TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. boidsonly

boidsonly Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  2. arcticjoe

arcticjoe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Posting this, in case someone else is experiencing a weird boost in temps on the CPU.
    For a few days I noticed that my CPU is running much hotter than before, which I blamed on fan profile quirk (fans seemed to only really kick in after 80c, despite me messing with the settings trying to get them kicking in as early as possible). Eventually I ruled out the fans as even with fan on turbo 90c would be reached in 10 seconds of running TSBench, so I figured my CPU needs to be repasted again.
    I repasted, and whilst temps were few degrees lower, they were still abnormally high (I could previously run TSBench with temps remaining in the 70s for most of the run, now with CPU being idle it sat around 65c), so I reset my bios to default and voila temps back to normal again... Also my battery life has jumped up by a few hours, all of which points to voltages.
    Must admit this is a bit odd (not seen this behaviour on any other laptop I've owned) and this is the second time this happened... the only thing I can think that could had caused this was me re-installing the latest GamingCentre version which I did a few weeks back... my only guess is that GamingCentre must write some data into bios, which may occasionally mess up CPU voltages.
    So if you are experiencing high temps whilst idle, fans not turning on or unusually low battery life try resetting your bios, just in case.

Phoboy604 likes this.
  3. eiraku

eiraku Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Clevo's Dashboard used to come with XTU bundled together along with it... so it's not a stretch that the Command Center might also have something similar along with the ride - if not now maybe somewhere along in the future.

4. ApplePi

ApplePi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone had any luck with VFIO pass-through of the GPU to a VM with Qemu / KVM? I got it to the point of the GPU installing the the nvidia driver but I'm getting code 43 so I'm wondering if anyone here has gotten it to work. I flashed the modded bios on 1.0.5 OP-2 Bios and the GPU vbios only seems to support BIOS mode as the vbios has no EFI support for some reason. Hopefully one of the settings in the modded bios can help (probably a pipe dream)

em0ney14 likes this.
  5. Phoboy604

Phoboy604 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Happened to me too. I upgraded the bios and the temps went up so I repasted but it didn't work so I reinstalled XTU. That worked. But the temps are back up again. I will try reset to default in the bios and optimize F3.

6. Phoboy604

Phoboy604 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't blame the guy asking for a Throttle Stop guide for this laptop because there are several floating around on here. It difficult to know which one is best. There is a lot of posts about all the various settings, one of them being the ICCMAX. When I played with this, it caused my system to freeze. May be it was another setting but I leave it alone now and I haven't had a freeze.

Another guy has the turbo power set to 85 and 95 in the TPL screen. I think this lets more current and voltage into the cpu. I guess its great if you have the thermal headroom. Isn't the default 55 and 65? I've seen 55 and 78 too. Someone clarify this?

There's also the turbo boost time. Default is 58 seconds, some people set this to 6? Does it even matter? In XTU you can max this out at 96. I have no idea what to set it at.

In short, we need someone who knows what they are doing to do a tutorial for this laptop.

My average guy settings:
    Main screen, check speedshift epp and set it to 84.
    check C1E. Everything else unchecked.
    Make sure it's on, there's an on button in the middle of the bottom.

FIVR screen:
    undervolt -0.125 in the cpu and cache
    (I didn't bother with the disable turbo lock)

TPL screen:
    enable speedshift checked both boxes.

I'm sure someone else can provide their setup including screen caps.

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @em0ney14 posted some screenshots on the previous page.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...gk5cq7z-gk5cp0z.815943/page-394#post-10878599

If your CPU is stable, you should be able to adjust the IccMax value back and forth without your CPU locking up. This could be a sign that your offset voltage is set too aggressively and your CPU is not 100% stable when lightly loaded. An offset voltage that is fine when fully loaded might not be enough voltage when the CPU is idle. That is why the TS Bench test allows you to vary the number of threads tested. Zero your offset voltage and only adjust IccMax and see what happens. That will isolate IccMax.

The TONGFANG laptops have pretty good cooling compared to many on the market. If the CPU is not overheating, I would increase all of the various power limits sky high to avoid any throttling. If it is overheating, replace the thermal paste. If the CPU needs 80 Watts to run at full speed, you can set the turbo power limits to 100 Watts or 200 Watts or 1000 Watts. These limits will slow your CPU down if they are set too low. Too high is not a problem.

@em0ney14 knows what he is doing. The screenshot he posted shows that he cranked IccMax all the way up to 255.75. Perfect. Now he is guaranteed that this will not cause any throttling. There are no perfect values. Set the Long and Short turbo power limits high to avoid throttling. The Intel default turbo time limit is 28 seconds for many of their mobile CPUs. This gives a user some control over approximately how long the CPU will run at the short term power limit before it switches to the long term limit.

Usually, it does not matter. The important settings can be found on the previous page. Do some testing, make adjustments and draw your own conclusions about what matters and what does not matter. Try things out in ThrottleStop. Do not be afraid to click on something or make a change to one of the power limits. If it does not solve your problem or make your computer run faster or cooler then there is no reason to use that feature.

Instead of a guide, if you are new to ThrottleStop, download Cinebench, put a load on your CPU and then start adjusting the various power limits and watch to see how that changes your CPU speed. The goal is to be able to run Cinebench without your 8750H overheating or the multiplier dropping below 39.00. Open up Limit Reasons and watch for any signs of throttling. Limit Reasons is your guide. It will show you what limit needs to be increased to avoid throttling. Reduce the CPU core and cache voltages and see if that reduces your full load CPU temps. There is an almost 1000 page ThrottleStop thread on NBR that covers almost every question imaginable. Search that thread, search this thread and do some hands on testing. That is the best way to learn ThrottleStop.

8. Clamyboy74

Clamyboy74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    faiz23 and ZaiArgylle like this.
  9. Motions

Motions Newbie

Reputations:
  10. Clamyboy74

Clamyboy74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can search this thread on the top right and type throttlestop, check this thread only and see what other people have gotten with this configuration.
    If you want a general guide for the 8750h, check out @B0B 's guide here:

em0ney14 likes this.