TONGFANG GK5CN5Z and TONGFANG GK5CN6Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Interesting. Are there any spec of the other switch design to tell what's been changed? Also looks like the keys are larger hexagonal versions

2. esterhasz

esterhasz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,
    Since there are still people using this thread for purchasing decisions and optimization ideas, I wanted to chip in my impressions of the GK5CN6Z.

I got mine this week from the Dutch reseller laptopparts4less. They had really good reviews online and when I got an answer to an inquiry in less than an hour on a Saturday, I went ahead. Their prices are unbeatable. This is my config:

144hz screen
    GTX 1060
    2x8 GB 2400Mhz Kingston Ram
    500GB Samsung Evo 970
    Intel AC-9260 Wireless
    180W adapter
    Liquid Metal Mod with TG Conductonaut
    Win10 Pro

I paid €1410 for this machine, which seems very good compared to other resellers.

I am basically replacing my desktop with this, since I travel a lot and want to play some games on the go. I'll keep using my 13" MacBook Pro (2016) for most of my work tasks, but I'll be running heavier Python/CUDA stuff (data analysis) on the TongFang. Here are some thoughts, based on some of the issues discussed in this thread:
    • The screen is pretty nice, no obvious light bleeding - coming from the MBP, it's certainly not better, but still quite good.
    • I really like the keyboard and don't think that it's that loud, at least not compared to the 2016 MBP, which gets pretty loud itself when typing with some verve.
    • Case is pretty sturdy, no complaints, but it's not a tank either. I was actually surprised by the thinness and weight; I don't have a 2.5" drive, so it's just 2kg and that's really very portable.
    • I was going to do a liquid metal mod myself, but since laptopparts4less offers to do it for €19, I got it from them.
    • I haven't changed the BIOS so far and maybe just stick with it, since I got ~1200 in CB after raising the power limit in XTU and that's pretty fine.
    • I undervolted CPU/Cache/iGPU with -0.125V, so far no problem. Nvidia GPU is undervolted too, using Afterburner. I got the CPU to run at 3.9 steady on all cores in CB and the GPU to ~1950 in the only game I tried so far (Borderlands 2). Both hover around 70C.
    • I was kind of expecting the fans to be louder. Even the Turbo isn't that bad - when I game on my MBP with Bootcamp it's not that much less and both require headphones for optimal pleasure. I plan on optimizing the fan noise under load in the future to find a good balance between performance and sound, particularly for work. I will probably do this by reducing the power limit in XTU.
    • Using equilibrium mode in combination with undervolting means that the machine remains silent in general office use. In the beginning, the fans jumped up to 30% regularly, but with the various mods, even installing some stuff on steam + Netflix + surfing on the side no longer gets them spinning at all. I won't be using the battery a lot, but from some early testing, I expect to get over four hours without difficulty with some aggressive optimization. Using it for an hour this morning for some surfing and YouTube, I lost 18% charge on relatively low brightness.
    • The speakers are, well, horrible. Coming from a MBP, which sounds awesome, they are almost laughably bad. Since I'll keep my MBP as my main computer, I don't mind, but it's still a missed opportunity, I think.
    • I loathe the keyboard effects at startup. I turned them off in the BIOS, which removed the effect during POST, but while Windows boots, there is an effect that I haven't been able to remove and I hate it. I don't want my laptop to make moving colors, ever.
    • I may be too stupid to get this right, but there is no white backlight color, right? I like the per-key RGB, it's nice for programming and gaming, but no white light?
    So far I am really happy with the machine. The keyboard lighting is my biggest gripe and that's probably a bit petty. While I cannot compare, it seems like the liquid metal mod was kinda worth it, the power I am getting from this machine is phenomenal, especially the GPU clock is almost desktop-worthy. But maybe heavier games will push that down.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I found the impressions in this thread very useful for my buying decision, so I wanted to add my own.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 4:50 AM
  3. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  4. BradleyTheory

BradleyTheory Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi! I use equilibirum mode as well and undervolted everthing by -0.120 as well, but I cannot seem to get the fans from staying quiet when even just browsing files/the web. I use office mode with 30% fan at 50 degrees. Could you maybe tell me/PM me about what modifications you applied apart from undervolting and equilibrium mode? Thanks!

5. esterhasz

esterhasz Newbie

Reputations:
    The difference is probably the liquid metal mod then. If the shop did this well (I can't really verify without taking off the heatpipes), it can be a powerful thing. When I just browse or do some light tasks, the CPU hovers around 42C-43C - and the fans only start at 45C IIRC. I'm also in a room that is not too warm - about 20C. We're talking about very small temperatures differences that trigger the fan or not...

6. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    Good review.

Speakers on Laptops in general are way I bought an Amp and good headphones.

To ask what's the feel of the keys while using them.

Like what's the push back and click feel like in use, is there much impedances when trying to rapid click.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 3:38 AM
  7. damole

damole Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In the NBC review was written, "Unfortunately, it oscillated quite heavily during our benchmarks. For example, when running the Cinebench R15 multi-core test core frequencies fluctuated between 2.6 and 3.9 GHz (3.2 GHz on average). Accordingly, it was not surprising to find the Tulpar T5 trailing behind its similarly equipped competitors slightly."

I'm finding it hard to get stable CB results and I'm only using XTU to change TPU and undervolt.

8. esterhasz

esterhasz Newbie

Reputations:
    I have no experience with mechanical keyboards, so it's hard for me to describe the feeling - the keys go down very slightly before the resistance comes and the weight needed to move beyond the click is not a lot. I can mash the buttons very fast and there is no character missed. Sorry if that's gibberish... I did some typing today and I thought that the keyboard was great, although I would much prefer a centered keyboard without the numpad.

I've got TB Power Max set to 70W and TB Short Power Max to 85W, with undervolt of -0.125V and I'm locked to 3.9Ghz on all cores during XTU stress test, getting 1200+ in CB every single time, sometimes going up to 1250. I use Game Mode in Control Center System Monitor and Gaming Mode in the Fan Settings. Temp remains between 65C and 70C. Fans are far from running at full speed. Crazy how much the results for this machine can vary.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 8:16 AM
  9. damole

damole Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just ran on game mode, no changes and I got 682.

Cinebench_0915.PNG

1033 with the fan on turbo.

Cinebench_0915b.PNG

10. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:

There seemed to be something wrong with the Tulpar since it could only pull 150 which might have been the cause of some of its instability.