TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What about this idea: replace the SATA cable with a longer one so it can run to the other side of the battery and again be up against the bottom of the laptop. There is space underneath the laptop for a bulge. Cut the bottom panel and patch in a piece of mesh for airflow to the drive. This would be destructive to the bottom panel, which isn't a big deal to me, but would this isolate the heat enough, and do you think there is enough space under there?

2. lKinder_Bueno

lKinder_Bueno Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just upgraded my laptop battery.
    I hate tongfang screws, the metal is really too soft. I had to literally destroy the hdd bay to put the battery because the screw was stripped. There was also the problem of the hdd cable. I can't remove it because it is connected under the motherboard and I didn't want to remove all the motherboard for a cable, so I have hidden it under the Sata M2 SSD
    Here is a photo of the final result
    [​IMG]

In the spoiler there are some photos of the destroyed hdd bay and how I have hidden the hdd cable
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

boidsonly, nimaim and steberg like this.
  3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I have to ask, did you always have this in your signature "I love to "destroy" things without knowing what am i doing."

I did notice my HDD screws were super tight, that's where a quality screwdriver helps quite a bit (and applying the appropriate downward force). I like my Wera kit, I have yet to strip a screw with them in the hundreds of laptops I've opened.

Also let us know how battery life is with the new battery. I'm really interested.

toughasnails likes this.
  4. nimaim

nimaim Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm sure there are many ways to do it if you mod the back cover. You are more than welcome to try it ... I personally refuse to do anything to it as they don't sell a replacement anywhere if I mess up and I prefer to have a functioning cover in one piece.

5. derekdauzat

derekdauzat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the Walmart op 15 with 1060.. my brick is 180w.. I have an OEM file.. I guess its the right one.. I opened F.bat with text editor and power brick was already set to #2 = 180 so I ran the f.bat after I guess that's what your to do ? how can I check to see if the setting went in to effect?
    this is what was in the f.bat file...….

@echo off
    cd /d %~dp0
    OemServiceWinApp.exe SetApCtrl /clear
    OemServiceWinApp.exe SetApCtrl /MK 0 /WK 1 /BL 1 /FB 1 /RGBKB 0 /CHINA 0 /OC 0
    OemServiceWinApp.exe SetApCtrl /GetStatus
    OemServiceWinApp.exe adptype /set 2
    OemServiceWinApp.exe oemtdr /settdr 0xa
    OemServiceWinApp.exe rgblb /setmode 1
    OemServiceWinApp.exe subwoofer /set 0
    AMIDEWINx64.exe /OS 16 1D051053Z1100500

im not sure if this is the right one for my laptop?
    how do I see if it went in effect?
    also my score was 1147 that's with 2 x8gb sticks of 2400 help

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  6. Nitroturtle

Nitroturtle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there any noticable weight difference from the larger battery? Not sure which weighs more or if it's even a noticable difference.

7. arcticjoe

arcticjoe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not noticeable at all, feels like maybe 100g or so in it between the two.

Nitroturtle likes this.
  8. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    dreamcat4 likes this.
  9. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
  10. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice! (both of you).

In addition to that option, I have also been wondering more and more lately whether a different manufacturer's battery might be able to fit, by removing both speakers either side of the battery compartment.

The rational is something like this:

In a few other certain laptops. The capacity is larger. Perhaps 80-100 WH. However it occupies fully the entire width of the laptop. (which may be a little different, BTW, so there is no guarantee they would be quite 'narrow enough' without some trial and error or more exact measurements).

So those ones are also a bit thinner in the Y axis. More tube shaped. The aspect ratio makes them look more like a bit stick of gum. I can give a few examples if anyone is interested. This different shape could potentially be enough to clear and not conflict with those lower down 2 PCB daughterboards on either side (for the usb ports etc.). Which actually prevent the official Tongfang batteries from going the full width of the laptop. And despite loosing some vertical space, the total capacity of the battery ends up being somewhat larger.

Another potential stumbling block could be if the voltage is too far outside what is expected by the laptop and its charging circuit. Although I would expect some degree of wiggle room there also. As they have to be flexible enough to accomodate worn batteries and the natural variance between specific batteries.

Anyhow. It might sound crazy. But I dont believe anybody has seriously looked into this approach yet. Clearly the main goal is to increase the capacity higher than 62WH. Because that is still only aboud 70% of what the regulatations permit.

However another secondary goal is to actually leave a strip of free cavity space in the central area, next to the battery. To help accomodate another m.2 drive in place of the removed 2.5 inch bay. Which being realistic probably is not going to be anywhere big enough room for that, but at least it is space to help run the SATA flat flex cable to a different location entirely. Or to help accommodate other type of modifications. Such as if the (not standard in any way / not approved) battery needs a little adaptor cable / connector thingy. In order to actually plug into the Tongfang mainboard. As being a differently wired connector or plug.