TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. TheTaxCollector

TheTaxCollector Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So are you saying that we DON’t necessarily need dual channel to get high fps in games? I.e - Rainbow 6, Fortnite, Overwatch

2. killerkhatiby009

killerkhatiby009 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yea Speed Shift EPP of 1 is, for all intents and purposes, the exact same as 0. This is the absolute maximum performance mode the system can use since it won't even have to waste even 10ms to boost the frequency when trying to do any work. The consequence of this is more heat generated and more power usage because it is always running at max CPU frequency. I like to use 84 because it's honestly impossible to notice that 10ms boost time and it helps keep fans quieter since they don't have as much heat to battle when doing lighter loads.

UPDATE: @unclewebb has pointed out using XTU with TS is no longer necessary, just use the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits check box in the FIVR window instead. You do not need to use XTU and TS together with the latest versions of TS.

OLDER VERSIONS OF TS INFORMATION:
    As for using both XTU and TS, in general you are correct and you shouldn't have ThrottleStop and XTU trying to change the same settings at the same time as they can conflict with each other. You should only ever use 1 at a time to set an undervolt or really any other setting besides the power limits. You could just use XTU to undervolt and set the power limits if it works just fine for you and no need for TS. I've just had more consistent results using TS for undervolting (no issues keeping undervolt after sleeping/boot like I had in XTU) and changing settings like Speed Shift and BD PROCHOT since XTU doesn't have that but on some machines you need to use XTU to set the power limits because the TS ones don't work. I'm not sure which power limits the OP laptops are using since I haven't actually messed with my power limits at all but from what I'm seeing others reporting the setting via TS may not work.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    ZaiArgylle and Installed64 like this.
  3. killerkhatiby009

killerkhatiby009 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yea you don't NEED dual channel to get good FPS, I'm perfectly happy with the FPS I get in the stock single-channel config. BUT dual-channel will absolutely get you better performance in game because most games are memory bottlenecked more than CPU dependent so if you upgrade your memory you will of course see better FPS performance. So I'll try to phrase this slightly differently: dual channel memory will get you the best FPS performance so if you want to get the absolute maximum FPS possible out of this machine then you should upgrade. The difference in FPS is actually noticable when you upgrade to dual channel memory. BUT Nothing is working incorrectly in the stock single channel and for me I am more than happy with the FPS I get so I have kept it with the stock single channel but you simply get better performance with better hardware, this should not be anything new or surprising to anyone. The whole point of putting in better hardware is to get better performance but that doesn't mean the previous configuration was not working correctly, it is simply just not as powerful of a setup. Again, There is no defect or problem or issue with the stock single channel setup, it is performing just like any other single channel laptop will.

4. arcticjoe

arcticjoe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Many thanks again, unfortunately I am getting the same result as with Mint, - I can disable nvidia card, but cannot detect an external monitor afterwards. I am starting to suspect that either my model is slightly different to yours, or possibly my firmware handles video differently. Just out of curiosity, whats your FW + EC versions?

5. 99-0

99-0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    XMG standard Bios is N1.03 and EC 1.29.09. I thought all the Tongfang models are the same. I never had any issues adding an external screen on linux, as long as I had blacklisted noveau.
    Looking on Windows, maybe this helps, although I thought this uhd630 port is the internal one.
    https://imgur.com/a/r08vNIC

It looks like the usb-c port, but I am using the big hdmi port. I am confused. Using Macs and Linux mostly for the last 15 yrs I am a complete Windows noob, so no idea.

nimaim likes this.
  6. nimaim

nimaim Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Same :) Program in embedded C/C++ so have had zero use for Windows for a long time now. If I do need it, I'll use Virtualbox. @arcticjoe I will try to disable nvidia in Mint later today and see if external display still works. I also thought all the outputs were connected to the nvidia GPU. With PRIME and Intel selected, I couldn't get Mint to detect an external monitor connected via HDMI. As soon as I turned nvidia on, I could see it.

@99-0, just wanted to clarify. Mint isn't set up for hybrid graphics out of the box whatsoever. You have to explicitly add and install NVIDIA drivers + settings from a PPA to get it to work. That will put PRIME on. Otherwise, you're stuck with nouveau. Other alternative is you can just keep what comes out of the box on 19.1, which is the older 390 IIRC, this doesn't install PRIME or NVIDIA settings or anything.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  7. Nates4Christ

Nates4Christ Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ah Nvidia Control panel. How I miss thee.

8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    There are multiple sets of power limits. If you are using ThrottleStop, you should click on the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box. This should take care of one set of power limits that XTU has access to that older versions of ThrottleStop did not. Once you do this, there should be no need to run XTU. It is a resource hog that does not always set voltages consistently after resuming.

[​IMG]

@faiz23 - When Speed Shift is enabled, SST in green, do not check the Set Multiplier box. It does not do anything. Run a ThrottleStop log file while gaming, etc. If the Clock Modulation (CKMOD) column in the log file always shows 100.0%, there is no need to check the Clock Modulation box in ThrottleStop because clock modulation throttling is not being used on your laptop. This is an older throttling method. Most manufacturers these days adjust the turbo power limits instead. Fox max performance when testing, I would use an EPP setting of 0.

faiz23, ZaiArgylle, steberg and 6 others like this.
  9. rutabagus

rutabagus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Question for you, is there any way for it to minimize into a small icon in the notification area rather than a open window. XTU does this and I would love to know if this is possible in TS.

Thanks!

10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @rutabagus - Do you have ThrottleStop setup correctly yet? Without any screenshots for me to look at, how can I tell?

If you do not want ThrottleStop to minimize to the Task Bar, did you clear the Task bar box in ThrottleStop? Did you check the Notification Area Icon box in the Options window? Maybe you could check the CPU Temp option and look at a CPU temperature icon in the system tray like I do.