TONGFANG GK5CN5Z and TONGFANG GK5CN6Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by sicily428, Apr 22, 2018.

1. boidsonly

boidsonly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can someone give me some feedback on what is wrong with some of the data in this screen shot?
    Annotation 2019-01-23 200222.jpg

2. Zeddi

Zeddi Newbie

Reputations:
    Its just going to charge the 4th cell at 600ma linear. Charging speed would only be changed by changing the MA charging rate per cell. You could test this by charging the battery with a balance charger at 2amp per cell vs the 600ma that is the default rate.

Some lipo/li ion/ li/fi batteries are "Smart" and utilize silicon to monitor and manage the following:

16: Battery Status
    08: Temperature
    14: Charging Current
    0A: Current
    09: Voltage
    03: Battery Mode
    0D: RSoC
    0F: RC
    10: FCC

In that circumstance it can be possible to modify the SMB ROM. In which case you could increase the charging current.

http://www.karosium.com/2016/08/smbusb-hacking-smart-batteries.html

3. Zeddi

Zeddi Newbie

Reputations:
    I know that the 960 evo's failed at Hardware encryption. I am not aware of this issue being fixed with the 970 evo series.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/flaws-in-self-encrypting-ssds-let-attackers-bypass-disk-encryption/

"TCG Opal hardware-based encryption on SEDs" vulnerabilities and other issues which for instance are not found with other NVME storage such as intel's. Samsung and Crucial NVME fail at FDE + OPAL + Bitlocker

Unfortunate ;o(

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  4. cletus_cassidy

cletus_cassidy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just replaced the stock battery with the four cell upgrade. No problems at all in installation. But now the z, x, c, and v keys on the keyboard no longer work. I'm pretty sure I didn't bump or bend anything. Any ideas?

Or am I (gulp) destined to send this thing in for warranty repair?

5. Zeddi

Zeddi Newbie

Reputations:

Did you try to gingerly remove and re seat the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard assembly to the motherboard?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  6. cletus_cassidy

Reputations:
    I have not. Is that the ribbon cable in the middle of the MB and right above the battery?

Also, just noticed my numeric keypad is set to navigation (arrows). Did I turn off the equivalent of num lock perhaps or maybe that is related to the keyboard ribbon cable as well?

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    When you use multiple monitoring tools that are all monitoring the exact same sensor at different intervals, it is not unusual for them to report slightly different maximum temperatures. The More Data option in ThrottleStop might give it a better shot at recording the true maximum temperature since this option allows TS to sample the sensors more often than the competition.

Is this what you are really asking or did I miss the point of your screenshot?

I think HWiNFO clears the throttling flag from the CPU so other monitoring software cannot read when thermal throttling is taking place.

boidsonly likes this.
  8. em0ney14

em0ney14 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Your PL1 and PL2 should be 55/65 I believe if you have done the 180 brick update (since I see you have 8750h).

boidsonly likes this.
  9. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah this topic interests me, for the possibility of using a completely different battery (from another laptop). To see if the other battery could be close enough to be made to work. And how the charging circuit / mechanism might have to be altered.

But that is really something for later on, after omre generally identifying [which specific ] batteries have the potential to be good candidates.

10. cletus_cassidy

Reputations:
    Crap, I think I figured out the issue. There appears to be a tiny tear in the ribbon cable (see pic below). I'm pretty certain I didn't nick it or do anything and it's just very cheap but I suspect that is my issue.

Anyway, I guess there are three options:

1. Return to Walmart for a refund
    2. Warranty repair through OP
    3. Attempt to replace the ribbon cable myself

I really want to keep the laptop, so option 1 isn't that exciting but it is easiest. Can anyone comment on OP warranty repair experience? Can anyone comment on replacing this kind of ribbon cable? Looking for advice I guess.

Attached Files: