TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So on this model and it's similar model is it the 180W max brick offering that really limits the way it could use a i9-8950hk or more it's thermal cooling solution?

Wondering since I've seen some saying to actually fully utilize such a beast in a light chassis it would need a new cooling design outright.

2. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    It doesn't let more than 55W hit the CPU under indefinite power limit, or 45W under simultaneous CPU/GPU stress for indefinite power limit.

I tested one with the 180W brick. No dice.

It games well runs well is nice and cool especially when forcing turbo fans and I was totally happy with it once I figured out how to stop it dropping to 35W PL1 under CPU/GPU stress, but it's not the best unit to use an 8750H in. It is what it is.

The cooling solution also will never handle 120W shoved down its throat. It's bloody impressive and innovative since the temp is only in the middle of the keyboard, away from WASD and things you normally use while gaming, but it's still a thin and light unit.

steberg likes this.
  3. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    So would increased case dimensions like the GK7CN6S enable better ability or is it just reaching the limits to what this current design can do?

4. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    i don't know what the GK7CN65 is because TongFang's naming schemes suck, but if it's the same form factor and just 17", then no. It won't be much better. The 15" is pretty much a 14" with no bezels and a 15" screen as far as size goes and all, but it's gonna be limited by physics. You need bigger fans, probably vapor chamber contacts, and more fin area if you want to dump all that extra heat somewhere. Just widening the chassis a bit won't suddenly add 70W extra dissipating power.

Installed64 and dreamcat4 like this.
  5. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh darn. I went into a whole spiel about this subject. Then the editor lost my post and I cant write that out all again.

The just of it was that:

* Thank you for reminding me about the size and performance of the fin stack being an important factor. Because I had largely forgotten / been ignoring this aspect.

* It's harder to isolate the performance of the fin stack alone.

So what I was going to recommend, was this simple little piece of test equipment. It is pretty useful: The angeng an8009 multimeter.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AN8...ter-Voltmeter-Ohm-Transistor/32842548196.html

The kit version includes 1 thermocouple for free. It's really affordable, only about $25 USD from aliexpress.

And it has many more uses than just only the specific usage I had been describing. For example it can also be used to measure VRM temps. If you follow Gamers Nexus, you should already be pretty familiar with this kind of a tool. However the ones they use are pretty expensive. Doesn't need to be. This product works just as well, it's really no different. Just properly calibrate it. And use regular thermal paste on the end of the thermocouple, for a good thermal contact. This is what all the overclockers do.

6. Chika-chan

Chika-chan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Every time the screen of the notebook is turned off (because I suspend it or it shuts down on the screen alone for not using it), the brightness, even if it is 100%, is as if it were 50% and the only solution I have is to turn off and lock the laptop again so that the brightness is 100% true, it happens almost always and is very annoying, does anyone know anything?

7. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    So these limits would persist with all thin and light typed laptops due to power limitations?

Would a repaste with a new thermal material like thermal grizzly or liquid metal type solutions aid it or is the chassis and its cooling design going to be its primary limiting factor?

8. eiraku

eiraku Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Just dropping this here. Sorry I haven't been active lately, too much stuff going on. Even these I only recently found some time to go to my local assemblers to retrofit, despite them being available for a bit already - so sorry if its not exactly newsworthy.

Still had to post my impressions on these ( "Brown" switches), as they are much, much better noise wise... without completely giving up the "mech" feel (or being a tad too mushy like the semi-membranes on Tongfang's earlier models). They're also much more resistant to "chattering" compared to the old keys. It still happens under certain conditions, though much less during "normal" typing, and its enough of an improvement that I can stop using Chatterfix now. Finally, the XMG-type caps also feel a lot less "loose" compared to the old ones.

The other keyboard on the left? My old "Blue" switch keyboard part with the "old" caps for comparison. After the retrofit my friendly local guys simply let me go back with the thing as a spare lol.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Installed64, Blebleuh and steberg like this.
  9. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It would have been nice for you to make a quick typing test video before / after comparison. And upload that to youtube.

10. eiraku

eiraku Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Like I said, time is a bit of an issue. Maybe later once I can find some free time I'll put that up.