TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. scottydo42

scottydo42 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Beautiful - just ordered a stick. Also, what are the screws for backplate, heatpipes, and trackpad? Phillips/Torx? I saw someone mention here they ordered new screws after they stripped them. Could someone provide a link to that? Thanks.

2. nimaim

nimaim Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That specific adapter only supports 42x22mm and 30x22mm (the half and mini sizes as per the M.2 NGFF spec). Basically something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-256GB-MTS400-Solid-TS256GMTS400S/dp/B075P1JSGL/. I like to completely isolate my OS / boot files from my /home so I'd solely use this tiny one as my boot if I can (and then Linux data on NVM slot 1 and Windows data on NVM slot 2). This is all theoretical of course, it would work obviously but I don't know how and where I would mount it yet.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  3. ApplePi

ApplePi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They are all different size phillips ph00 -ph2 iirc

Edit:
    You could just wrap the drive in Kapton tape use double sided tape to mount it.

4. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ah, but only for a screw hole. What i was trying to point out to you is that: You can in fact adapt the adaptor, so that it may take longer drives (like the 80mm standard size). So long as you can get around that short standoff location. Probably by just insulating it with some plastic electrical tape.

You don't need a screw hole at the 80mm mark if you can keep the thing firmly together by other means. Usually that means wedging against other chassis and / or wrapping the whole thing in more tape. YMMV but that's what I would do. There are a variety of ways to achieve this.

5. nimaim

nimaim Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Oh yea, of course, I just don't know how much room there is to add a 80mm drive. I was just gonna get a dirt cheap 42 to test it first ... obviously the adapter will take a while to come from China / HK.

6. Johnazz

Johnazz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was able to get 2500MB/s write and 3000MB/s read on the NVMe only slot. So I guess the that slot is 4x. I'm using overpowered 15+.

richierich likes this.
  7. ApplePi

ApplePi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Neat, the manual was stating that it's 2x *shrug*

Snamuh2 likes this.
  8. CubicleGangster

CubicleGangster Newbie

Reputations:
    Getting ~3300r / ~3500w using a WB Black 1TB in the NVMe only slot. Have an 860 in the m.2 SATA slot, so can't test NVMe with both. The NVMe only slot is 100% 4x, unsure of shared lanes when using an additional NVMe drive in the NVMe/SATA combined slot though.

richierich and Snamuh2 like this.
  9. Tweak155

Tweak155 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I put my 950pro in the same slot the SSD came in that shipped with the laptop, so I think it's the SATA + PCIe slot. Getting ~2500r / 1500w which are the specs for the 950pro. I would think it would drop to ~1800r if it was a 2x slot.

10. Nates4Christ

Nates4Christ Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    When I am starting up sniper elite 3, my 1060 is not turning on and only the on board intel graphics card is working. I'm using the laptop screen. So my frames are around 20 fps. Anyone else have this issue?