TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks. We have had that mystery going on for several months now. It was first reported by another user way before Bob showed up. And that earlier guy ended up returning his laptop.

This is really important information. Your posts need to be linked back to the first page of this thread. Who is...

Please come back, and like to his posts! Thank you,

Thanks!

Actually, to get further information on this area would be quite useful. As in: the Intel data sheets are not very helpful. Because of the presence of other additional power management mechanisms, and how they are interconnected and affect each other. It's not so simple to understand!

And also differences in way that XTU works. It's really 'does not feel the same' as TS. Also the intel DPTF driver. Because XTU refuses to launch after intel dptf is forcibly disabled.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks!

You have helped to clarify this no end... I am very grateful !

2. 99-0

99-0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    External display works for me. You may have to press that detect automatically button in the display menu.
    the key is the
    w /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0/remove - - - - 1
    command. This removes the dGPU from the pci list. Fun fact: Now my skylake controller holds the device id of the dGPU. I better not repeat this command. :D

In the end, this is a software solution and you can't really brake anything. If you get a black scrren of death because you missed something just hit e in the boot menu and add modprobe.blacklist=acpi_call and you are back to normal. The scripts will leave error messages because the module did not load, but that's it. Oh, and of course the dgpu is back.
    You also may want to call all confs and services something with acpi_call. Simply because when you sudo apt purge acpi_call it removes all the conf files with it. the same reason you never want to put something directly in your soucres list but rather use /etc/apt/sources.list.d and add a whatever.list file there.

nimaim, dreamcat4 and arcticjoe like this.
  3. arcticjoe

arcticjoe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @99-0 I've tried that button, but not had any joy. Which model of this laptop do you have? Mine's GK5CN6Z, 15 inch with 1060. Also, is there any Intel driver that you have installed?

4. ZaiArgylle

ZaiArgylle Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Taking into account that the default TPL values for Turbo Boost Power Max and Turbo Boost Short Power Max are 45w / 78w respectively, would you advise raising the first to 55w?

Even better, If you don't mind, would you share a couple of screens of your complete TS config?

I have, of course, confirmed my unit is configured to correctly use the 180w power adapter

Thanks for your input

5. 99-0

99-0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am on a XMG Neo there is only one version. driver is intel-Xorg i915 with mesa. Oh install the mesa driver I think that might be it. If you have them, I am out of an idea. I never really tried to get bbswitch/prime working since I switched from opensuse. Manjaro did the job automatically, so did debian (adding the mesa dri). On arch I installed them manually. They will brake bbswitch/ prime.
    https://imgur.com/a/1icjsOt

6. oneintheblack

oneintheblack Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if Walmart intends on getting more laptops in stock?

I know there's alot of talk on the "best bios, windows and gaming center combination for the 15+. What bios would be best for the 17+, or do we not have as many options as the 15's when it comes to bios?

Side note. If anyone is still having issues with there powers button not working while plugged in. Try pressing on the left side of the button. It would typically take 3 pushes to get my laptop to come on before I realized that.

7. hodgeMN

hodgeMN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Hard to say on the stock. Walmart was not making any money on these at their sale prices. There was never any issue with powering the laptop on while not plugged in. You simply had to hold the power button for a couple seconds - this was designed to prevent the laptop from being accidentally turned on while not plugged in.

8. faiz23

faiz23 Macbook FTW

Reputations:

I noticed this issue on my system too. As soon as I plugged the power the processor snapped back to 3.9 GHz. I haven't had a chance yet to dig too deep into this issue.

9. dreamcat4

Reputations:
    I am almost certain they have killed all their OP laptops now. Because when you click the nav bar to back out to all laptops. They no longer list 'Over Powered' as being one of the manufacturers that they sell. Its just MSI, ACER, etc. Only the other ones now. Wheras 2 days ago, 'Over Powered' was still being included in the manufacturer filter list.

Seems to be:

they went out of stock --> got some last final shipments --> went back in stock. Sold out again (2nd time) --> went OOS forever now.

10. dreamcat4

Reputations:
    OTOH I *could* be wrong about that. If their filter criteria just happens to automatically hide a manufacturer from being listed if all of their models happen to be simultaneously OOS all at the same time.

Then we would see it re-appear again once at least 1 of the 3 different model types comes back in stock again. But would not hold your hopes up too high.