TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. DaveMike11

DaveMike11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any recommendations for a good laptop cooling pad for the 15" OP laptop ?

2. yayo685

yayo685 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It would have to pull the air down and out of the PC and not up into it like most coolers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Why is that? The fans on the bottom of the laptop take in air and expel it out the back. Fresh air coming up and feeding the fans sounds like a good thing to me.

4. clone1008

clone1008 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not quite sure why you say this. A cooling pad putting cool air up through the bottom vents has got to be a benefit. How is this laptop different?

5. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I recently bought a couple of these for my boys. It is good for the couch or anywhere you want to use it on your lap with the built in mouse pad. I would like to find one with the built in mouse pad + a mesh design, but I haven't found it yet.

6. qnine

qnine Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey all,

I bought the OP 15+ laptop and am tweaking a few things on it. The internal solid-state storage (generic 256GB SATA) isn't really enough for what I want to use it for (mostly digital DJing / light music production, as well as gaming), so I want to upgrade. Two questions:

1. Is NVMe worth the price hike over traditional SATA SSD for my intended use? I'd be looking at either 500GB or ideally 1TB.

2. I know the second slot of the laptop doesn't support SATA, only NVMe, so to maximize space, if I do go with an NVMe drive, I'd like to install that in the second slot and install the OS on that, then keep the 256GB SATA SSD in the first slot so I can use that as a second drive. I've heard that installing NVMe in the 2nd slot isn't optimal as it won't be as fast as installing the in the first slot. Is that true?

Thanks for the help all.

Q

7. ditchmagnet

Reputations:
    What SATA drives were you looking at? It probably comes down to the price difference. If you aren't happy with what came stock (which should be running at near top SATA III speed), then another SATA drive probably isn't going to help.

Here is the 1tb HP ex920, which is a great NVMe drive for the money. $160 on sale at newegg:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...als LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&Item=20-326-778&cm_sp=

No, it isn't true. I'm running a Samsung NVMe drive in the second slot and I get full speed out of it.

8. boidsonly

boidsonly Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The only thing I have left to do is update the EC firmware on the LP-OP2. Can someone tell me which of the files I need to update the EC firmware and which to delete?
    Also, do I need to disable CSM(sp?) in the BIOS before I attempt the update?
    I plan to use the instructions found on p. 109.

Attached Files:

• EC.jpg
      EC.jpg
      File size:
      59.4 KB
      Views:
  9. qnine

qnine Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. Now that I know the speed won't be affected by installation in the second slot, I'm going to go for NVMe since that means I can keep using my SATA drive. That's a good price but here's a killer deal (and 20% on top of it from Google) so I think I'll go for this. I'll save the cash and go for the 500GB since I'll have the 256 SATA also.

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/16829447429340206860_8128223210169465260_1057813

Appreciate the help!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  10. ditchmagnet

Reputations:
    The P1 sucks. I would look for a higher quality drive. Usually the P1 goes for less than that. It is QLC. Write endurance sucks. Speed is not good on the 512GB.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13512/the-crucial-p1-1tb-ssd-review

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you linked the 500gb for $144, didn't realize it was the 1tb. Still, I wouldn't buy, but that's just me.

dreamcat4 and ZaiArgylle like this.