TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. stesteste

stesteste Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Do you have issues with the latest cumulative update for windows (KB4482887)?
    Installing it I have a massive drop in fps while gaming (GTA V) on an external screen and also windows animations seems less smooth with some lags.
    The strange thing is that the FPSmeter always measures around 60fps as usual. It happens only on external monitor and uninstalling the update all works as usual.
    I tried to reinstall the update, reinstall nvidia drivers and connect the monitor to another port but nothing changed.
    My config is in my signature, currently I'm using OP 1.05 BIOS with GC 2.0.1.3.

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
  3. GTRagnarok

GTRagnarok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You mean the roll of vinyl? I just bought a cheap one on Amazon. There are plenty to choose from. Some people recommend the more expensive 3M ones for better results.

4. ezradharma

ezradharma Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. Phoboy604

Phoboy604 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I repasted with Artic MX4, at first it was much cooler at 78 but after a few days, it went back to over 90. Let us know how the Artic 5 does after a few days. Someone else mentioned thinner thermal paste "pumps" out so he went with ic diamond or gc gelid and it worked. I dunno man, getting a little frustrated having to open the laptop up so many times. I'm undervolting by 0.140 too but it still goes over 90.

6. terrorific

terrorific Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    same

7. Phoboy604

Reputations:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-laptop-screws.html

I stripped a screw too after my second time re-pasting. Found a place to buy them for cheap. It will take them 2 months to mail this but they are a legit site.

Hoping the artic 5 that AyoMayo tried works after a few days with no pumping out.

Another solution is to put aluminum foil under the main screw of the heat sink. It has a spring on it that applies pressure. Inserting foil under the spring will give it more pressure. I will try that next.

AyoMayo likes this.
  8. AyoMayo

AyoMayo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I noticed yesterday that core 0,2,4 temps were > 5 C higher than core 1,3,5 temps, so I took apart the laptop again. I saw your solution about topmost CPU screw applying not enough pressure, so I screwed it back in with some aluminium foil. Also loosened the bottom two screws CPU screws by 180 degrees and now temp differences between cores are at most 2 C and the CPU itself has on avg 1 C lower temp during max gaming load. MHW, a pretty CPU demanding title, maxes out at 82 C with max settings and uncapped FPS right now. So far so good.

Phoboy604 likes this.
  9. Phoboy604

Reputations:
    That's awesome to hear. I'm going to try decreasing the pressure on the bottom two screws as well to see if my temps improve. My 0,2,4 were also the higher ones.

10. terrorific

terrorific Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    the screws have numbers, can you specify which ones? which one is the main screw? whats the bottom side, towards the battery?