TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Blebleuh

Blebleuh Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I really wanted a dock for this laptop but considering that most docks are USB-C and that our USB-C port is USB3.1 Gen1 and not video capable, the interest of having such a dock is pretty limited to have a classic USB hub... Unless I missed something ?

Great, thanks ! No more grey rectangles, yay !

In my case, after system boot, FanManager and TrayIcon tasks are in the task manager, but there is no icon in the tray. When I double click the shortcut from desktop, the icon appears in the task bar, and the UI starts, then crash after a few seconds. But FanManager and TrayIcon are still in the task manager, and the icon remains in the taskbar. It behaves the same way after a few reboots. FanManager seems to work, as the laptop is silent until it reaches about 60°C. But I cant tweak parameters because the UI crashes :(
    Precision : I uninstalled Gaming Center and rebooted before installing Rev.center, and I de-activated TS launch at system startup.

Installed64 and lKinder_Bueno like this.
  2. lKinder_Bueno

lKinder_Bueno Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you check if in task manager -> service you have XTU3SERVICE enabled?

FanManager has no icon, is just a background app, so don't worry if you don't see any interface.
    TrayIcon instead is just an icon in the taskbar that open the main exe, you can close it with right click ->. It's separated from the main program for a better resource managing.
    When you open the app, can you click on Performance Mode, Entertainment etc etc?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  3. barichon

barichon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    correct ido have xtuservice.exe (32bits)

4. lKinder_Bueno

Reputations:
    So: you double click on the icon, a loading icon appears, the Revcenter interface appears, and there is a loading icon on the mouse and you can't click anywhere. After 1-2 seconds it self close. Right?

5. barichon

Reputations:

Exactly, then i manually close the app in the task bar

lKinder_Bueno likes this.
  6. lKinder_Bueno

Reputations:
    Alright, probably it's an XTU3SERVICE problem.
    RevCenter is waiting for info about temperature, vcore etc etc from XTU3SERVICE, but it doesn't receive anything. It's the bug I reported in the post.
    Just for knowing, do you have Intel Xtreme Tuning installed?

7. barichon

Reputations:
    Yes I had it, but not anymore since a while now.

8. lKinder_Bueno

Reputations:
    I tried to unistall Intel extreme utility and i had the same bug reported. So my tool miss some library to make it totally stand-alone.
    Try to open Intel Extreme Tuning. Does it give you some error?

Rev.Center2 1.52
    Added Intel Extreme Tuning in the installation

9. Jack_D098

Jack_D098 Newbie

Reputations:
    anyone in contact with Walmart's OP support? they're apparently getting the 20-series versions soon but I'm more interested in the 1060 17+ model from last gen. can anyone ask whether they'll be restocking that one in particular? my own query to them from a few days back has not received a reply
    thanks in advance

10. nimaim

nimaim Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Following up to this (hopefully we can get this in the OP @sicily428 @Blebleuh), Lost_N_BIOS over at win-raid has been kind enough to put together a guide for us from the results of my testing as well as @pcfr33k's. It is ready to go, but modding the BIOS requires some minor effort. Only do it if you feel comfortable and have a programmer to start playing with stuff as it's very easy to screw up something. See https://www.win-raid.com/t4287f16-G...H-A-SPI-Programmer-Flasher-With-Pictures.html for how to use a very cheap $5-$10 programmer. You can use the same programmer to fully back up the EC.

Guide is here: https://www.win-raid.com/t4386f16-O...vo-MACHENIKE-Unlocked-BIOS-Guide-W-Files.html
    Discussion here: https://www.win-raid.com/t4232f16-S...ns-of-rebranded-TONGFANG-chassis-systems.html

* Do NOT share any files as the FPT dump will be specific to your system. If you need any assistance, please post it @ win-raid so we don't flood this topic with hundreds of BIOS related questions.

* Please also sign up there and/or give him your thanks, he's been working with us for about 6 weeks now to figure this all out, and continues to support us and all these TONGFANG variants. They have a great community over there.

* I'm guessing a lot of people will be interested in iGFX and dGFX in the SG (switchable graphics) menu. I've done a lot of testing with this. You *can* fully disable the dGFX in the BIOS by forcing iGFX ON and turning OFF PEG (PCI express graphics) scanning and forcing it to ActiveLow. The downside of this is lower performance (basically no gaming) and inability to use any of the video out ports (e.g. HDMI). On the flipside, you will get much better battery life and don't have to worry about screen tearing and suspend/resume freezing especially in Linux.

You *cannot* fully disable the iGFX, however, and trying to do so will result in a blank screen at power up. It seems the way Optimus works is by defaulting to iGFX at bootup and switching to dGFX/iGFX in the OS. The only thing you can do here is force the NVIDIA card to ActiveHigh all the time (and hope it never switches back to iGFX), but this will obviously result in a more power hungry set up, and doesn't do anything to prevent the iGFX from kicking back on, especially when idle.

Mr. Fox, dreamcat4, 99-0 and 3 others like this.