TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. arcticjoe

arcticjoe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you enable the GPU activity monitor in Nvidia control panel settings and then check its status in the notification area on your taskbar?

2. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have three questions.

Is it possible to reverse the function key action? I would like to be able to use the keyboard/display brightness, etc without needing to press FN at the same time.

Is it possible for Control Center to automatically change fan mode when on AC or Battery? It would be nice in conjunction with TS automatically switching.

Does anyone else have huge discrepancies with core temps? After multiple re-pastes, I still have a large variance. I'm guessing it has mostly to do with clamping pressure, or the flatness of the heatsink. Has anyone come up with any fixes? It is always the same 3 cores in my case. Cores 1,3,5 are higher temp. Cores 2,3,6 are much lower. I uploaded an image with the mount points and how the CPU sits on the board (unless it needs to be rotated 180 degrees, i don't know). Is it uneven pressure being applied or something else?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    dreamcat4 likes this.
  3. arcticjoe

arcticjoe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How big of a difference are you seeing? There generally is always a bit of an imbalance on most laptops that I have seen (not unusual to see differences of 6-7c between cores), i guess if its more than 10c then it could well be a sign that the heatsink contact isnt completely level. Also thermal paste choice seems to make a difference as i remember going through a half a dozen of compounds a while back and finding some producing a more uniform spread than the others.

4. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here is a pic. Cores 1,3,5 are 80/80/76 highs (after a stress test). Cores 2,4,6 are 74,71,69. Seems kind of like a big difference to me, but maybe I'm being too picky.

Attached Files:

5. xanderm87

xanderm87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can somebody help me with with some good setting for throttlestop ?? I don’t want to push it to hard , on the safe side(for games) some pictures will help.
    Thanks.

6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Use HWMonitor or HWiNFO and have a look at the Uncore portion of CPU power consumption. On the CPU I was looking at, this was responsible for almost all of the additional power consumption compared to normal. This might be a bug within the CPU. The PKG Power number that ThrottleStop reports includes everything on the CPU package including the iGPU but this number does not include the Nvidia GPU. PKG Power is only an estimate. It is not measured power consumption. Perhaps part of the CPU is sucking way more power than it should be or maybe it is just a bug and this estimate is not working correctly.

You also have too much stuff running in the background. Individual cores on an idle CPU should be able to spend 99% of their time in the low power C7 state. This is sufficient to process all of the Windows 10 background tasks even on a 2 core CPU like this one.

[​IMG]

There are other bugs where the deeper package C states will suddenly disappear. These problems are common but difficult to track down. Sometimes after resuming from sleep or hibernate, the deepest package C state available will be reduced. That is a bug but I do not know how to fix it.

Scroll back 10 pages and there are lots of pictures.

To keep things simple I would use ThrottleStop to set the CPU Core and CPU Cache offset voltages to -100 mV. I would check the FIVR Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box. I would set the Turbo Power Limits to something like 65 and 80. I would set the PP0 Current Limit to 100 or so and that is about it. This should be adequate for gaming.

Blebleuh and dreamcat4 like this.
  7. arcticjoe

arcticjoe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Edit, the bit in bold might need to be updated with the start of your monitor ID string (I have a standard 60hz FHD panel, if yours is different the script will keep thinking there is an external monitor plugged in the whole time and fail to actually trigger the part where it recycles the dGPU. To find your monitor id just type the following into powershell:

Get-PnpDevice -InstanceId display* -status ok | select instanceid

Below is the script for cycling dGPU and thus forcing all apps back onto iGPU (it will first check if external display is unplugged, if not it will loop repeat checks every 3 seconds until it is. There is no point cycling dGPU whilst external display is plugged in as apps just get loaded back to dGPU and CPU TDP jumps back up to 12w+). Please let me know if any of below needs expanding on:

while ($true){
    $checkextdisplay = Get-PnpDevice -Status OK | ? {$_.class -like "Monitor"-and $_.instanceid -notlike "DISPLAY\CMN15D7*"}
    if (!$checkextdisplay)
    {
    $d = Get-PnpDevice| where {$_.friendlyname -like "NVIDIA geforce GTX 1060"}
    $d | Disable-PnpDevice -Confirm:$false -verbose
    $d | Enable-PnpDevice -Confirm:$false -verbose
    pause
    exit
    }
    Start-Sleep -Seconds 3
    write-host Checking if external display has been unplugged...
    }

you will want to save this into c:\temp\dGPUcycle.ps1
    create a dGPUcycle.bat file with the following text:
    powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File c:\temp\dGPUcycle.ps1
    Now if you start throttlestop manually (not via a scheduled task) you can just add the path of this batch file here:

2019-01-22 20_32_33-Window.png

However if you're, like myself, using a scheduled task to start throttlestop you'll need to do a bit of a workaround, as it looks like apps launched via scheduled tasks are unable to spawn other apps running with admin privileges. So to work around that I have had to create another scheduled task, call it something like dGPUdown and set it's action to run dGPUcycle.bat.
    Now you'll have to set throttlestop to run a different batch file that manually triggers the scheduled task, which then triggers the powershell script above. I used a dGPUdown.bat with below text inside:

powershell.exe -command "Start-ScheduledTask -TaskName "dGPUdown"

so then I point my Throttlestop "Run Program After Profile Change" option to the 2nd batch file instead:

2019-01-22 20_28_52-Window.png

eddamoo, dreamcat4 and ZaiArgylle like this.
  8. demon09

demon09 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    has anyone here gotten optane to work right on this laptop? I put in a optane module in the open nvme slot but I am not able to see the drive in windows diskpart or even then bios. maybe I just got a faulty 16gb optane module? figured it out had to install rst and not optane set up and it allowed me to erase the meta data on it otherwise I was unable to find it in windows disk part or even the bios but glad it got fixed

9. scottydo42

scottydo42 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK, so I just spoke with a OP rep from their customer service line, in regards of Walmart discontinuing the desktops/laptops, future pricing, and the exchange/warranty process. Mine came with a dent and a bad hinge, so I needed to inquire some info.

She told me she hasn't heard of anything about Walmart dropping the product line, as well as not knowing when the next units will be back in stock and at what price. She also told me if I like the laptop to hold onto it and don't proceed with an exchange because there could be a chance I don't get another unit or one at the same price (she gave me an example of this from a recent customer) - which makes me believe she maybe was bluffing about their current relationship with Walmart? o_O

If Walmart drops OP, how would OP fulfill these RMA's? Also, the warranty is only the standard 1 year - the additional year is through Walmart, which makes this all more convoluted than it already is.

ZaiArgylle likes this.
  10. ZaiArgylle

ZaiArgylle Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for passing the info on. If you decide to keep the laptop (which IMO is the best option if the laptop operates normally and you can't get an exchage) I would suggest bartering for at least a partial refund. Anything you get would be icing on the cake.

boidsonly likes this.