TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. eiraku

eiraku Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think Notebookcheck's TS Tut is also easy to follow TBH, but for folks actually looking for "precise", "tailored" GK5CN instructions - well, the simple fact is that when it comes to UVing processors... there are no real hard and fast rule about what values "work" as the silicon lottery is pretty real (not all procs UV the same).

I mean, if one guy with 8750H can do -0.125mv dynamic, you might not be able to (or might be able to do more). Hence the reluctance to share any "good setups" as what works for me might not for you.

Otherwise that linked Tut (or NBC's Tut) is a pretty good place to start IMHO.

Also, Imma thinking that some of the BIOSes floating around for the GK5CN series (especially those straight from China) does have some funky things going around in terms of power throttling and whatnot, but eyyy, I haven't checked all of them so I'm not really sure.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    You only need to scroll back a couple of pages to find some TS settings.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...gk5cq7z-gk5cp0z.815943/page-391#post-10877162

NBR also has a great search feature.
    [​IMG]

Edit the top box and put in what you are looking for. If you do not want to see anything that I have suggested, use a different user name. Preferably someone that has posted some nice bench scores and knows what they are doing.

dreamcat4 likes this.
  3. yprime

yprime Newbie

Reputations:
    I have problem with msi afterburner voltage curve. I modify my original curve it work while using gpu-z's render test but running heaven benchmark or far cry 5 gpu goes back to the original curve.
    https://imgur.com/a/mqfhAgr

im not sure what to do i might have set something wrong since its my first time doing this.

I also tried a more conservative curve than in the pictures by just lovering the voltages it still didnt matter.

Edit: I did some more test and it seems to relate to gpu usage. While doing render test gpu usage is around %88-89 but in heaven bench or far cry five usage is %97-98 with clock speed fluctuating. Is there a way yo bypass whatever this is.

Edit 2.0: scratch edit 1 problem is due to gpu boost 3 implementation on pascal cards by nvidia. Used Msi AB auto overclock feature to OC works fine.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  4. em0ney14

em0ney14 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  5. Warp01

Warp01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you just undervolt or also overclock cpu ?
    I read some who can't restore default setting with TS, even after they unisnstalled .. maybe they wrong something, I dont'know, just read

6. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for mentioning this @unclewebb. Actually here is a direct search URL that can be bookmarked, which uses the search keyword 'the' instead for all of your posts here. I believe it is quite helpful.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sea...ost&o=date&c[user][0]=296710&c[thread]=815943

[edit] it's necessary to use the advanced search page, to actually order results chronologically. Instead of by keyword relevance / best match.

7. em0ney14

em0ney14 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The 8750H is not overclockable.

This cannot be stressed enough, but EACH cpu is different in their abilities and what can and cannot be done to maintain stable conditions.

For my particular one, Undervolting the CPU core -.125 was stable all day, and -.250 for benching was fine with no system crash, I only had other programs crash and need to be refreshed.

CPU cache seems to be stable on "almost" everyone here at -.125, as many including myself have seen bluescreens or straight system crash at any value more.

Speedshift - EPP needs to be enabled a different way on this using Throttlestop by going into the TPL tab and enabling it (I have mine set to enable when TS starts and also have TS loading on each boot). Min value at 1 and Max at 255 (Range 1 - 41). In that same tab, I use this setup...

[​IMG]

These are my stable settings for my machine under FVIR...

[​IMG]

The main thing is the "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" needs to be checked, and you most likely will need to install a seperate file to have it work correctly the first run, which Throttlestop will walk you through the first time you enable this.

As far as resetting any values that didn't work with my system.... The easiest way for me way to simply delete the throttlestop.ini file in the folder where throttlestop was installed to (obviously without TS running) and boot into the BIOS and then Load the base setup and reboot (I forget what exactly the terminology was in the BIOS because I haven't had to do that in a very long time once I got an idea of what was going on).

I tried XTU on this machine and had nowhere near as good of results as I have using Throttlestop. Great work @unclewebb and thanks for all the support you have been giving through the forums alone.

Motions, unclewebb and dreamcat4 like this.
  8. Warp01

Warp01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks em0ney for sharing your settings ! Just a question: I saw you get up your watt (turbo boost power max) to 85-95 (rectify me if I'm wrong), but you also undervolt to 0.125V. Why did you slow down the voltage if you want more power on cpu ?

9. em0ney14

em0ney14 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

As far as the Turbo Boost settings, on 55/65 I get a lot of power limit throttling and a lot of decreased performance because of it. Increasing the windows removed the PL1 and PL2 throttling I was having.
    Undervolting help decrease the thermal throttling so I can maintain higher frequency at lower temps. -.125 on the core is stable for me for almost everything with little to no thermal throttling, and -.250 was better for benching.

10. eiraku

eiraku Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A bit off topic but I wonder if this holds true with the M3-7Y30 on my GPD Win 2 - where the "configurable TDP" is actually an option. People say TS doesn't work as well as XTU with the Win 2 and I was wondering why that was the case.

Also, my Envy 13t i7-8565U WL-U and its myriad of HP imposed throttling (especially if I can figure out what HP's "Thermal Profiles" actually do)... though boosting that thing might be a bit too much for that poor single fan setup.

However, being able to adjust whatever the HP Profile settings tweak through TS without having to deal with HP's stuff might be interesting TBH.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019