TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah i would say that myself. The thing about the tongfang keys is really 2 things:

1) the keycaps are flat shaped. if you press on one edge, the key will tilt instead of depress. Like it pivots from the centre

2) the keyswitch actuation is different from most other keyboards. So its more challenging (than for other laptops), to adapt and be constantly switching between the Tongfang and another PC

Wheras the Lenovo. Well most people just like it without any specific reservations. And the people who claim they dont like the lenovo keyboards tend to be the ones who have already been using slightly different / better thinkpad keyboards on older models. So that's more of a quibble and regression rathen than them being outright bad.

If the quality bar is standard is to:

'average over all laptop chicklet keyboards'

Then lenovo exists above that bar threshold. Wheras Tongfang is nebulously off to the right / out there somewhere on a disconnected island of it's own.

People who use the Tongfang keyboards do say they can adjust over a longer time period. Say, 2 weeks or more. After which time they really like it. Others are so initially put off by the key wobble or action that they never reach that point.

XMG in Germany has better contoured keycaps on their '15 Neo' branded versions. Which is to say they have some better contour and feel. Not sure if they wobble less at the edges, but its easier to find the centers of the keys. Due to the slightly domed contour. Which means you 'get there' to that adjusted typing positional memory of finger locations quicker (where the fingers should be).

Hope that helps.

Installed64 likes this.
  2. Trevayne10

Trevayne10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

100% success with Manajro Linux. Burned the iso to USB stick, booted, system came right up. Overpowered OP-LP2 15" laptop (i7-8750H CPU, GTX-1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4-2666, 256GB M.2 SSD). Touchpad worked right at bootup. Had to use proprietary ISO image writing software, however. (Universal USB and Rufus = no bueno).

Thanks for the great tip, schmoken!

3. Trevayne10

Reputations:
    The GK5CN6Z is a vastly better deal...was $60 USD cheaper, and has so much more. (I got mine for $799). The Y530 package comes with the i7-8750H CPU, but with 8GB less RAM, no SSD, only a 1TB 7200 rpm spinner, and worst of all, a GTX-1050, hobbled by only 4GB of ram, along with a 60Hz IPS panel, for $859 USD.

My GK5CN6Z (Overpowered OP-LP2) also has the i7-8750H CPU, but with a GTX-1060 6GB, 256GB M.2 SSD (SATA3), 16GB RAM, and 144Hz IPS 15.6" panel, $799 Walmart rollback.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    unclewebb likes this.
  4. TheTaxCollector

TheTaxCollector Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see, thanks for the info.
    I assume the difference in keyswitch actuation is because it is a mechanical keyboard? and a laptop mechanical keyboard at that.

Something that just raised a flag was the wobble on the keys. Would this technically increase the odds of damaging the keys or am I just overthinking things? lol

5. nikunj_cal

nikunj_cal Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for your response , Yes it was the cache undervolt . All looks good now with the undervolt set to-125mv. Thanks again !

6. macky112

macky112 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    it is possible to replace the key caps, I swapped back and forth between the key caps on my 15+ and 17+ at least 3 times and can say the key caps from 17+ make a world of difference.

However, with the 17+ key caps on the 15+, i get the feeling since the key caps are "taller/thicker" than the original 15+ key caps, they might be touching the 15+ screen?!

Installed64 likes this.
  7. macky112

macky112 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've been dual booting Win10 and Linux Mint cinnamon, now you got me curious to try Manjaro, curious which desktop interface do you guys use? If i want to get two 4k external monitors to work on the OP 17+ with Manjaro does different desktop interfaces (XFCE, Gnome, KDE etc) make any difference?

8. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for mentioning this. We needed to hear about that ! As I also am pretty concerned about the default flat ones.

If only the 17 inch were less plastic-y. The shell / casings. Although I suppose if I skin it, maybe then it would be harder to notice?

And what about the size difference for the 17? For keeping a similar level of portability. As the 15 inch is smaller. It has me a little torn between them. I am also torn because the 17 inch frame there is probably more internal room for cramming tiny ssds into weird corners / locations / cavity spaces.

9. Trevayne10

Reputations:
    I have the 15" OP-LP2, and the only way I can describe it is "plush"... brushed black aluminum lid and keyboard deck, and the keys feel great. Not "clicky" at all...and the "bounce" and tactile is great. Touchpad is fine. Plus, the 15 screen is apparently a lot sharper and higher nits than the 17. The 15 has a much more premium feel than the 17". Zero regrets.

10. macky112

macky112 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I feel ya, I ended up returning the 15+, and I looked at it this way, it's basically a 14inch gaming laptop vs a 16inch, in my younger days the fan noise prob wouldnt bothered me, but now with more people around me and this laptop will be my only laptop for both work and home use, that random spin up of the fans of the 15+ just doing office tasks got my colleagues attention, so that was a deal breaker.

Yes, the 17+ is a lot "bigger and heavier" than the 15+ having them side by side, and most people commented the 15+ being more attractive looking. But I am coming from a MSI GE72 6QD with 6700HQ, so the 17+ is an upgrade in every aspect, and also I noticed some brand spanking new thin bezel 17inch gaming laptops at 2019 CES, and the $999 OP 17+ is really all good for me!

in regards to the RTX 2060, yeah I want it, but I doubt the OP brand gonna bring that over, let alone at the 799 and 999 Walmart special price points (big maybe for the holidays 2019?)? so, that makes me feel better =D