perfectly. 100% compatible. No hangs, glitches / blue screens, reboots, or conflicts. As a matter of fact, I'd say my system is running quite a bit smoother. Just install it right over the existing driver (don't even bother uninstalling).

Yes, I'm getting only DirectX 11.2 sound from October 2013 (everything else is DirectX 12), but I couldn't care less. Vast improvement in my overall Overpowered Experience®, and am immensely satisfied.

(no untoward effects, such as raised noise floor, crackling, hissing, excess CPU / core spiking, nothing).

Also, if you opt for this solution, don't be unnerved when you do the install the first time, your system restarts, and then the RealTek driver install window pops up again on your desktop when your system starts up - this is by design - 100% normal behavior (I remember this on all my Windows 7 & 8.1 PCs - just go with it, click "Ok" again etc., and let it do its thing). It'll finish. I rebooted one more time (my OCD kicking in), system came up fine.

Also, I tested Overwatch, Battlefield V and WoW - they work fine running DirectX 12 video with DirectX 11.2 sound drivers. No issues.

Good grief, music streams & HD audio content sound so much better than before...like they've had a veil lifted off them. Clarity and punch are present for the first time (I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50x phones).

Now the trick is to figure out a way to stop Windows 10 from trying to "Upgrade" this driver.

That's right - THIS Realtek HD Audio Manager:

Lenovo_Realtek2.jpg

ps - APO Equalizer is a PITA - more trouble than it's worth. Nothing but hassles.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    ZaiArgylle likes this.
  7. Trevayne10

Trevayne10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey boidsonly - just an FYI - I got fed up with ZERO tone control / ZERO EQ on my OP-LP2 laptop's audio....so it was time for some drastic measures (I go into more detail in separate post here).

It involves a 2013-vintage Lenovo ThinkPad Realtek driver (along with the Realtek HD Audio manager). SPOILER ALERT: Works perfectly. As in: 100%

8. Maxou67

Maxou67 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I own the GK5CN5Z but i have a problem since a few months
    Indeed, the backlight does not work.
    I try to reinstall the drivers and windows withtout success and I can not reach the seller site support,
    would anyone have a solution?

Thank you in adavance :)

9. Antoine van Daalen

Antoine van Daalen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Had the same problem here.. had to send it back, now it’s fixed.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Maxou67 likes this.
  10. Blebleuh

Blebleuh Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Had the same problem the second time I powered up my laptop (GK5CN6Z) after receiving it several months ago. I opened it and the backlight wire was not perfectly in place. I had to properly plug it in correctly and my keyboard backlight work since this moment :)

NOTE TO PEOPLE WHO CARE: I'm aware of the few updates that happened during last weeks (bios mod, new drivers, new laptop versions, a lot of troubles...), I will try to update the mega post sooon.