TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. DaveMike11

DaveMike11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I need an m.2 as a 2nd one. I'm going to keep the 2.5 for now for media storage.
    The below is my plan
    #1 SSD - Mainly for OS & broswer & Antivirus, MSoffice.
    #2 SSD - m.2 drive for other apps like Lightroom CC,Premier Pro & Photoshop CC.
    #3 HDD - For media storage only.

2. DaveMike11

Reputations:
  3. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've got it on Kryonaut now. I'm going to try messing with it a little more tomorrow.

4. DaveMike11

Reputations:
    Would it be a good or bad idea to add a Samsung 970 in to the m.2 slot 1 and move the current drive to slot 2?

5. seahawk10

seahawk10 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I think it is a good idea. That is what I am running right now on my OP 17+. I put the 500 GB Samsung Evo, same drive you linked as my main drive in slot 1. And I put a different SSD in slot 2. I kept the original drive as is in case I wanted to return it.

DaveMike11 likes this.
  6. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I'm doing some testing. I've found that the single top mount does affect cores 1,3,5 the most. The bottom left and the bottom right side do a good job on cores 2,4,6.

I've taken a little foil and wrapped it around the tip of the screw and tightened it back down in an attempt to even the pressure. This DID help bring the temps together. I'm going to have to find the appropriate washer to fit in there. I'm guessing this will be frowned on, but the top mount pressure is too weak it seems.

Attached Files:

dreamcat4, arcticjoe and steberg like this.
  7. scottydo42

scottydo42 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does speed shift in TS need to be adjusted or disabled with dual channel? I'm still using the same config I had for single with EPP set to 84.

Is the general consensus it doesn't matter and an EPP of 0 is max performance?

8. Blebleuh

Blebleuh Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    On mine I get up to 20°C of difference between mentionned cores (95°C VS 75°C )during stress test. I guess NT-H1 is faulty here because of its thinness (and maybe also how I applyed it as well).

I also noticed on this comparison that Kryonaut is actually thinner than NT-H1 (viscosity value of 2 for kryonaut versus 3 for NT-H1, where higher value means thicker paste), and a proper choice might be Gelid GC Extreme (6) or even Diamond 24 (7). Did you guys noticed that Kryonaut is THAT much thin ? Or is it a weird error into the article ?

Thanks for this ! I'll give a try some day, but first I'll take what @unclewebb said into acount and do more precise measurements with HWInfo. Furthermore I doubt that GPU is the problem in my case: power consumption looks on TS higher than before when idle and GPU turned off.

sicily428 likes this.
  9. DaveMike11

Reputations:
    Hello, I need some help.
    I'm comparing the Samsung 970 Evo vs 970 Pro m.2 drives to get one of them for my OP 15+ laptop.
    Comparing the two i see the Interface Type difference between the two:
    PCIe Gen 3 x 4 (for 970 Evo) and m.2 (for 970 Pro).

Can any of the above two be used in the open port available in the OP 15+ laptop? I need to add a 2nd m.2 drive . Pls let me know.

10. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Either the 970 evo or 970 pro can be used in the OP15. The pro is faster, but 99% of people would never notice a difference. I would get the Evo since they are typically much cheaper.