TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Normally I would agree with that advice. However in some laptops, a very high CPU temp can adversely affect nearby components, such as vrms, jacking up their temps and thermally stressing them out more than the orginal design spec expected / intended for. And the cpu is normally BGA soldered using unleaded balls. Which dont like the thermal cycling quite so much either.

There are also certain cases where specific machines end up with chassis thermals above 50C which then becomes a burn hazard for people's fingers / hands.

So yeah... it definately wont hurt the CPU, but might end up hurting other things. What you might call collateral damage.

Avé César, Papusan and unclewebb like this.
  2. Frdmjstc

Frdmjstc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure if this is exactly why, but I've read some aftermarket thermal pastes can degrade at 80C? Wish i could find supporting facts, but didn't search too hard lol.

3. demon09

demon09 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1300 was like everything i could squeeze out of it with 2666 ram

unclewebb likes this.
  4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    If a thermal paste degrades at 80°C, a person should not be using it on a CPU that can run reliably up to 100°C. Do some Google research on thermal paste and make sure they are testing on a laptop. Some thermal pastes can "pump out" when used on a laptop and will be useless in a short amount of time.

@B0B might have some thermal paste recommendations that are suitable for laptop CPUs.

5. Tweak155

Tweak155 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow thanks for this... I'm pretty cautious so I made sure to line up all the numbers (voltage, amperage and wattage) but had always thought amperage was the critical part since if it was too low, it could damage your parts, and if it was too high it just wouldn't work. Guess that was voltage lol.

The more you know ;)

6. demon09

Reputations:
    Depending on how warped your cooler is or how much you move your laptop may dictate what paste works well for you. Some may be able to get away with a thinner paste. Icdiamond seemed to be what I needed as NH 1 paste pumped out in just days to the point of thermal throttling. But I move my laptop in a backpack so I seem to need a thicker paste then some. if you just use your laptop as a desktop and dont move it much or have a quite flat heatsink you maybe be able to use a thinner paste without pump out. thermal grizzly's new heat pads look interesting as they are able to take up some gap but only time will tell since they are not out yet

7. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Link? Are you taking about the minus pad 8? Or is there something better coming. My Kryonaut came in the mail this weekend, but I haven't had a chance to do it yet.

8. demon09

Reputations:

9. ZaiArgylle

ZaiArgylle Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Tried out some of your configs, in addition to a TS battery profile I put together following some of @unclewebb 's opinions in the forum, and I'm getting 4 ~ 4.5 hours of usage without a hitch (in one instance got to almost 4:45!). I think you can squeeze a bit more out of your settings by lowering your ICC Max config to around 86. That way you can leave your EPP sit high at 128. With these settings I'm getting idles of sub 1 no problem. As soon as I get the new battery installed I'll try it out and share findings.

Please feel free to make any suggestions or tweaks to these settings, I'm by no means and expert.

Batt1.png Batt2.png Batt3.png Batt4.png

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    custom90gt likes this.
  10. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tried to beat @demon09 on Cinebench after tweaking Throttlestop again for max performance, better luck than before, but still 13 away.

8750H 1287 Cinebench.jpg

My CPU package power never reaches 70W, how are people actually getting their 8750H's to draw more than that? Setting power limits and Iccmax higher does nothing, though multipliers never go below 39 on all cores so I don't see how I could improve. (even tried setting turbo ratio limits to 41 on all cores). Power limits are disabled and locked. Undervolting -135mV (-125mV on cache) seemed to be my sweet spot. I tried speedstep on 0 and 1 and set Intel power balance all the way to CPU (31 CPU and 0 GPU). Background processes are reduced to a bare minimum. Any other tips?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019