TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Volidon

Volidon Newbie

Reputations:
    this build quality is totally wth. on the board there are a lot of screws missing. Everything is screwed down enough so nothing is moving but come on. Now I have to order more screws to properly secure every part that's missing a screw

2. yayo685

yayo685 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have pictures? It almost seems like you got a returned one that someone took apart.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. Volidon

Volidon Newbie

Reputations:
    On second thought, comparing where the cover screws holes are they're probably for those screws. I'll be taking it apart again later and can verify if that's the case

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    yayo685 likes this.
  4. Blebleuh

Blebleuh Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi there,
    I decided to challenge myself into hackintoshing my GK5CN and it was quite a success (quite easily actually). Now I run Mojave 10.14.4 (on a dedicated M.2 SSD, with Windows in dual boot on another M.2 SSD) installed the vanilla way with Clover rev. 4918.
    I ended up rebuilding the EFI folder seen here and there but with up to date kexts, patched voodooI2C kexts for better trackpad support, and additional kexts to monitor temps with HWMonitor. The said EFI folder did not work 'as is', for me, so I did my own one, basically with updated stuff and another theme. You can find my custom EFI here. I'm on a GK5CN6Z with BIOS N1.05 and EC 1.35.09 from OP.

I was also able to undevolt using VoltageShift. Keyboard shortcuts are very easy to set up with native System Prefs, or even with Karabiner if you want more flexibility. But I still struggle to get a perfect mapping (for example i still need to use the top '8' key to write a '!'). Reported this problem on Reddit.
    As expected: no 1060 support (apparently you can use it with older OS, but its very badly supported).
    Other downs I encounter: sleep work but the fans remains on (if on when you get your laptop asleep) and the HDD keeps spinning. I suspect the SSDT USB injectors included in the first EFI folder. I had a strange issue with left Windows key that strangely has been disabled into Control Center under Windows (otherwise it works well), and another issue with the trackpad being automatically handled by Karabiner (recognized as a keybord so messing it up). Just had to uncheck it into Karabiner devices.
    Unfortunately reboot leads to a glitchy crash.
    Performance wise, I'm ok but it could be better. Did not test battery life but I quite confident as PKG is around 3-4W when doing basic tasks. My temps are good but fans by default keep running unless you are under 30°C which is almost never the case. Quietly most of the time though. Would love to get a Mac fan control :D
    [​IMG]

@Johnazz you said you were able to remove power throttle, how did you do ? My power limit seem fixed at 65W, which is 13W less than what I can achieve on Windows with TS, it's not a solid x39 multiplier during benchmark.
    @pure.wisdom did you eventually tried VirtualSMC ? Any improvement ?

derekdauzat likes this.
  5. pure.wisdom

pure.wisdom Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, I'm running on 10.14.4 too. I cannot use virtualsmc. It doesn't boot. I also use karabiner for mapping key and voltashilf with 125 100 125. I just half fix an issue with snow screen after rebooting and I also enable nightshift for monitor.

6. Master-DXT

Master-DXT Newbie

Reputations:
    Jarrod'sTech reviewed the Aftershock Apex 15X (TongFang GK5CQ7Z), interesting watch.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Clamyboy74 likes this.
  7. Blebleuh

Blebleuh Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have this exact noisy snowy screen stuck after rebooting !
    For perfs I also tryed Volta in wich you can set power limit up to 90W but it has no effect.
    How did you got nightshift working ? You made me discover this feature, I want it now :) but its not available in my SysPref > Displays

8. nct

nct Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there any way to make the keyboard lights actually white, based off of RGB sliders, like the light bar? The closest to white I can get with the keyboard seems to be sky blue. Also, is there any way to have smoother keyboard animations? The only way to make it look semi-smooth is by speeding it up, but it is still pretty jarring.

9. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Check the OP for download links. You can use Myapp which will let uou actually set it to white. I found Fortnite's anticheata(easy anticheat) to have a problem with though.
    You can try RevCenter as well (I think you can choose white there). I ended up going back to Gaming Center and going with the "almost white" setting since the rest of it did what I wanted best.

I really wish there was a way to have the keyboard dim to off automatically after inactivity.

I also really wish we could reverse the FN key function.

nct likes this.
  10. anthony_a1k

anthony_a1k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How many hours of battery life do you experience on the hackintosh?