TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    The power consumption reported by Intel CPUs is just an estimation based on the VID voltage. It is not actual power consumption. If your CPU can run reliably at less reported voltage, it will report less power consumption. That is a good thing. As long as your CPU can run all your apps at full speed without any throttling then there is nothing to worry about.

Look at the TS screenshots posted by @Big Mack. The CPU is fully loaded and all threads are reporting the maximum 39.00 multiplier. That is the holy grail with any laptop that uses the 8750H CPU. Some Dell, Asus and Razer folk could learn a thing or two.

em0ney14 likes this.
  2. barichon

barichon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I have the current set: BIOS 1.06 - EC 1.24.09 - Illegear - GK5CN5Z.

Where can I get the EC 1.33.09 for GK5CN5Z ? I want to update to the last BIOS to:

BIOS 1.02 - EC 1.33.09 - OverPowered - GK5CN5Z only (auto batch - no EC upgrade !)

But there is no EC provided, can take the EC from:

BIOS 1.05 - EC 1.35.09 - OverPowered - GK5CN6Z / OP-LP2 (Auto batch)

Any support would be appreciated.

3. ZaiArgylle

ZaiArgylle Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi folks,

1.jpeg

As a completely banal and non-tech related side note, has any OP owner tried removing this "OVERPOWERED" branding? I'm guessing acetone could do the trick, but I don't want to risk tarnishing or otherwise damaging the underlying black paint on the aluminum cover. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

4. eiraku

eiraku Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just dropping by for a quick look-see and wow has the thread exploded lol.

I'm still soldering on with my Oynx with that very first unthrottled MR BIOS I was supplied with by our big man Prema (despite some sleep related bluescreens and stuff I'm just not bothered to fix) but otherwise the thing is chugging on nicely with everything I care to throw at it (within reason). Afraid of flashing any newer BIOSes simply because I don't wanna create more issues to have to fix later.

The fact that the stock battery is so small (and I still need that spinner drive) means that I to had outsource mobile work to a new laptop though. That tanky 180w adapter the GK5CN 1060 needs doesn't help it any either lol... but as a "mobile when it needs to be" workstation it's working rather well.

Had to get myself a svelte Envy 13 WL-U just for "work" but that thing ain't gonna chomp through Exodus and FO4 like my GK5CN can, fer sure - but after coming back to a numpad-less "compact" keyboard I'm starting to think that going full-size on the GK5CN might not have been the best idea TBH.

And hey there @unclewebb! Infinite thanks for TS, I don't know what I'll do without it TBH and I obsessively install it in any laptop I own that has a proc I can tinker with.

@lKinder_Bueno Holy crap man an entire fan manager app. Wicked! Will try it out.

If you can figure out a program to hook into the KBB lights it'll be pretty nice too (though I know it's easier said), as there might be a couple of interesting things you can do with that - like Num/Capslock changing color when pressed or something, or custom per-app colour maps.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    steberg and em0ney14 like this.
  5. yayo685

yayo685 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will you need a hair dryer to apply it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. eiraku

eiraku Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's the option of "translucent" CF vinyl too you know guys, which was what covered mine with... as it was black to begin with and covering a black laptop with black CF seems a bit, superfluous. TransCF makes it look stock with a subtle CF sheen to it which I find to be quite nice.

But YMMV, some people do like "debrand-ing" and I can't anything about that.

That said, can't seem to find any pre-cutters doing TransCF though, so you probably have to get a roll off eBay and go to town with art knives and cutters on your own as I had to lol.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  7. Warp01

Warp01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried cinebench 20 Release ?

8. steberg

steberg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Here is my first run of it;

[​IMG]

9. Warp01

Warp01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, mine is just 2435 cb. Do you have dual channel ram ? And what is your cpu tdp ? Thanks !

10. Blebleuh

Blebleuh Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I remember @lKinder_Bueno saying that the keyboard lighting implementation was crapy as you can only say "use breathing mode with these colors" without adding your very own mode. You still have the custom "user mode" which remains static. So Num/Capslock changing color when pressed would be awesome but if it is possible it would imply lighting always on and in "custom/user mode" altered in real time but I imagine it could be laggy and ressource intensive...

Here's mine, with 2*8GB dual channel Corsair CL18 2666MHz RAM, and Cinebench task priority set to real time:
    [​IMG]

And I get around 76W PKG usage (BUT see this post from @unclewebb saying that displayed PKG power in TS is not accurate and might be buggy):
    [​IMG]

eiraku likes this.