TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. clone1008

clone1008 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Search works great

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 "SM-N960U" using Tapatalk

nimaim likes this.
  2. GTRagnarok

GTRagnarok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just some cheap one.

3. nimaim

nimaim Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Wow this is great info ... thanks! bbswitch won't do this automagically?

EDIT: Looks like it may, ArchWiki has a similar tutorial to this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/hybrid_graphics

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  4. nimaim

nimaim Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anyone know if the back panel on these is sold separately? Would be nice to play around with some things to make components fit, but not at the cost of breaking something and not having another panel to swap it for ... looking up the number on that bottom case assembly (PMARG5ZY10-0213 FORETECH) yielded nothing on Google.

5. steven weeks

steven weeks Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Snamuh2 likes this.
  6. Trevayne10

Trevayne10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    -

7. jppflg

jppflg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've started experiencing a few issues with my screen. It was flickering brightness once nonstop, but that was fixed with a restart. Now i am frequently seeing lines show up in my scroll bar in Chrome as shown in the attached picture.

Attached Files:

8. macky112

macky112 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    For kyronaut how many repsste on the 15+ can I expect from the smallest 1gram tube?

And is Amazon the best place to get?

9. steven weeks

steven weeks Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    couple, its where i got mine at but i cant do anything cause walmart screwed something up and ups has to ground it to me

10. killerkhatiby009

killerkhatiby009 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wanted to clear something up here: there is no 2nd stick of RAM "fix". The OP 15+ laptop works just as well as any other laptop with comparable specs (i7-8750h, GTX 1060, 16GB single-channel RAM), there is no 35W power limit issue due to the stock single channel RAM (though there is an issue where some devices are coming set to only charge with 150W instead of the full 180W and that is causing some power limit throttling but there is an easy fix for that in this thread and it has nothing to do with the RAM, see the note at the bottom here to check if your power limits are not set correctly).

I don't believe Bob of all trades had Speed Shift fully enabled when testing the OP laptop and so when he set the EPP value to 0 by just doing what he talks about in his ThrottleStop tutorial video it does not actually enable it fully on the OP laptop and thus had no impact, I wish he would post a correction for this to clear up the confusion. Most machines nowadays come with Speed Shift enabled on the system by default but since the OP laptop does not come with Speed Shift enabled by default you have to open the TPL window in ThrottleStop and enable Speed Shift there first for the EPP value to actually have any impact . The other laptops he had tested before probably had Speed Shift enabled by default and so when he set the EPP of 0 it would actually work and that is why he was seeing different power draw on the OP laptop. When you have Speed Shift properly enabled on the OP laptop it will easily pull 45+W when playing Battlefield V with single channel RAM as you can see here:
    https://imgur.com/a/dlQ294n

Now honestly though you don't even need to set EPP to 0, a value of around 80 (I use 84) is what the creator of ThrottleStop recommends to have a balanced laptop. Setting it to 0 is exactly the same thing as setting your Windows Power mode or OP Control Center mode to Maximum Performance which just wastes energy and generates more heat without really getting you any more performance. You might be saving about 10ms of performance since the CPU doesn't need to boost when put it under load and you run it at max boost all the time.

Note on the 180W charging issue: If you open HWiNFO or the TPL window in ThrottleStop and you see your Turbo Boost Power Max set to 55 and Turbo Boost Short Power Max set to 65 then you know the system is configured to use the full 180W charger. If your Power Limit 1 and 2 (PL1/PL2) are lower you'll need to apply the fix that you can find early in this thead by searching.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019