TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. gotchapt

gotchapt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!

Model is GK5CN6Z. Vendor is a local one, but I've been using the OverPowered BIOS, EC and CC.

I'm on BIOS OP N.1.05 and EC 1.35 and ControlCenter 1.2.2.8.

I've had this issue with every BIOS I tried. Can this be a Windows problem?

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    That is correct.

@arcticjoe - Your screenshot above shows that Speed Shift is NOT enabled. On these laptops, Speed Shift needs to be enabled in the ThrottleStop - TPL window.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  3. arcticjoe

arcticjoe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks Nitroturtle and Unclewebb, looks like Speed Shift was disabled as you've said. I just set it to 0 and nothing changed... Which means I probably had it ticked in TPL window previously as I remember setting it to 0 and seeing frequency jump up.

4. ezradharma

ezradharma Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It might (I returned my laptop due to a dead touchpad and a cut wifi cable on arrival so can't really mine to check) fit under the 2 m.2 slots and just fold the sata cable so the connector isn't lifting the battery.

5. ezradharma

Reputations:
    I will say my alienware hinges are so much smoother and more stable than the Tongfang hinges. Also due to the lid design, trying to close the laptop with one hand pushing down in the wifi antenna area may cause grinding with the back strip holding the LEDs for power.

6. ezradharma

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone know if there is a ribbon cable long enough to connect to the 2nd touchpad input connector? (Would have tried to use that connector if my laptop didn't also come with other problems.) Also is the sub input on the side active?

7. yayo685

yayo685 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I ended up buying the accidental warranty with mine just so I wouldn't need to worry about this in the future. Hinges have always been a weakness in any laptop build, I really do hope that they don't fail on this one because I really do like this laptop.

8. Paska Houso

Paska Houso Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Windows 10 1809. No issues after updating. You could try to reset the BIOS to the default values.

People have complained about underpowered power supply units (120W/150W instead of the 180W which is needed for full power) and there is a utility (check again the post linked above) which can flip bits in the bios.

9. faiz23

faiz23 Macbook FTW

Reputations:

Send me your donation link please. Can you also confirm how we can have a TPL value for battery and another set of TPL values for AC? Thanks for your help.

10. nimaim

nimaim Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It won't fit there. I absolutely would not put it underneath the battery either as the touchpad is there (plus you risk puncturing the battery). I got a half size version of this (M2 2242) and it will not fit anywhere in the chassis, I already checked. There is not much dead space in there. Like I said, the only possible spot it may fit is on TOP of the 2 M2 SSDs, but only if you can remove the plate off the back cover that presses down against it. You would also need space for insulation between the SSDs (they run at 3.3V and can get HOT) and the cover so it's probably a no go.