TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Blebleuh

Blebleuh Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Here is a pic of thermal pads.
    Basically blue ones are 1.5mm thick, yellow ones are 1mm (maybe 0.5mm, hard to figure out), the top grey one next to the GPU heatsink seems to be 0.5mm as well, and the bottom grey one next to the CPU is 1.5, maybe even 2mm thick.

I bought 1.5mm Artic Thermal pad but eventually didnt used it as the stock one still seemed ok.

I repasted with Gelid GC-Extreme, and it's good to see again temps staying around 80°C during full load (I was hitting 95 quite fast with 4 months old NT-H1 because of pumping I think). Biggest observed delta is 7°C (was 20°C with NT-H1).

Now my personnal concern is that now GPU is constantly turned ON from startup even without any app using it (as shown in task manager). I'm also still wondering if what makes PKG Power shows a consumption of 5-6W when idle instead of <1W I got before (maybe it's since I updated to last OP BIOS, or to TS 8.70.6, or even maybe any driver update ?).

EDIT: Seems that MSI Afterburner option "Apply overclocking at system startup" was the problem. It was turned on, and it seems to keep the GPU on all the time to properly oveclock/undervolt/tune it, weither you use it or not. I turned off the option, and now the GPU is off as long as Afterburner is not launched and/or it's not needed by an app. And now PKG power in TS goes down to 0.5W when idle :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Zeddi and derekdauzat like this.
  2. DaveMike11

DaveMike11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm confused. I was planning to buy the samsung 970 500GB for the 2nd slot. Will this work? Can someone confirm it again that the x4 will work in slot 2 ? Thanks in advance.

MiSJAH likes this.
  3. derekdauzat

derekdauzat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i put thermal grizzly non conductive and it gets pumped out I even took it back off without wiping away what pumped out and put more and just transferring movies to another hard drive it is sitting around 50c I replaced all thermal pads with I believe 1 mm Arctic pads.. thermal grizzly is a little liquidy I ordered some Arctic silver 5 hopefully itiwon't get pumped I've used it before and it seems pretty thick, it's supposedly not that conductive.

4. umbr@

umbr@ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    check my previous post: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ongfang-gk5cn6z.815943/page-329#post-10852973
    I have a 970 EVO 500GB, and did some benchmarks: https://imgur.com/a/1K0vS61

I found that both slots give the same speeds so they should be both 4x. Also HWiNFO says both slots are 4x.

My problem (and what you quote was a reply to me) is that although my seq write speed is ok (~2200 MB/s), seq read is only ~1200MB/s, less than half the specs says it should be (3400MB/s).

5. boidsonly

boidsonly Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  6. hodgeMN

hodgeMN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Having similar heat issues after repasting with Kryonaught. Temps for the first couple weeks were improved but have increased in addition to the delta between cores since. I will give ICQDiammond a try.

7. stesteste

stesteste Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Do you have Samsung Magician Installed? It’s a great software that maybe can find what’s wrong.
    I have a 500GB 970 EVO too (installed in the only pcie slot) that can reach its full speed.

umbr@ likes this.
  8. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Which cores are hotter than the others? I had hotter cores on 1,3,5, and it turned out the sing mount screw on top wasn't applying enough pressure. Adding a little foil around it and tightening it back down has evened out my temps very nicely.

9. DaveMike11

DaveMike11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. yayo685

yayo685 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone in this tread think that they'll come out with a larger battery than the 4 cell?