TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. nhidog

nhidog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Kryonaut is thermal paste. Conductonaut is liquid metal. Liquid metal has much higher thermal conductivity but is not straight forward in applying so is inheritedly more dangerous.

Google liquid metal laptop to see how to apply it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. rutabagus

rutabagus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was having very similar problems with a very similar setup. Which BIOS are you running? I had the most recent Mechrevo BIOS and EC and could not solve the thermal issues. I then switched only the BIOS to OP BIOS 1.05 and it was night and day. Instantly solved all my thermal problems.

3. billycuth

billycuth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did the math again today.

For the price I paid ($1,792 including tax) for the AW M15, I was able to buy
    OP 15+ ($699 plus the original tax on my $999 purchase)
    Another Gold Key 16 GB Ram stick
    500 GB 970 Evo hard drive
    Kryonaut Grease
    Windows 10 Pro upgrade code
    Nintendo Switch
    Zelda BOTW
    Civ 6 switch
    Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy (for the family)
    Hollow Knight
    Celeste
    Switch travel case
    Switch protector case (plastic case, plus screen protector)
    Pro Controller
    Have almost $250 left over

Using the points from Best Buy that I got on my purchases, I'll be able to easily get a few more games

Crazy. And on top of it, it's performing just as good if not better than the AW. Despite getting some power throttle limiting, it runs games like a dream and the fans don't even come on as loud as the AW. The Kyronaut made a huge difference. My temps top out at 80C which is a huge improvement. Prior to the dual channel, it would barely hit 74, but that's because the CPU was not able to wind up. I'd like to figure out if I am getting the best performance, but honestly it's running great for my needs. I've gotten used to the keyboard and I am quite happy with the decision. Thanks again Bob!

Installed64, richierich and B0B like this.
  4. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Solid testimonial right there

billycuth likes this.
  5. turbo87

turbo87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, definitely a great deal on the OP 15+. BTW: How is the CIV 6 on the Switch? I have it on the PC.

6. billycuth

Reputations:
    I ordered the switch on Christmas Eve along with BOTW and Civ 6 and it was supposed to arrive last Friday but UPS has been short staffed and they didn't make it on the truck. Monday and Tuesday are UPS holidays so it should hopefully get delivered tomorrow. I've been playing Civ games since I was 11 and being able to truly have a portable experience is something I really look forward to. I know iOS just got the game recently, but I don't use a tablet anymore. I am hoping the Switch can handle all the different controls OK. Obviously PC is preferred. The OP15+ in dual channel handles it with ease...

I can report back on my opinion of the switch version. I'll PM you so as not to clog up this board.

7. Trevayne10

Trevayne10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am very reluctant to mess with, or update the BIOS on these things... I've heard horror stories about users with these laptops losing the RGB keyboard lighting (along with the little light strip at the front), after upgrading the BIOS / EC, or simply changing seemingly unrelated values. They never get the RGB lighting again... supposedly some sort of hardware failure (blown system board fuse or fried MOSFET?)

8. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I’d do it now if you’re within your return/exchange period.

Now is the time to run these through the mud!

9. billycuth

Reputations:
    what's the optimal bios/EC combo in your opinion, Bob? I know you're constantly saying you don't want to be responsible for bricking machines. Please know I wouldn't hold you responsible (nor do I expect any issues). Just curious what your opinion is.

10. rg0019

rg0019 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the latest bio installed. Its the 1.05 bios. I just reinstalled it to make sure. I played some SE4 and still seeing temps in the 90's. I'll order some Kryonaut and see what happens.