TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. MuzzleFuzzle

MuzzleFuzzle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How did IC Diamond work out for you?

My MasterGel has pumped out quite a bit and I'm getting up to 88°C max with just a CPU load.

I'm trying to find something that will work for a long time but I'm not sure what to go with.

My main 3 choices are:
    1. IC Diamond
    2. Nanogrease extreme
    3. Kryonaut again (first one was a bad batch and / or fake.)

My screws on the heatsink are also stripped so I'm going to have to buy replacement screws.

I really regret repasting the first time since the stock paste maxed out at 84° but it most likely would have lasted years.

This laptop seems like it's gonna need some work.

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You know if you're looking for something that will last a long time then I would go with either IC Diamond or MX4. I've heard reports of Kryonaut not lasting for the long run and my experience with Nanogrease was that it dried out fairly quickly.

3. MuzzleFuzzle

Reputations:
    Ahhh!

There's so much conflicting information.

Awhile ago in this thread people were talking about how MX4 is basically trash and gives worse temps that stock paste.

I used a bit of my friends IC diamond and it didnt work to well but it's also over a year old.

I guess it doesn't help that my heatsink came warped, I'm running a aida64 test right now and I have 2 cores maxing out a 87°C while another has maxed out at 71°C.

4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Yeah I have some un-even core temps but nothing like that.

I've used a TON of thermal paste over the years and I've never had a bad experience with ICD or MX4. In fact I still use MX4 on all of my non-performance builds.

5. GTRagnarok

GTRagnarok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    MX-4 was a little better than the stock paste, but it took liquid metal to really see satisfying temperature drops. If you're worried about LM, know that I took an 8 hour drive with the laptop in a backpack in the usual 90 degree vertical position. No problems to report.

6. nhidog

nhidog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lol I take the bus 40m each way much bumpier and temperature hasn't changed. FYI DotA 2 for 30m on gaming profile only got 70c on both CPU and GPU.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

7. MuzzleFuzzle

Reputations:
    I've banished liquid metal to only be used on the die of my desktop 8700k and no where else since I had some bad experiences with it; It dried out between the IHS and cold plate of my H115i and the two pieces were literally fused together. I had to wedge a screwdriver between the H115i block and a nearby vrm heatsink and pry the thing apart.

After getting the two apart the once "liquid" metal had completely solidified, almost like solder. I had to chip the large parts off with a screwdriver and then go to town with a scouring pad and some Rockit Cool cleaning liquid.

Anyways back to this laptop, I'm just trying to prevent pump out and I'm thinking about going with IC diamond, since the Kryonaut I got was bad / fake and I don't feel like taking my chances again.

Also do you guys think that some misaligned thermal pads could be why my heatsink won't sit evenly on my cpu? I'm getting wildly varying temperatures (like 12°C difference between some cores.), and I can visually see in the left over thermal paste where the heatsink is making good contact, and where it isn't.

8. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    I should probably make a TIM video. Things are not exactly as they are on desktops.

I’ve spent years testing this for fun. Long time enthusiast way before YT. 6k posts just on OCN alone.

My go-to pastes changed when I switched to laptops.

The main reason why I haven’t made that video yet is because there’s so many variables that a proper video would be quite long.

It’s exhausting replying to people who clearly didn’t watch or understand the whole video.

Kryonaut is still my fav for laptops. I have it on laptops that sold long ago as well as a machine I have on hand. I haven’t had to replace it yet but I want to hit summer before I can make a solid claim like that.

9. custom90gt

Reputations:
    That's totally possible. You'll have to see if the heatsink looks level. You can also do some test mounting to see if the thermal pads are causing an issue.

ALLurGroceries likes this.
  10. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    Perfect! I have a question for you then. It fused itself which definitely sucks. But why did you take it apart? Were themals compromised?

Even if they weren’t that still doesn’t justify its usage per it “soldering” itself together. But I’m curious regardless.