TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Juan Pablo

Juan Pablo Newbie

Reputations:
    i repasted with CM Mastergel 2 days ago and ive seen some important temp degradation already, possibly due to pumping, right? started with 65-68W 100% load on just the CPU getting up to 70C now its up to 80 and a bit higher even, with balanced settings/gaming fan speed (so auto, not max)

i have my undervolt setup on TS and i purposely extended turbo tdp to 70W and long term turbo to 60W to allow the machine to fully stretch its legs/warm up.

AIDA64 CPU/GPU(both integrated and the gtx 1060) combined benchmark goes right up to the point of thermal throttling at 95C (up to 97C on one core) when the CPU boosts to 67W (which is about its limit ive seen on my laptop). When long term boost kicks in, at 55-60W, my clocks go way down to 3,5-3,7Ghz from 3,9 at 67W (and 3,3-3,4Ghz when the iGPU is tested aswell, which is understandable since it draws power from the same place as the CPU)

Anyways, i think this is all a sign of pumping and im wondering if there is any way i can apply the CM Mastergel thermal paste better. I did a reasonable dot on the GPU and i did a spreaded line on the CPU. Im thinking that it could have been too much paste, and ive read somewhere here on notebookreview that the paste could dry out or oxidize or sometthing if its edges are overflowing the cpu/gpu???
    im at a loss, i mean, the thermal paste itself is very thick, tohugh not as much as ive read IC Diamond is, and the amount i put really isnt that much, maybe a little bit more than needed but ive seen so very many people say that its better to put more (since the cooler will only fit whats enough between it and the CPU/GPU anyways) than put less and have parts of the chip naked...

just in case someone asks, i bought the paste last week and it wasnt old at all, and in my country (argentina) its impossible to find anything other than mx4 and artic 5, apart from this one tube of Mastergel that i spent 2 months looking for (and the company that imports it doesnt use nor sell anything else, ive asked...)

edit: Also, if there isnt anything i can do without using another thermal paste, then ill try to record for a couple weeks how much temps degrade and then repaste, and record it again for a couple weeks. that way, at least we can get some knowledge out of how bearable or not it can be to have your paste pump out. i wonder if maybe temps will stabilize at a worse level but a stable one at least (maybe 80-90C on combined load with stock GPU + undervolt + 50W TDP on the i7?)

2. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    [wrong thread but still applicable to the 1060gtx 15.3"]

Just played some Battlefield V with Ultra/High and RTX ON on the OP-LP3 (1060GTX) no problemo. Obviously not 60fps, but 30-40fps easy. To play around with specs, I reduced texture quality to medium and terrain detail and it's very very playable.

TBH, givent the weak game support of RTX, I'm definitely less eager to upgrade to the RTX line of things.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  3. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice. Have you noticed a difference in temps in-game? And, more importantly, did it drop your framerates?

4. AyoMayo

AyoMayo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    People have had the most success with either gelid extreme or ic diamond here. What I did to prevent pumping over the CPU was to spread a thin layer of paste in the middle, taking a shape 2/3 of the size of the die itself. That way, when the heatsink was clamped down, the pressure caused the paste to spread just enough towards the edge to cover the entire die.

5. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I need to sit down and do some tests. I did run cinebench R15 for a quick test, and FPS was the same. I don't remember temps right now.
    What games do you think I should test?

6. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe this kind of testing has been done before, I have not looked into it, but would be curious to know. To get a repeatable test it might be best to run 3DMark Timespy and compare framerates and temps.

7. Pabbeni

Pabbeni Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been gaming a lot on the laptop and my temps are good when under load (about 70C max when playing for hours). But my problem is that I noticed that my fans never run at max speed. The only time I ever hear the fans at max speed is when I open Gaming Center and I manually turn on the Turbo Mode fans under the Power Settings. My question is, should I turn on the Turbo Mode fans everytime I start up a game? Will doing this decrease the lifespan of my fans?

8. ditchmagnet

Reputations:
    OK, I just ran a few tests with HT off/on. HT is better for sure, but I'll have to keep using it in some real life to see differences. In these tests, it don't see any advantage to turning HT off, so that might just be the general conclusion here.

Attached Files:

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  9. ditchmagnet

Reputations:
    What fan mode are you using? I don't use turbo mode really. I don't really want to hear them screaming if not needed. You also don't need to open gaming center since you can just press the button to enable turbo mode.

Those are good temps though without needing the extra fan speed. Are you getting the performance you expect? Have you used Throttlestop to make sure your system isn't throttling? Of course there is no need to do that if you are happy with it now anyway.

10. Pabbeni

Pabbeni Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In the system dashboard, I'm using equilibrium mode all the time. I think the button for turbo mode next to my power button doesn't work because the only way I can turbo my fans is by manually turning on turbo mode in the Gaming Center. The button only switches my PC from Office mode to Gaming mode (im not even sure what that does).

Also, my Gaming Center runs on startup. Is this fine or is it safe to not run it on startup?

I'm definitely getting the performance that I expected. I just played a few hours of Dota 2 and my temps maxed out at 64C at max settings. I have the machine undervolted with TS.

Last edited: May 2, 2019