Tongfang GK5C6X - Evoo gaming 15" EG-LP5-BK - Overpowered V 2.0

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by NYalex, Dec 2, 2019.

1. NorseKnight

NorseKnight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm new to under-volting, but have been reading guides, etc.
    What is PL1?

Also, which utility would you recommend for the CPU? Intel XTU or ThrottleStop?
    What about to undervolt the GPU? Can MSI-AfterBurner do this? I'm getting a Power Limit on it, so shouldn't I be trying to feed it power, not take it away?

2. HardcorePoser

HardcorePoser Newbie

Reputations:
    Awesome, thanks so much for the feedback! Really appreciate your help.

Just to follow-up on the ports question, I believe it's HDMI 2.0 and (2) Displayport 1.2 ports. You can see this on the page of a laptop that's using the same exact chassis: https://maingear.com/vector/

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Hi bro. The BIOS I have is not currently available to the public and I do not have distribution rights. So, in that respect the video was only a tour of the BIOS. These processors have locked core multipliers, so the goal is merely to optimize. There is near zero overclocking capacity because the core ratio limits are capped at specific values. Even so, having the unlocked BIOS has allowed me to run the memory at 3000 and tune the timings for tremendous improvements in performance. It has unlocked SPD write access so I can use Thaiphoon Burner and provides access to other settings and menus that the firmware Nazi control freaks feel that they have some sort of right to withhold access to. So, it is definitely worth doing even with a CPU that is not unlocked. It's more about freedom and having the right to make your own decisions rather than overclocking.

Those temps are way too high. They won't necessarily cause harm to the hardware, but they will harm performance and the diminish the pleasure of owning the product. Pascal and Turing GPUs rapidly lose core clock speeds and the clock speed losses scale in a very dissatisfying manner above 45-50°C. The warmer it gets, the greater the loss of GPU performance due to clock speeds progressively diminishing.

You can definitely reduce throttling and improve temperatures by making adjustments. The default -50mV undervolt is not enough. You should be able to run -125mV offset on the voltage, and that will reduce temperatures. Use ThrottleStop to adjust things that the stock BIOS limitations will not allow you to adjust. Disable and lock turbo power limits. Max out the power limits so power limit throttling is not a factor, etc.

Don't go too far in the BIOS with the undervolt or you could encounter some problems with the machine not booting. But, you can possible go well beyond -125mV using ThrottleStop. The changes won't affect the machine in terms of being able to boot if you go too far as ThrottleStop settings are only applicable while it is running. If you push it too far you can delete the ThrottleStop.ini file and start over with a clean slate.

You're welcome. My pleausre.

Good job finding the answer regarding the ports. Having dual mini-DP is a major win and one of the reasons I selected this product.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    KillTheRiddick likes this.
  4. NorseKnight

Reputations:
    Is there a way to toggle the "fan boost" without opening the EVOO Control Center?

5. genexis_x

genexis_x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    PL1: power limit 1 aka long power max / sustained power limit (considering there's no thermal throttling)

I always prefer Throttlestop

Use MSI AB to undervolt GPU

unclewebb likes this.
  6. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is there a way to stop MSI AB from waking up the GPU if the laptop has nvidia optimus? I noticed MSI AB will wake the GPU in 1 second interval, meaning when you are not gaming, optimus will continuously try to "fight" with MSI AB to turn off and on the GPU. if you look at HWinfo (set monitoring to 1 sec interval), you can see the nvidia gpu switching on and off non stop when you are not gaming. i cant imagine this is good for the GPU.

7. genexis_x

Reputations:
    Unfortunately no. However the applied settings will still be applied without AB running if you enable the 'apply profile when Windows start' option

alexnvidia likes this.
  8. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone have the Amazon link to the larger 67WHr battery? My wife currently has an MSI gs 63VR and I'm considering getting this for her since it has a numpad (mostly because the flipped motherboard makes upgrades difficult for her and tiny fans are annoying). Does the keyboard feel anything like the steel series on the msi? Anyone documented how to fix the trackpad issues? Anyone have the height dimensions for this laptop?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

9. NorseKnight

Reputations:
    So I established that thermals are much better than I had originally tested. After a 30 minute Aida64 stress test, my avg. temp was 80.

So I began under volting with throttlestop, set both core and cache at -.125 mv, other normal adjustments such as disabling PROCHOT, enabling speed shift.
    Started running Aida64 again to test stability and I noticed that next to Limits, the throttle radio button is almost constantly ticked. So what does this mean, what is causing the throttle? How do I fix it?

This is my first time under volting, and read and am following guides, but I don't know what this radio button means.

[​IMG]

10. genexis_x

Reputations:
    Power limit throttling. PL1 is 60w as default