TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Tory

Tory Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry but I never had something like this and under load I never had the fan off. If the act to lift it really works I think you have an hardware issue.
    Have you tried to just wait for the fan to turn on again to see if it's not just a coincidence?

2. steberg

steberg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  3. 99-0

99-0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi @Blebleuh
    Sry for the late reply. No time.

First things first: the Kernel: as an example - We have a Intel UHD 630 gpu. The standard i915 Linux driver does not support this gpu. It works somehow, but thats it. This should be fixed with, if it's true what I read, with Kernel 4.19. Just as an example. Those things may be kind of like fixed with firmware updates but for an optimal performance a proper driver would be a better solution.

Second Manjaro: Tried it and the hardware detection caused hangups. I really like Manjaro, but Manjaro without the formidable hardware detection is just a green Arch Linux. Arch itself caused cpu hard and soft lockups when I tried it. I simply wasn't in the mood to have look why and whether there is a fix or not.

I returned to Kernel 4.18.10 stable, because quite a few libs didnt't seem to work properly. But I still use Opensuse Tumbleweed. A new installation takes about 20 minutes and don't forget, when reviewing the install overview, click on software and check "Kernel development tools", this saves you a lot of time finding which one of the damned oppenssl-dev packages is the right one- Greetings to debian. Oh, when the bar marks install on the installer menu, hit "e" and put right before quiet splash acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2009' and congratz, you have enabled optimus on Linux. Tumbleweed advantage to Fedora is that this boot parameter does not result in 5k of error messages every 3 minutes.
    Basically I had Bumblebee working, but bbswitch ruined the show, because it refused to load - might be some Sellinux apparmour thing, but I couldn't fix it yet. I could optirun something but the gtx refused to switch off, had to reboot then. Not what I wanted. i mean you could just install any driver and blacklist one of them in boot param, if I wanted something like that.
    But basically this guide works:
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee
    To run Bumblebee the system will switch to i915 drv alone and by God that driver is ****, it starts flickering when you watch at a terminal window compile something or it gives a fastly used slider quite a colourful tail.

So I am back using i915 with Mesa libs and it is giving me that
    [​IMG]

I am not exactly a linux gamer and I will probably nerver be one so don't no whether this is good or not. I am quite happy with my Linux install. Spotify works, Netflix works, Steam works - sadly the only game that shows up in my library for Linux is Total War Medieval 2 and that doesn't load, so no idea about gaming performance and I am refusing to buy something just to try it out.
    I tried the gtx 1060 with the driver from the link and glxgears gave me something with 150- I think it was 150000 or 15000... can't remember but def something starting with 150 and fps,
    still haven't tried this:
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way
    but according to the suse community the way to go.
    I basically want to use Linux for work purposes and entertainment. I'm fine with Windows gaming, but that is all I want to use Windows for.

To do:
    System idle is like 44°C, that is too much, so undervolting is the call for the coming weeks. Once this is done write a proper fancontrol conf.
    and to finish with a lot of ifs:
    if Kernel 4.19 fixes, as promised, the i915 driver and if I manage to get bbswitch to work properly and if I finish my to-do list:
    Habemus Linux-Gaming Laptop!

well, at least I'm optimistic regarding Team Fortress 2 https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Team_Fortress_2

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Blebleuh likes this.
  4. steberg

Reputations:
    Downloaded the new Bios with jdownloader. Just paste the link https://pan.baidu.com/s/1YboulLlyHre8kLgvyUXnpA
    and it will parse the page and download the BIOS file without BAIDU promts.
    Updates;
    vbios from 86.06.60.00.29 to 86.06.6F.00.24
    Fan boost button function can now be change in bios to two modes, either FANBOOST or change between OFFICE and GAME Mode.
    Still have the three OTP levels.

Will do more testings later.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    99-0 and Blebleuh like this.
  5. barichon

barichon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello @steberg can I use this BIOS with MY CK5CNZ (1050Ti) ?

6. steberg

Reputations:
    I believe it's only for the 1060 models.

7. barichon

barichon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply if anyone have the last bios for the 1050Ti, I am interested ;)

8. Blebleuh

Blebleuh Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Supernice! In your testings, could you please check what are PL 1 and PL 2 values as well as benchmark perfs for each ODP setting (low, mid and high) ?

I'm not sure about the way to go for the update, as the google translation of the page is not very accurate. Is it the following steps ?
    - launch F file into afuWin64 folder
    - follow instructions on screen
    - launch file into afuWin64cap folder
    - follow instructions on screen
    - after last reboot enter BIOS then hit F3 in order to load optimized defaults from the EC upgrade
    - we're done ?

Before doing any of this I will check registry after uninstalling Gaming center and XTU as @damole suggested (in order to solve the problem that sticks my PL1 and 2 at 35W when using Gaming Center). And I would be happy to have a look on your futur tests :)

Thanks @99-0 for these informations about kernel and driver. So from my understanding, staying with 4.15 kernel makes you have working Nvidia graphics but bad performances with the intel chipset, 4.19 kernel does the opposite (good intel graphic support but bad/no nvidia driver), and 4.18 seems to be the good balance for now ?
    I will definitely have a look at OpenSuse Thumbleweed !
    And also maybe try later to hackintoshize this GK5CN6Z "just for fun" :)

*****EDIT: I checked the registry manually and by using Glary Utility after uninstalling Gaming center and XTU but I found nothing.
    I also tried last BIOS, seems like it keeps PL1 and PL2 to 35W whatever ODP setting you use and regardless weither or not you have Gaming center or XTU installed. So not for me for now.
    However I tried last XMG BIOS which looks much more friendly in term of power limits. I'm now able to get normal PL1 and PL2 (45 and 65W) by doing the following (with XMG BIOS + EC and gaming center 1.2.2.1) :
    - Run XTU, set desired settings and disable Turbo Boost Short Power Max (lets say TBSPM). Apply settings, then turn TBSPM on again, then apply, then disable once again and apply settings, and you're done. This is a very strange behavior and I believe more and more that Gaming Center have a weird relationship with XTU, as it resets SOME of its settings at each startup. That mean that I need to do the described steps every time I turn my computer on. Moreover, during the succession of turning on/off TBSPM, voltage offset paramaters (and only these ones, ICC and not PL1 and 2 are not concerned) are automatically set to 0 in the tuning tab when you press Apply (so they are not applied as 0 but you have to move the cursor again in the tuning tab to apply next settings)...
    I tried to isolate (put in an archive) all XTU related files into Gaming Center installation folder but it changes absolutely nothing. So Gaming center seems to be able to detect either or not XTU is installed on the computer. If it is, Gaming center service will launch XTU service process from the XTU installation folder (and not the one from Gaming center installation folder) and will reset PL1 and 2 again as usual. But if you launch XTU GUI it will tell you that PL1 and 2 are still set to 45 and 65W. So you still have to enable, disable, enable then disable TBSPM to get them work properly. As if disabling TBSPM into XTU actually disables Gaming center PL limits but not the default behavior of the proc (normal power limits with TBSPM turned on).
    About Gaming center related processes : OOBEI2CTpOnOffDetect seems to allow turning on and off the touchpad when double tapping the upper left corner. OSDTpDetect is still a mystery to me. Disabling Gaming center service (through the service manager of WIndows) and/or OEM launch at startup (using the task manager) doesnt help, as the Gaming center icon will not appear at startup.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Installed64, 99-0 and steberg like this.
  9. 99-0

99-0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    comp5, steberg and Blebleuh like this.
  10. steberg

Reputations:
    Were you able to downgrade the EC from 1.33 to XMG 1.29?
    I'm also seeing very crippling CPU performance from Mechrevo 1.16 bios. Would love to go back to XMG. But the new VBIOS is better than the old one. Need someone like Prema to merge the VBIOS from 1.16 to XMG 1.03.

EDIT:
    I just downgrade booth EC and BIOS to XMG, all good! There used to be a brick warning if one downgrade the EC, turns out it was not true! Thanks for the heads up!
    I also use XMG gamecenter 1.15.12 and I'm back to 1225 CB15 points!
    In HWINFO I have PL1 45W and PL2 56W, in Mechrevo bios it was at 35W for booth of them.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018